Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #21
MikeK

Default Re: Dyna Beads with Filtered Valve Cores

Hopefully you put the beads in while the valve stem was OUT! I'm surprised the vendors don't sell metal stem tubes with the beads already inside. It's a piece of cake to get them in without the valve stem installed. 30 seconds with a funnel.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #22
BILL WILLIAMSON

Cape Codder,
Let us know how well the Dyna-Beads work & I wonder if the Dyna-Beads "might" help your original wobble problem, in case it's caused by a side to side balance problem. Bill W.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
Cape Codder

Bill,
It will not for a while as I am going to have the wheels powder coated after I straighten some spokes.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #24
160B

I have installed several sets of metal valve stems in my own tubes.

All very successfully.

After I have installed the metal valve stem I inflate the tube until it was nice and full. Then tie a string tightly around the tube and let it sit for a week or two. With the string around the tube it is very easy to identify if you have a small leak.

Find the leak do the repair and redo the string test until you are sure you do not have a leaker.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #25
Brian29

I have used dyna beads for about 5 years. Work good and on a 29 no glue on weights. You don't need the filtered cores, just keep stem towards top when servicing tire. Just above 9 and three o'clock is close enough. That's in the directions. No smart a-- remarks about digital required here! To get them in take out valve core and get a small funnel. Place beads in funnel and get an electric etcher, you know for marking tools. Place etcher on side of funnel. The vibrations let the beads fall right in. Keeps beads from binding in funnel. Extra hands help and little kids love to watch the beads go in!
Brian29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #26
lindy williams

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have installed 15 metal stems in tubes and cut off the rubber stems. No failures. Its not that difficult.
lindy williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:33 PM   #27
H. L. Chauvin

A few things have been experienced by some Model A owners since this post first appeared several years ago.

Just one (1) very recent Model A Tire/Tube experience and humble opinion:

If one ever removes one "bias" tires and installs Coker "Radial" tires with Coker "Radial" tubes, with the shorter metal stems vulcanized in the tubes and pre-tested for "no-leaks" by Coker, with four (4) ounces of Dyna-Beads provided in each tube, the experience will be about like comparing the driving an un-restored Model A out of a junk yard ....... and next jumping into and driving a brand new 2017 SUV.

When driving a Model A on today's highways .... with today's drivers .... for ease of handling, much more tire rubber in contact with the pavement, smooth rides, and most importantly "Life Safety" for family members ...... I will never, ever buy any brand of cheaper Model A "bias" tires and tubes after experiencing this type of Model A tire comparison.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #28
phonconn

I guess I will put in my two cents. I bought a set of China inner tubes as Jeff at Brattons said they were the only tubes on the market still made with rubber. It is a task to remove the rubber stems that are not rubber stems just rubber coated. They have a brass core inside and so just a simple cut off is not how you remove the old stem. Anyway I was able with patience to use an exacto knife and follow the brass stem into the tube cutting away no more than was necessary to remove the stem. Once removed we cleaned up the remaining surface with a floppy sanding disc to smooth out the top of the remaining rubber. Doc Kalinka advised me to use plenty of rubber cement not only on the stem but also inside the tube as a lubricant to get the base of the new metal stem inside the small hole that was in the tube. We found it easiest to have someone stretch the tube over an open vise and the other person push the stem down into that iddy bitty hole. That is where having lots of rubber cement helped to stretch out the hole and made the stem fit in good and tight. Taking time to remove the old stem is the most time consuming part but is easy and good practice to become a surgeon. Doc also advised me to mount the tube soon thereafter to help seal the stem inside the tube.
On a different note I asked Jeff at Brattons where the stems were assembled in the tubes and he told me he is the one that does that operation there in their store so it was encouraging to know that even the suppliers have to do it the manual way.
phonconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #29
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian29 View Post
I have used dyna beads for about 5 years. Work good and on a 29 no glue on weights. You don't need the filtered cores, just keep stem towards top when servicing tire. Just above 9 and three o'clock is close enough. That's in the directions. No smart a-- remarks about digital required here! To get them in take out valve core and get a small funnel. Place beads in funnel and get an electric etcher, you know for marking tools. Place etcher on side of funnel. The vibrations let the beads fall right in. Keeps beads from binding in funnel. Extra hands help and little kids love to watch the beads go in!
Good to hear about your findings! But may I suggest starting a new thread ?
Old 07-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #30
Cape Codder

I was looking thru some old posts and saw that I was one who made some comments to the Dyna Beads for wheel balancing.

Well everyone is always saying get back to the board to let you all know how something turned out. It has been almost four years since I last posted on me installing the Dyna Beads. I have had no problems with the front end since.

I must also say that I replaced the pitman arm and aligned the front end at the same time. I do have over 7300 miles on the car since I did the Dyna Beads.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #31
Gary WA

I have metal Stems with Dyna Beads Installed! No problem I used an Engraving tool against the stem as I installed the beads-vibration! Worked Great! My Four Dr, rubber stems with Dyna beads No problem with installation either!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (76.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg walter dripping nose.jpg (19.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #32
Synchro909

With the number of miles I've done in my As, I have, over time had to make all sorts of repairs - often roadside. As for tubes, the first ones I had were rubber stems but the brass core supposedly vulcanised into it came loose. I drove for many thousands of miles with a small hose clamp around each stem to seal and hold it in.
As for replacing the valve stem, when the time came to do a decent job on the above tubes, I used replacement stems which I think are no longer available but something the vendors might look at. They were a stick on arrangement, just like gluing on a patch with a rubber stem. Of the 15 wheels on my 3 As, I'd reckon about 4-5 have this repair and none have given any trouble. I have only 2 left and they have metal stems. These ones are branded Schrader and Made in England. Others I have had had a larger rubber base.

Just did some googling and found that these are still available: http://www.gemplers.com/valve-stems
Amongst others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Valves.JPG (61.7 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Synchro909; 07-13-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote