Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2024, 04:13 PM   #1
fordor41

Default Y-block top end oiling

So I removed the intake and heads('60 292) to do some cleaning and to check out the valves. also replaced both rocker arm shafts and 3 rockers that were galled badly. with the heads, off I cranked the engine and very little oil visible coming up thru the block. all passageways in heads and groove in block were wide open. ran a small rod down thru the block and contacted the cam brg. Filled oil passageways in the block with penetrating oil and let sit over night. blew air down thru the passageways and not much happened. repeated again and let it set overnight and repeated air and success. the air opened up both passageways and got oil flow cranking the engine. Reassembled the engine and started and have good oil flow into all rockers and out both overflow tubes. My question is, could I have too much flow out the overflow tubes. has a steady stream out both. Don't want to starve the cam brg. checked all my manuals and a Ford dealers manual and no info on how much flow should be expected. I could pinch the ends of the overflow tubes a bit to keep some pressure on the cam brgs and still have good lub on the rockers. anyone got any thoughts?
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 07:03 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: Y-block top end oiling

In stock form you get a steady stream of oil coming out of the overflow tubes.

If you would prefer getting more oil to the rockers, crimp the end of the tubes a little to reduce the amount. The other method is to plug the holes in the tube and them drill a small hole so you get some oil to the distributor and timing chain.

Some plug the tubes w/o drillling a hole. To me, this is extreme for a street engine.

For my Y's, I have one with the tubes lugged but drilled a small hole it it while the other is just factory.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 03:33 PM   #3
Gene F

Oh gosh be careful. Once you change those tubes you are committed. Now that you have the sludge out, do this. Next time you change the oil (which hopefully is often) put 1/2 quart of plane jane ATF in the crankcase, and let the engine run un no load for 20 minutes. Shut it off, and let it sit for 10 minutes or so. Change the oil and filter letting it drain well. Do it this way always and problem solved.

Ya know about the 6 quarts (the extra uart for y-blocks) with oil and filter change thing, right?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:31 PM   #4
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Y-block top end oiling

Quote:
Once you change those tubes you are committed. Now that you have the sludge out, do this. Next time you change the oil (which hopefully is often) put 1/2 quart of plane jane ATF in the crankcase, and let the engine run un no load for 20 minutes.

I hope you mean add the ATF to a regular oil fill and not just run the engine on 1/2 QT of fluid ...

Listen, those tubes are there for a reason(s). If they flow properly leave them alone unless building a HP version. Ain't no 312 S/C engine we are dealing with here.

If you decide to go full suicidal and flush an old engine like this, expect the oil pump pickup screen to become fouled. All you have to worry about is the inside of the shafts being clean and no damage(s) to the outer surface of the shafts and rocker arms with proper oil pressure.

The proper oil will clean the engine over time.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:47 PM   #5
fordor41

I saw that one of the y-block builders eliminates the overflow tubes to get more oil to the rockers. I decided to do as Ford did. just wondering how much oil out the overflow tubes to expect. Am getting nice oil supply to all rockers. I change oil/filter every 2500 miles as I don't have any history on this engine. It appears that it has been rebuild at one point. Was pretty clean from what I saw inside and could hardly feel any ring ridge at top of the cylinders. Think I'll stick with a done deal!
Old 04-03-2024, 06:01 PM   #6
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Y-block top end oiling

Quote:
I saw that one of the y-block builders eliminates the overflow tubes to get more oil to the rockers. I decided to do as Ford did. just wondering how much oil out the overflow tubes to expect. Am getting nice oil supply to all rockers.
YOU'RE BLESSED. Not many can say that with an old FYB.

Those tubes ensure proper timing chain and DIST drive gears lubrication.

The modification is meant for a HP application. The tubing size dictates the amount of flow expelled ( ? ... college word ... ). The engineers figured that out.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:43 PM   #7
miker98038

I’m not arguing about checking the oil screen, but if everything else was clean there probably wasn’t enough junk in the small passage to plug much up.

The rockers on my yblocks are metered. But both mine see 4000 rpm frequently, 5000 on occasion, and hit the rev limiter at 5500 when the devil makes me. High lift long duration cams, heavy valve springs. These are the exceptions K is talking about. High loads on the rockers.

You’ve got good oil flow and I saw your post about oil pressure in another site (at least I think it was you). Just change the oil a couple times at shorter intervals and enjoy the ride.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:07 PM   #8
fordor41

thanks for info guys
Old 04-03-2024, 10:29 PM   #9
fordor41

This engine runs like a dream, even with a 2 sp fordomatic. love it!