Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Late V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default 1955 F-100 engine & tranny

I pulled an engine out of my grandpa's old 1955 F-100. I'm pretty sure that it's original. It's a smaller V-8 with green paint on the block (I don't know if that matters) and it ran good when my dad parked it about 6-7 years ago. It is totally complete. I've also got the 3 speed transmission out. I was wondering if anyone here might know how much these might be worth. A guy at an old Ford parts place offered me $100 for the transmission a year ago. I know that he'd sell it for more than that so it's probably worth something. I am thinking about selling them so I was wondering what I should ask.

Thanks,

Alex

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: 1955 F-100 engine & tranny

The engine could be a 239 which is pretty much worthless except to a numbers perfect restorer. Very hard to find parts and except for the 54 Merc 256 very little interchanges with the 272/292/312.

Look for the casting ID on the drivers side of the block below the exhaust manifold. If it is EBU or EBV its a 239. EBV is a truck engine, EBU is a car block.

The 272 also was available in 55 and that is a bit better but not by much. Luckily it can be bored and use all stock 292 pistons but it still has low performance heads.

I see both typically in the $100-200 range for complete runners.

The 3spd tranny brings $100-150, standard column shift or HD floor box. Usually wanted by those removing the monster 4spd.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Default Re: 1955 F-100 engine & tranny

bummer