Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2020, 05:06 PM   #1
mercman from oz

Default 17th Australian Early Ford V8 Nationals - Toowoomba - September 2020

Planning is just about finalised for the 17th Australian Early Ford V8 Nationals to be held in Toowoomba, the Garden City. The dates are 4th to 7th September 2020. Why not plan a visit to Australia and take in this great event while you explore this great country. Because of the long distances, V8 Nationals are only held every two years in Australia.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:01 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: 17th Australian Early Ford V8 Nationals - Toowoomba - September 2020

If I was in Australia, I would go just so I could say i have been to Toowoomba, the Garden City. What a great name!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:20 PM   #3
mercman from oz

Default Re: 17th Australian Early Ford V8 Nationals - Toowoomba - September 2020

With the conversion rates so attractive, you should come. The last I heard was that our Australian Dollar only bought 63 Cents US. It is a win, win situation for USA visitors. Unfortunately, it works to our disadvantage when we travel to the USA, and finishes up a very expensive exercise. Even buying parts from the USA is very expensive, as postage has to be added also. Such is life.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:20 PM   #4
Karl

My stepbother and family live in Toowoomba and love it Would be tempted to attend but am travelling to Europe ( Covid -19 willing ) in June for 5 weeks so unfortunately my big trip is that this year fingers crossed -Karl
Old 03-13-2020, 06:54 PM   #5
mercman from oz

Toowoomba, the Garden City is at its best in September. Plan your visit to the V8 Nationals and Toowoomba. You will not be disappointed.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:14 PM   #6
35fordtn

I am actually having thoughts of attending... Doubtful, but I can dream it!
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:19 PM   #7
mercman from oz

Love to have you attend Michael. As I mentioned, with our poor conversion rate, it is a real bargain for USA travellers.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:46 PM   #8
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
My stepbother and family live in Toowoomba and love it Would be tempted to attend but am travelling to Europe ( Covid -19 willing ) in June for 5 weeks so unfortunately my big trip is that this year fingers crossed -Karl
and Karl we are not far off level pegging with the Oz dollar too.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:49 PM   #9
Lawrie

We are both down to the level of the Matabele Peso
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:27 AM   #10
mercman from oz

17th Australian Early Ford V8 Nationals - Toowoomba 4-7 Sept 2020
Old 03-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

mercman, I would love to attend that National Meet!! I was in Australia (your East Coast Cities & Towns) some years ago, on a US Navy Destroyer. During that visit, I told some of the friends we made...I would definitely return some day, but so far that has not happened.
Now, if this COVID-19 mess is over by August '20, I'll be heading to the UK, and will still be there during your V-8 Club Meet, so won't be able to do a return trip to Australia this year.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:24 PM   #12
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
mercman, I would love to attend that National Meet!! I was in Australia (your East Coast Cities & Towns) some years ago, on a US Navy Destroyer. During that visit, I told some of the friends we made...I would definitely return some day, but so far that has not happened.
Now, if this COVID-19 mess is over by August '20, I'll be heading to the UK, and will still be there during your V-8 Club Meet, so won't be able to do a return trip to Australia this year.
Kings Cross for R&R huh John. We know all about K/C
lol I’m sure you had fun.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:13 PM   #13
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Tony you could catch something....... at least there's a vaccine for that!

GB

Old 03-17-2020, 11:44 PM   #14
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Right you are Tony! Our Destroyer Squadron had just finished a two year tour of patrol duty all over Southeast Asia....then we headed for Australia for some serious R&R, with stops in Newcastle, Sydney, Hobart Tasmania, and then up through the South Pacific to Hawaii, and finally to Long Beach, California.
I was very impressed with Australia and all the friendly people we met there, and also could not believe seeing so many Early Ford Flathead V-8 powered vehicles that were still on the road, in daily use.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-18-2020 at 12:46 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:48 AM   #15
Sal

I went to Sydney in 1970 for R+R, loved Australia, great people, food and drink. I did some sight seeing and spent very little time at Whiskey a go-go. Then it was back to the land time forgot. I wish I could go back to Australia, especially for a V-8 meet.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:49 AM   #16
48-710

Talking Re: 17th Australian Early Ford V8 Nationals - Toowoomba - September 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
If I was in Australia, I would go just so I could say i have been to Toowoomba, the Garden City. What a great name!
Tubman,
If you did come down and landed in Sydney you might like to visit Woolloomooloo. Then go down to Victoria and take in the sights of Tangambalanga. Yep, they both exist.
48-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:03 AM   #17
KiWinUS

Spent my 21st birthday in Wangi Wangi
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:48 AM   #18
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48-710 View Post
Tubman,
If you did come down and landed in Sydney you might like to visit Woolloomooloo. Then go down to Victoria and take in the sights of Tangambalanga. Yep, they both exist.
Yep, the original inhabitants of both countries had some great place names. In Minnesota, I live about 5 miles from Lake Oossawinnamakee.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #19
mercman from oz

In these unusual times, planning for these Early Ford V8 Nationals is well underway, but we just have to wait and see if the threat for Corona Virus is under control and we can resume a normal life again. As of 9 PM tonight, no non-Australians will be able to gain access to Australia. Come close to September, if all bans are lifted we will be ready. For overseas visitors from the USA, you will love Australia, especially now that our Aussie Dollar has hit a near all-time low, down to around 55 cents. That means that the American Dollar will just about buy 2 Aussie Dollars. Also, when you see an advertised price, that is the price that you pay, as the Tax is already included. So, save the dates and if all bans are lifted, it will be a great event to be part of, and while you are here, enjoy other parts of our lovely country.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:38 AM   #20
Karl

The New Zealand Vintage Car Club have cancelled their international rally in Taranaki for Jan 2021. I'm not sure if they are pessimistic or realistic -Time will tell -Karl
Old 05-08-2020, 09:11 PM   #21
mercman from oz

This event has been postponed until next year. The dates are 14-17 May 2021.
Please keep these dates in your Diary for 2021.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:20 PM   #22
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post

Planning is just about finalised for the 17th Australian Early Ford V8 Nationals to be held in Toowoomba, the Garden City. The dates are 4th to 7th September 2020. Why not plan a visit to Australia and take in this great event while you explore this great country. Because of the long distances, V8 Nationals are only held every two years in Australia.
Yeah right you reckon : I said that tongue in cheek when I read the first post. sorry I'll take that back Mercman... thought you were being optomistic...... hope you can get it off the ground when the new date rolls around and that this "thing" will be over with.

GB

Last edited by Graeme / New Zealand; 05-08-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:47 AM   #23
fortyonerag

deleted post
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote