Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-13-2019, 01:27 AM   #1
fourfords

Default '37 headlights

I was inspired by the '37 posts earlier. I have the 1940 accessory sealed beam set up on my '37 Sedan. I like the bright sealed beams but I do not like the look at all.

What is the Best/Cheapest way to get the '37 headlight original look with bright, effective lighting?
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:17 AM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: '37 headlights

Assuming that you are running the original 6v positive ground system:

Go through all your electrical connections from battery on through and back to battery. Clean, grease and tighten all connections. Bullet connectors can be soldered, as they were only needed at assembly. For your headlights, use two relays, one for low beam, one for high beam. These are activated by your dimmer switch, and powered by a 10 ga wire directly from your solenoid, located up next to your horn relay, close to the radiator. Your dimmer then only activates the relays, which in turn powers the headlights. At the light buckets themselves, run dedicated ground wires from sockets to the frame. Check the sockets for voltage drop, you should have full battery voltage, as opposed to likely more than 1 v resistance from when you started. Use new silvered reflectors, and paint the buckets white inside. Use 50-32 bulbs (originals were 32-32). Clean the lenses in detergent, as they will have 70+years of smog deposits on the inside. That's as good as it gets, while providing the original look day and night. This system will rival any sealed beam up through the mid fifties. LED systems are looking promising these days, but not ready for prime time just yet. Stay away from halogens, far far away.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:46 AM   #3
DavidG

Default Re: '37 headlights

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Alan,

With respect, '37s don't have horn relays. Further, white paint on the inside of the buckets may result in marginally brighter light than the original silver, but it certainly doesn't provide the 'original look'.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote