Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2021, 05:55 PM   #1
will.rynerson

Default Bed sides to bed frame rivet 1945 p/u 1/2 ton

Has anyone had the opportunity to put together a bedframe with the bedside‘s using rivets. I purchased the rivet kit and rivet set tools. But I’m not sure where all the rivets ago there’s five different sizes and head types. So a little help would be awesome.

Thanks Will

“1Tim 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.”‬
will.rynerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:52 PM   #2
GB SISSON

Default Re: Bed sides to bed frame rivet 1945 p/u 1/2 ton

When I bought my 47 tonner the bed was in it's many pieces. It came from California and was in great shape. I used a combination of 1/4 20 and 5/16/18 carriage bolts to re-assemble it. I know you asked about rivets, but the kids and grandkids like the heck out of it and we have a blast driving and riding in it. Just sayin.... I am probably way older than you so I just want to have a good time with my old junkers while I am still here. If you are going to the shows, then that's a different story and listen to those knowledgeble in the proper rivets.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:34 PM   #3
Grassman

Hi Will, I got my Truck box and components from Northern Classic Trucks, it came with 2 different rivets; 3/8x3/16 round head (10) and 3/8x3/16 truss head (28) the truss heads put the sides to the sub frame and the round heads put the bed front panel to the sides, heads on the outside, don't forget to prep and prime all the surfaces that will be covered up after assembly so you don't have rust. hope this helps, David
Grassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:28 AM   #4
will.rynerson

Thanks so much! Yes priming is done! I purchased a bed rivet kit from C&G I’ve got the rivet set for 1/4” and 3/8” every helpful.

Thanks

“1Tim 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.”‬
Old 06-16-2021, 09:30 AM   #5
will.rynerson

Thanks for the info, I’m 58 no grand kiddos yet but that can change quickly ;-).

Old 06-16-2021, 10:26 AM   #6
Bob NH

When I built the new bed on mine, I used 1/4-20 bolts with knurled bodies ,nuts and lock washers inside and it pulled the subframe and sides together nicely. I had to buy a fairly good amount and have a lot left if anybody would need some ? (I even took time to remove the markings on the bolt heads so they look pretty much like rivets)
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:55 AM   #7
will.rynerson

Awesome, yeah I’ve already bought the rivets and I think that I’ve got it pretty much figured out as far as for the rivets go now but yeah thank you for telling me how you did it I really appreciate it just in case the rivers don’t work I’ll be able to try some other methods.