Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
RKS.PA

Thumbs up Mac Van Pelt's "Ins and Outs of Early Ford Transmissions

I'm in the process of rebuilding my '47 transmission while the block is at the machine shop. Figured now is the time if I ever want to do this.

Only one problem. I've never rebuilt a transmission before! So, I bought Mac's book....worth every penny and then some. Mac also sent me all the parts I needed, after we talked about the process and I sent him some pictures of the main shaft and cluster gears.

So far, everything has gone just as he describes it in detail with pictures. This morning I've been struggling with the gearshift housing assembly and specifically the spring, plunger and ball for the second of the shifting fork shafts in the housing.

After dropping the steel detent ball about 100 times on the shop floor, I went back and read Mac's instructions to use a putty knife to "compress" that nasty ball and spring.....Viola....success. Am loving this project and the book!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
mhsprecher

Default Re: Mac Van Pelt's "Ins and Outs of Early Ford Transmissions

Congrats. Those darned instructions. It does help to read them sometimes! I need to remember that! LOL!
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:34 PM   #3
cmbrucew

If all else fails, read the instructions.
Building transmissions are much easier after two or three. You know by looking at the part, say the pilot shaft, are the bearing surfaces good or worn out. Flywheel bearing, case bearing, id surface for roller bearing main shaft, Spline, synchronizer teeth, main drive gear.
It is good you have mac offering his experience and advise.
Also the book helps the novice and journeyman.
I learned to grind a spot off the synchronizer teeth so the pilot shaft is removable without dropping the cluster gear. That way you can align the clutch disk.
Not everyone works the same, so like I said, easier after the second and third job.
Bruce
Old 01-09-2017, 06:34 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Years ago, maybe 10 or more, MacVP coached me over the phone on my first '39 trans rebuild. I had a mismatched tooth count main and cluster gear combo that I was unknowingly trying to assemble, and after describing the situation to Mac, he nailed exactly what I had wrong. He told me to count the teeth on the cluster (smallest diameter) and sure enough it had one tooth too many. Found the correct cluster and everything went right together. This was prior to his book release, but I had my name on his list for a copy as soon as it was available. It is THE best book on the market for anything you ever wanted to know about the early Ford 3 speed transmissions.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:40 PM   #5
Overkill-F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
It is THE best book on the market for anything you ever wanted to know about the early Ford 3 speed transmissions.
After reading the description of the book I wasn't sure if the book was much help with a later transmission ('52 LD 3 speed). I'm sure it would have helped, but decided to just wing-it. I got it together without to many hiccups.
I ordered my parts from Van Pelt and got great service. Mac, Shelly & Rick are good people.
...Terry
Overkill-F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #6
zzlegend

Rebuilt 3 top loaders now using Mac's parts and more importantly, that book. A big help.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:04 PM   #7
old28

Just finished my first stick trans build, a 46 Ford late model gear set in a 32B case with a 39 shift tower. Not saying that I could not have done the build without the book, but Mac Van Pelt's book made the job easy, great pictures to reference & easy to follow step by step instructions.
old28 is offline   Reply With Quote