Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #1
Superhart

Default Update - Locking Handles

What an adventure this has been. I purchased a supposedly matched pair of exterior locking door handles on eBay because I wanted a locking handle on the driver's side of my 30 Model A Rod. Turned out they were similar handles but not "matched" in that both handles came with keys but they were not keyed the same. Trip to the locksmith. He said the cylinders were sealed so they could not be rekeyed. Bummer. I don't want three different keys plus ignition key. Back to eBay where I see C.W. Moss advertising a pair of "matched" handles. I E-mail them and get a response that indeed both handles are keyed the same. OK, now we are getting somewhere. On a lark I called Moss asking about getting a trunk handle keyed the same as the door handles. The clerk replies that they can special order a matched set of two locking door handles with a trunk handle keyed the same for a $25 surcharge over the cost of the handles. Not bad at all since my locksmith wanted $38 to rekey one handle if he could have achieved it. The fellow at C.W. Moss was very friendly and helpful. I highly recommend them.

I also had the idea of adding a sliding lock button on the passenger door but in order to do that I would need to modify the passenger door latch. No one has told me exactly what modification would need to be done. I even made a valiant attempt to see if I could find a right door original or replacement latch for cars sold in countries where they drive on the left side of the road like Australia/New Zealand. I came up completely empty there. The only latches available are designated USA Spec.

Just passing this info on to anyone who wants a matched set of handles for their Model A or who has thought about doing any modification.
Superhart is offline   Reply With Quote