Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
delco1946

Default 1955 crown vic door issues and window power issues

Among the several small issues i'm having, my passenger door is giving me issues. The door looks perfectly aligned, but its getting to the point where someone has to push from the inside and the other pulling from the outside. What gives?? I thought it was potentially an issue with the striker panel but maybe its the latch itself? Anyone had this happen?

Another issue: i just got the carpet replaced, seats restuffed, and it looks beautiful. When i dropped the car off all my windows worked. after picking it up, the rear window relays "click" but the motors don't activate. The shop manual says this means power isnt reaching the rear motors. Before i tear the bench seat out, any thoughts of what to do first??? The repair guy says he didnt disconnect them, but he did remove both the front and rear seats so i think he musta hit something. Does't the power wire go under the carpet???

Thanks, Christopher
delco1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:35 PM   #2
CrownVic55

Default Re: 1955 crown vic door issues and window power issues

Yes, wires go under carpet along side of driveshaft tunnel. There are a couple of connectors about under the front seat that may have been disturbed. Very easy to remove rear seat, just push back and lift on front edge. That will let you get to relays and wiring. I may still have some pictures of when I did my restore on my 55 Crown, if I can find them, I will post some of the wiring.
Ben
CrownVic55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:54 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 1955 crown vic door issues and window power issues

After you get the door opened, do these two tests:
1) Depress the outside door handle button while simultaneously checking to see if the door latch "star" gear rotates freely. If so, okay.
2) Pull up on the inside door handle while simultaneously checking to see if the door latch "star" gear rotates freely. If so, okay.
If both okay, the door latch mechanism is OKay.
3) does the back of the door structure hit against the door striker plate when opening or closing. If YES, the door needs to be pushed forward on its hinges.
4) Door striker plate adjustment may not be properly aligned with door latch mechanism. If the striker plate is binding, re-adjust the striker plate to correct this alignment.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote