Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2021, 11:57 PM   #1
ottoschmidt

Default what position for lower rad hose nipple mount ?

Hello Forum,
i have decided to add a factory style water heater to my 1940 ford truck 239 ci v8 flat motor . Everything is good but i am not sure exactly where to tap in to the lower radiator hose on the passenger side with the heater hose nipple . Yes i have the heater hose coming from the firewall clamped to the inside of the spark plug wire conduit near the front of the motor on the passenger side and from there i am not sure .I have a photo of it to that point and that is it . It looks like a tight fit somewhere below with the belt and pulleys and the fan where the photo looks like it drops straight down to where the exact tap in area is on the lower rad hose which the photo does not show . So , the best way i can ask is , standing facing looking at the front of the radiator, does it tap in to the upper or lower end of the lower rad hose and in what position clockwise facing does it go in the lower rad hose being 1`oclock to lets say 11 o`clock .
Thankyou and Best Regards, Otto
ottoschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:54 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: what position for lower rad hose nipple mount ?

I would put it anywhere in the hose that allows the heater hose to lay in its natural state (perpendicular to the radiator hose) and without any undo bends or kinks or interference with other components. ( it's only a return hose)
Here is a guide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg htr3.jpg (114.9 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 01-06-2021 at 09:09 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:22 AM   #3
Newc

I just replaced the original one in a 39 Dlx. It is almost at a right angle outward from the lower hose as to clear the fan and belts. That is before the verticle section of the hose. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:53 AM   #4
Kube

51MERC has graciously included a very good drawing. You can easily see the nipple is installed at an approximate 45° angle.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:06 PM   #5
40larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoschmidt View Post
Hello Forum,
i have decided to add a factory style water heater to my 1940 ford truck 239 ci v8 flat motor . Everything is good but i am not sure exactly where to tap in to the lower radiator hose on the passenger side with the heater hose nipple . Yes i have the heater hose coming from the firewall clamped to the inside of the spark plug wire conduit near the front of the motor on the passenger side and from there i am not sure .I have a photo of it to that point and that is it . It looks like a tight fit somewhere below with the belt and pulleys and the fan where the photo looks like it drops straight down to where the exact tap in area is on the lower rad hose which the photo does not show . So , the best way i can ask is , standing facing looking at the front of the radiator, does it tap in to the upper or lower end of the lower rad hose and in what position clockwise facing does it go in the lower rad hose being 1`oclock to lets say 11 o`clock .
Thankyou and Best Regards, Otto

It should be close to the 11:00 position but lay it out before cutting and be sure that heater hose is not routed inside the fan belt.
40larry
40larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:35 PM   #6
rickranger

Gtt
rickranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:14 PM   #7
ottoschmidt

thankyou 51 Merc for an outstanding drawing and 40 Larry my question has been answered !
Best Regards Otto
ottoschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote