Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2020, 06:15 PM   #1
fourfords

Default Price of cars down, price of parts up

Interesting how the price of V8's seem to be going down. Yet the price of V8 parts are in some cases out of sight??

Example: My first V8 purchase of a running, driveable, complete 1940 Deluxe Coupe is the same price listed of just a radiator badge currently listed for sale on the FB Swap Meet.

This seems to be a trend. Does this make sense to anyone? Or can explain?
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:26 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Price of cars down, price of parts up

Yep. Nobody that's not in the hobby wants one. Those that are, want to make their cars worth as much as possible so they can't sell them to the first bunch.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfords View Post
Interesting how the price of V8's seem to be going down. Yet the price of V8 parts are in some cases out of sight??

Example: My first V8 purchase of a running, driveable, complete 1940 Deluxe Coupe is the same price listed of just a radiator badge currently listed for sale on the FB Swap Meet.

This seems to be a trend. Does this make sense to anyone? Or can explain?
Many ads have prices listed that won't tend to lead to a sale. Many guys, especially those "old timers" that advertise in print form only, tend to think the market is what it once was.
I see many ads on the Early Ford V8 Club site that are simply laughable.

Some parts on auction sites have gone very high in price as many parts that were thought to be nearly extinct are coming out of long term storage. There is a pent up demand for some things.

My advice? Don't ever be fooled by advertised prices.

Also, keep in mind that when you bought your first '40, wages were on average a fraction of what they are now. Hey, my first house was $35,ooo. That's about one half to one third of a new car now.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:26 PM   #4
TJ

Our first house was $12,000 in 1964. A rebuilt flathead by a reputable builder can reach that price in today's market. My wages in those days were $298 a month(gross) and the house payment was $68 a month. Had a '33 Chevy 5 window coupe that I bought in '62 from a friend and convinced the wife that it would be worth some money if I kept it and fixed it up. Sold the Chevy in '66 and got into old Fords. Have had a lot of old Fords over the years, but still have the same wife. It's all good!
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:46 PM   #5
cas3

now there's some useful information! not intended for you TJ ! we had a spammer in between us. happy motoring

Last edited by cas3; 06-28-2020 at 08:24 PM. Reason: to add
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:50 PM   #6
paul2748

scammer?
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:59 PM   #7
fourfords

If you extrapulate the cost of that radiator medallion to the costs of other parts on a vehicle in today's market, and if that cost is indicitive of all the other parts on a V8, that V8 Ford vehicle could have an investment of $200,000.00, today! With only an actual value in TODAY's mark of maybe $20,000.00 or so

That is the point I am making.
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:11 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
scammer?
Believe the post referred to have been removed.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:17 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

As owners/collectors age there will be more and more vehicles on the market and fewer folks wanting to purchase them. But then, there is always the Hot Rod market!

Too many cars/trucks for sell and fewer buyers will bring the prices down. Not sure the same is true of parts, the cost to produce them goes up and less demand means less potential sales means fewer items to spread the manufacturing cost over.

With NOS stuff, there are fewer and fewer items so they will bring a larger price. A smaller market is not as big an issue with smaller supply.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:26 AM   #10
deuce lover

Maybe its this ad he is talking about?

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276569
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:42 AM   #11
tubman

In the late fifties, my older brother kept dragging home roller '33-'36 coupes in the $10-$35 range. As fast as he'd bring 'em in, the old man would be faster scrapping them.

After some flirtations with earlier cars, I have settled on my "shoebox" coupe; an altogether much more practical car, and I am still amazed at how cheap some parts still are.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:57 AM   #12
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfords View Post
If you extrapulate the cost of that radiator medallion to the costs of other parts on a vehicle in today's market, and if that cost is indicitive of all the other parts on a V8, that V8 Ford vehicle could have an investment of $200,000.00, today! With only an actual value in TODAY's mark of maybe $20,000.00 or so

That is the point I am making.
I understand your point.
The same relationship between the cost of the vehicle and the parts has always been similar to what you are pointing out.
If you were to take for an example, a new F150 and attempt to build it with purchased parts, the cost would be many, many times that of buying it whole.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:38 AM   #13
Ron Pilger

My cars are worth less today than five years ago - that's a given. I'm starting to see parts I've known about (in some cases) and other warehouses full of original goodies which have been, hoarded for decades, now being offered for sale by people too old and fragile too deal with them.
Sadly, plenty other parts supplies are being peddled or given away by by families of the deceased. The same stuff i needed fifteen to twenty-five years ago now has limited market value cause the next generation could care less less about a Model T, Model A V8 Ford, etc., They may be mildly intrigued by a 70's Moped on the other hand.
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:57 AM   #14
A bones

For the record, my high school extra curricular activities were collecting and storing what I call Rope Cars. After school I'd stepped up to dysfunctional runners more, than I care to speak of. During all this fun my neighbors and family shook their heads and fists.

As my focus shifted to romances I was lead to streamline the collection. Still though I'd always hang onto an "A" Model and worn muscle cars would come and go as the social recognition of nostalgia grew. ( now my circle would say thing like "wish you had that one or this one yet?") GRR.

So,, after a heartbreaking theft one night. I had to sit, stare at the sky and conclude that all this extracurricular activity was begun as fun. It was done to be different from the crowd, that it was all fun and good, that money was not the issue.

Bottom line: I do what I can without considering value. Long as it makes me happy. My wife understands its not a business. She has her Thing. I currently have 4 different decades to play with. No regrets.