Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2020, 09:27 AM   #1
Tom's36coupe

Default search help and re assemble order

Sorry to bother everyone again on this but have misplaced the order sequence for putting my car back together after the paint project. Have rear fenders on now, is it running boards then fenders next? Car has been at the paint shop for 8 years, good things are worth waiting for! Also, what is the trick to searching the forum, just put in key words? Thanks again, Tom
Tom's36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:58 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: search help and re assemble order

This might help.
http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/285.cfm
and more:
https://www.google.com/search?q=car+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

"Kube" has been posting photos of his restoration steps for his latest 40 Ford. I think he would be the best source for info. Follow along here:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...40+restoration

Last edited by 19Fordy; 04-19-2020 at 10:13 AM.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
DavidG

No doubt we all have a somewhat different sequence for reassembly, but here's mine: Assuming you are referring to a '36 coupe and that your chassis is largely complete (powertrain, radiator, wiring, instrument panel, etc. all installed) and that your headlining, seats, and upholstery trim panels are all installed, normally the running boards would be be installed next, before the front fenders and the rest of the front end sheet metal. All of the fasteners for attaching all of the fenders and running boards should be just finger tight to permit some wiggle room for alignment adjustments.

Hopefully you installed your deck or rumble lid before you installed your rear fenders

If not, and you also install your running boards before the interior is largely complete, you will come to regret having done so as you've increased the amount of reach necessary to access the interior and deck openings.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
Tom's36coupe

Yes, 36 five window coupe. Boards are off, engine and trans are out along with radiator. Working on getting the engine and trans hooked up then do the interior after. Could not remember about the radiator but thought the front end and grille were on before that? Thanks a bunch for the help!
Tom's36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:01 PM   #5
nelsb01

David is correct. After installing the running boards (and they do make it look like you are making progress) I had to remove them for about the same reason---reach. I had to remove the tranmission to solve a leaking problem. You won't believe how close you can work on the interior now, that they are removed.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote