Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2019, 03:13 AM   #61
whb52ford

Default Re: No reverse BW R-10

I don’t know how to PM him or how to find his name on here. I know PM means private message, and it stops there. Willing to learn, but need help
whb52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:47 AM   #62
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by whb52ford View Post
I don’t know how to PM him or how to find his name on here. I know PM means private message, and it stops there. Willing to learn, but need help
Go to the "1939-48 Transmission Rear Thrust Washer...." thread below. One of the responses is from "Mac VP." Click on his user name; several options will appear, one of which is to send him a PM.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:20 AM   #63
whb52ford

I found him and sent him a pm. Thanks for the good instructions. I'll let you know what the problem is when it's fixed. Thanks
Old 09-28-2019, 02:08 PM   #64
whb52ford

I have not heard from Van Pelt, not sure how often he is on here.

i took the back off the tranny.
I think I have the wrong rail. Here is why.

In the photo the rail does not go all the way up to the adapter plate. I would think it should go all the way up.

In the had drawing I think the recess in the rail is to far to the left and should be more to the right so that the od pin will move the sungear more into the planetary gear. I don't think it can physically move the rail enough to lock it in.

Everybody has been focusing on the sungear and planetary gear.

Comments ???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rail.jpg (36.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Drawing.jpg (50.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-29-2019, 06:34 AM   #65
Frank Miller

Here is a pic of mine. The round part slides into the pawl to keep it from engaging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg od rail.jpg (67.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 09-29-2019, 08:57 AM   #66
whb52ford

I believe I have the Pawl in correct because it will let the rail pass when solenoid in off position. However I noticed that when I shift into reverse that the rail comes out, but only part way. The spring compresses and as you can see the sungear is not going all the way into the planetary gear. I don't have the case on so maybe with the case it would support the end of the rail. I lift or jiggle the rail and the rail moves out more, but not enough to push the sungear all the way into the planetary gear. If move the drive shaft the sungear still does not go into the planetary gear all the way. I can take the rail and with little effort push the sungear into the planetary gear all the way. What would prevent the sengear from going all the way into the planetary gear?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reverse.jpg (45.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 09-29-2019, 10:15 AM   #67
rotorwrench

The spring mechanism on the shift rail allows the rail to push the fork & gear up to the planet carrier and then spring loads it against there until there is an alignment of the splines where the sun gear will then engage the planet carrier under that spring tension. With some rotation, the spines should engage each other and lock out the planetary drive. If it won't lock out then it's either a poor spline fit or the shift rail isn't long enough to push it back as far as it needs to go for complete engagement. The sun gear splines have to be long enough for engagement and there should be no blockage such as a problem with the internal ID of the sun gear on the gear section output shaft. It should slide easily on the shaft.

Another thing that needs to be considered is some sort of blockage of the shift rail. If the pawl is properly located, it will fit into the groove on the pawl which locks the pawl from movement. There can also be crud in the tail shaft housing where the shift rail is supported. If it blocks the movement then it won't lock out. This could be a problem on the older transmissions that had the electrical lock out switch back there behind the shift rail bore. They used a ball bearing in the old ones in 49 & part of 1950 and sometimes that would get fouled up and not let the rail move back. If yours is a later one, it shouldn't have a rail switch since Ford finally deleted it as a redundant component.

If it has the wrong shift rail then you will need the correct part. They made a lot of different shift rails for the different transmissions and they all look similar but are not all the same. That needs to be verified for sure.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-29-2019 at 10:32 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:42 PM   #68
40cpe

I keep looking at the guide from the case through the hole in the pawl. It looks crooked like it might be creating a drag in the hole in the pawl. Maybe it is just the photograph, but It should not be dragging on the pawl.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:39 PM   #69
Frank Miller

I noticed that too. I'm hoping from my picture he can reference how long the shift rail should be. That cut out at the end is to activate the reverse lockout switch.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:51 PM   #70
rotorwrench

It does look like the two shafts aren't parallel to each other. They have to be for the rail to move properly. As I mentioned before, they made a lot of different shift rails on a similar pattern but there were a lot of differences. Ford, GM, & Studebaker as well as others used different type transmissions with R10 overdrives grafted on the back so there are differences. The shift rail & shift rail pilot stub may have even had different center to center dimensions as well as the notch cut in the rail for the lock out lever. Ford used at least six different designs or more for Borg Warner pattern overdrives. Lincolns had several, Fords & Mercurys had more than a few. The 259 series, the T85, and the T86 transmissions were all used with overdrives of either the R10 or R11 variety and that's just Ford Motor Company.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:49 PM   #71
whb52ford

I took a piece of paper and cut it so I would have something square to check the pin without taking off the rail. Sure enough the pin was just a bit off. I took a big hammer and kept hitting the pin, checking it after every tap till I got it perfect. I took a light file and went over it in case I made any flat spots or out of round. Then I tried it and it worked perfect. When I put it into reverse, the rail popped out all the way. I put it back together and this time I bench tested it with vice grips on each end of the shafts. Neutral and both ends free. Into reverse and it was tight on both ends. I got it into the car, but it got to late to finish it. I think that pin was the problem.

A great big thank you for noticing it.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #72
whb52ford

Transmission in. I have reverse and overdrive works.

Bent pin, simple fix.

Big thanks to 40cpe for catching it.

Thanks to everyone for all your help.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:34 AM   #73
tubman

WOW! That was quite an ordeal; I'm glad you got it fixed. I have been watching this closely because I am about to put an OD transmission in my '51.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:37 AM   #74
40cpe

you deserve the credit for sticking with it. Many would have given up and installed a standard 3-speed.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:38 AM   #75
whb52ford

You will love the OD. Best thing I have done to the car. The weak link is the relay that mounts to firewall . Get a good one.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #76
hook00pad

Way to go, bud. Like my Mamma says "Don't ever quit!" Ha Ha, she's almost 99 and hasn't quit yet!

Al Hook
hook00pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:59 AM   #77
Frank Miller

This is one for the books. A lot of guys here with experience and the problem was not obvious. It's good to keep these obscure problems filed away because it'll go quicker the next time someone has it. Thanks for keeping us all updated.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #78
rotorwrench

If I quit learning something new on this old stuff then I'd be dead. A person may never see all the different things that can happen in one lifetime.