Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #21
dwick01

Default Re: Vapor Lock Thick Carb/Manifold Gasket?

Dr Brown, Here is what pure-gas.com says you can get non-ethanol. It is 91 octane. Just wanted to let you know. It is at Stewarts Shops on Glen St.

pure-gas.org

Stewart's Shops #380 - STEWART'S SHOPS
360 Glen St, Glens Falls NY
518-743-9351
Ethanol-free octane ratings: 91
GPS coordinates: N 43.31201 W 73.64970 (entered by Mike Bombard)
Updated by empire, August 19, 2015 18:15 CDT
addr
Posted by Mike Bombard, August 19, 2015 12:45 CDT
added 7/30/15
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:35 AM   #22
mfirth

Mine is a double action with a glass bowl & vapor locks. Elect. pump at the tank & away we go. mike
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #23
SofaKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I never thought about it, but I have one and don't have any vapor lock problems. Perhaps the fact that I am in the resort area of north central Minnesota where almost every station carries non-alcohol gas may have something to do with it.
I asked because I have one but it is the only one I have experience with and I have not had vapor lock with either type of gas at up to 100F and 5000' altitude.

Anyone ever use an infrared thermometer or take the temp of the fuel pump when they had vapor lock?

I was taught in school that it was caused by the fuel vaporizing on hot days in the fuel lines and that vapor getting trapped at high points, sharp bends, in the line. Rather like the "P" trap under your sink but in reverse. The low pressure/volume pumps of the day didn't have sufficient capacity to pull the fuel because the vapor bubble would simply stretch at each pump stroke.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #24
scicala

Just a refresher note....., carbs spacers do not prevent vapor lock. They do help prevent fuel boiling and evaporating in the carb after the engine is shut off hot though.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:58 PM   #25
JM 35 Sedan

I agree with scicala and drolston on their posts here regarding the cause of vapor lock. I've had issues with vapor lock on my 35 fordor sedan (avatar) since I've owned this car. I have the large version of the CoolCarb spacer in place under my 97 carburetor. This spacer also extends out under the bottom of the fuel reservoir on the carburetor. I don't believe this spacer has ever prevented vapor lock, but it may help in keeping the fuel temperature in the carburetor somewhat lower as I'm driving.
I also have a '47-'48 mechanical glass bowl fuel pump that sits very low on the fuel pump stand. The bottom of the glass bowl is close to the intake deck and cast iron head, and I can sometimes see bubbling in the bowl when I'm driving on a hot day with ambient temperatures between 90-100°. During these conditions, if I am stopped at a traffic light, or pull into a gas station and shut the engine down, this will result in a vapor lock situation for sure. During these times, if I place a rag that's been soaked in ice water on top of the fuel pump, and on gas lines leading into and out of the fuel pump, for a few minutes, it will temporarily cure the vapor lock issue, only to return again when things heat up, or when the car stops moving. I have some ideas on how to reduce the likelihood of having vapor lock, or maybe totally eliminate it on my car. Just need to make this more of a priority to work on making it happen

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-20-2018 at 01:40 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #26
tubman

Before I got an Optima battery, I'd always open the hood on my '51 on a hot day when I parked it. I never had a problem starting it unless I forgot to open it. I eventually licked the problem entirely with the aforementioned Optima and making sure that there were NO leaks anywhere before the carb. I finally solved my problem by wet sanding the top of the glass bowl on my surface plate and replacing the neoprene bowl gasket with a cork one. Why it makes a difference, I don't know but it does. I would instinctively think that the neoprene one would be better, but that's not what I experienced.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote