Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: What should I know about 36 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
I guess that if one wanted to perpetuate this "can-o-worms" tale that vapor lock came built-into these old Fords from the factory as a "normal" accessory...well I ain't gonna re-open that already-opened can. DD
I'll make a statement here that some folks are possibly having a difficult time differentiating between the differences...MY real-world opinion only. I know that vapor-lock is a REAL phenomenon. I also contend that vapor-lock is a condition that can be realistically addressed and corrected...WITHOUT band-aids to mask the REAL cause(s). DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #22
Shadetree

A `36 Ford Coupe is a very desirable car. From my experience you are way ahead to buy a finished car (if it is done right and knowing the difference) than a fixer-upper. It is amazing how much can be spent trying to make it right.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #23
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgiljr View Post
Here is a picture of the engine I received today. What can you guys tell me about it?
From what can be seen in the picture, the car is an older restoration, set up for driving, not for point judging on a Concourse. In some ways, this can be preferable, other ways not. Older restorations usually were not as meticulously restored as are show cars today, but were intended to be mechanically sound.

Your engine picture shows several minor incorrect features for the year, all of which also show that it has been driven a fair number of miles, a good indication, as I'm sure you want a roadworthy car. The only major incorrect item is the cast iron heads, which again, are more desirable from a reliability point of view. The big question remains as to the internal condition of the engine, and whether it is a babbitt engine or an LB engine, or even a 1937-38 engine, which would also be preferable to a babbitt engine.

It appears to have an Easter color: Bambolina Blue, available for a short time only as an option in the Spring of 1936. The condition of the paint that is shown in the picture is fair, but again, this is a driver, not a show car, and unknown how many coats of paint are actually on the car.

A car like this can provide a great deal of fun for an owner who wishes to simply drive it and maintain it, and make ongoing minor improvements. It should be reasonably priced, being a 5W Coupe driver, you won't be spending a huge amount of money initially to purchase the car.

The major things to look for now are condition, everything visible except mechanical condition, that to be determined by a good long test drive, and if the seller is willing, a compression test.

Again, I strongly advise you to get the opinion of a seasoned '36 owner. As the car is 7 hours away, check the area for V8 Club owners, many of which will certainly be familiar with the car in question, some also may be willing to check the car on your behalf before yo make the trip.

Be aware upfront that if the car is outstanding and also reasonably priced, it will be known locally and will not remain on the market for very long, so don't sit on your thumbs.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #24
Hgiljr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
From what can be seen in the picture, the car is an older restoration, set up for driving, not for point judging on a Concourse. In some ways, this can be preferable, other ways not. Older restorations usually were not as meticulously restored as are show cars today, but were intended to be mechanically sound.

Your engine picture shows several minor incorrect features for the year, all of which also show that it has been driven a fair number of miles, a good indication, as I'm sure you want a roadworthy car. The only major incorrect item is the cast iron heads, which again, are more desirable from a reliability point of view. The big question remains as to the internal condition of the engine, and whether it is a babbitt engine or an LB engine, or even a 1937-38 engine, which would also be preferable to a babbitt engine.

It appears to have an Easter color: Bambolina Blue, available for a short time only as an option in the Spring of 1936. The condition of the paint that is shown in the picture is fair, but again, this is a driver, not a show car, and unknown how many coats of paint are actually on the car.

A car like this can provide a great deal of fun for an owner who wishes to simply drive it and maintain it, and make ongoing minor improvements. It should be reasonably priced, being a 5W Coupe driver, you won't be spending a huge amount of money initially to purchase the car.

The major things to look for now are condition, everything visible except mechanical condition, that to be determined by a good long test drive, and if the seller is willing, a compression test.

Again, I strongly advise you to get the opinion of a seasoned '36 owner. As the car is 7 hours away, check the area for V8 Club owners, many of which will certainly be familiar with the car in question, some also may be willing to check the car on your behalf before yo make the trip.

Be aware upfront that if the car is outstanding and also reasonably priced, it will be known locally and will not remain on the market for very long, so don't sit on your thumbs.
Great information not only from you but everyone else. I do agree, right now I am not looking for a show car as I know that would be way above my budget. From the looks of other pictures and from what the seller tells me the car is in pretty decent shape as it shows no rust and engine runs just fine. I did check the area for a V8 club owner, but no one is near. They are actually about 5-6 hours away as well. You bring up a great topic, what is to be considered a reasonably priced 36 coupe deluxe (I say deluxe as it has two rear lights). Thanks again
Hgiljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #25
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NH View Post
36 had negative ground ?
The '36 was 6 volt positive ground from the factory.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #26
ford38v8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgiljr View Post
...You bring up a great topic, what is to be considered a reasonably priced 36 coupe deluxe (I say deluxe as it has two rear lights). Thanks again
Hoo boy, I was waiting for that, and i'm not gonna bite. I will give you an idea on relative value of the different models for the year, starting with the most valuable:

Convertible Touring Sedan
Convertible Sedan
Phaeton
Roadster
Cabriolet
Club Cabriolet
3 Window Coupe
5 Window Coupe
Tudor Touring
Tudor
Fordor Touring
Fordor

As you can see, the 5W Coupe is just above the sedans in value, the 3W being just below the open cars in value. Don't confuse one with the other.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #27
BrianCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Hoo boy, I was waiting for that, and i'm not gonna bite. I will give you an idea on relative value of the different models for the year, starting with the most valuable:

Convertible Touring Sedan
Convertible Sedan
Phaeton
Roadster
Cabriolet
Club Cabriolet
3 Window Coupe
5 Window Coupe
Tudor Touring
Tudor
Fordor Touring
Fordor

As you can see, the 5W Coupe is just above the sedans in value, the 3W being just below the open cars in value. Don't confuse one with the other.
The 3 window sits higher on my list and the conv. sedans go below the cabriolet.
It's impossible to set a value on the blue coupe without a close inspection.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #28
Hgiljr

Hey it was worth a shot. I did get more pictures today and from seeing them the car does have hydraulic brakes and was converted to 12volt battery. Under body pictures from looking at them looks clean. Can't see major issues from them, but again it is a box of surprises.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #29
Mike in AZ

rumble seat??....trunk??....has spare tire cover??....is it in working order??....banjo steering wheel??....if rumble seat, does passenger tail light stand have step??....if you looked at the two up for sale on epay, one has rumble seat setup, but no step on passenger tail light stand.....are you going to check the car out in person??.....maybe someone here on the 'Barn could check it out for you or with you??.....good luck....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #30
Hgiljr

At Mike:
1. Yes to Rumble Seat
2. No Trunk
3. Yes to Spare Tire cover
4. Yes in working order
5. Yes to Steering wheel
6. Passenger side tail light does have step setup

I am planning to as soon as I decide on it as it is a 7+ hour drive. Thanks again for help
Old 09-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #31
Hgiljr

By the way... Saw the one on epay, very nice restoration even though it was a bit more custom then original. If someone wants to look at the pictures I have to provide their feedback, send me a message. It would greatly be appreciated. Thanks again
Old 09-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #32
ford38v8

No no, it doesn't work that way! You post the pictures here for everyone's benefit please!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:37 AM   #33
Hgiljr

Was trying to avoid attaching so many pictures, but here you go. Comment away...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6047.JPG (46.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6046.jpg (36.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6045.JPG (49.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6042.JPG (43.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6041.jpg (34.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6040.JPG (53.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6038.JPG (34.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6037.JPG (52.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6036.JPG (42.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6035.JPG (34.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6034.JPG (39.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6033.JPG (56.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6032.JPG (70.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6031.JPG (67.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6030.JPG (71.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 09-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #34
Hgiljr

Some more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6029.JPG (50.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6028.JPG (48.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6027.JPG (57.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6026.JPG (58.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6025.JPG (48.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6024.JPG (48.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6023.jpg (27.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6022.jpg (20.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6054.JPG (42.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6053.JPG (56.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6052.JPG (58.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6051.JPG (32.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6050.JPG (45.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6049.JPG (31.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6048.JPG (34.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 09-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #35
ford38v8

Good repop running boards
tire wear shows tramping
Only partially dismantled before a fair to middlin' paint job
Possible fender bender, required removal/replacement of fender & inner panels
Frame brush painted, decent job
Danger: Haphazard method of brake hose routing
Minor water leaks at front of engine
Nice woodgrain
DIY installation of new upholstery
New wire harness
Repop glass
Good repop roof insert
front spring needs attention: May be incorrect spring with covers

Pictures show only part of the story. All in all, seems like a damn good driver, little surface rust, some good work has been done, major attention required at suspension and brakes.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #36
Hgiljr

Thanks Alan for your review and feedback. I was just looking at NADA price sheet which ranges from $11k to $27k. From these pictures, any idea what would be a fair market price on the car?
Old 09-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #37
ford38v8

As I told you previously, I would not care to venture a guess, as it wouldn't be any better than the toss of a coin without personal inspection of the car. I would say that a car in this condition would be well known to V8ers over a wide geographical area, as it has been driven regularly rather than hidden away in a garage. Being known to the local V8ers as up for sale, it very well could have been sold to one of them if the asking price were close to market. The seller must know the market, and is holding out for what he believes is top dollar for the present time. If you believe that there is no finer example of this model on the market, then let your judgement talk with your pocketbook.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #38
flatheadfan

Humm...... My initial response from the pictures shows some previous owner wasn't too concerned with details. Such things as painted over fender washers suggests that the car was put together and than painted. Not how most of us would do it. The hydraulic brakes may "work" but would never win an engineering award. Missing the lower radiator pan. Missing cotter pins. All-all, the 'details" often give you some clue as to what the big picture is really like.

Remember, buying a car via pictures and a glowing description is a lot like on-line dating. What you "think" you are getting has no relationship to what shows up at the door.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #39
JM 35 Sedan

I am viewing these pictures with my iPhone because my commputer is down, so pictures are small. It would be nice to see more pictures of the rear suspension rather than just the center banjo housing. Would also like to see some exterior shots of the whole car and some full view interior shots, including dash, etc. Some shots of the bare floors that are not covered with floor mats would be good.
I don't believe any of the front suspension in this car is '36. Axle, wishbones, spindles, spring, axle/perch pins all appear to be '37-'41 or possibly later. '39-'41 backing plates. This is not all a bad thing for a driver. I am thinking this car has been pieced together with parts that happened to be available. If I get my computer back up soon, I will take another look at the existing pictures on a bigger screen. Maybe by then you will have more pictures posted that I requested above. Maybe I can also take a best guess on the value range that I would have in mind for this car. I would pm that to you rather that post here. I bought a complete and mostly original '35 5w coupe a couple years ago. So I have a fairly good idea of what folks are asking vs. what they are getting for these coupes.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 09-27-2013 at 12:04 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote