Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
RTWCO

Default 1932 Ford Generator Cut Out

I am getting my 1932 Ford ready for this show season and am in need of the correct cut out relay. I would appreciate any help. I have looked at page 6-4 in the 1932 Ford Book, by David Rehor, which describes the cut out I need. I have looked at swap meets and checked with all of the major suppliers, Drake, Macs, etc. The correct rendition of this part seems to have slipped by all of the manufactures, so no one has the absolute correct part. The differences are slight, like mine has a B and a A stamped on top in addition to the FORD script. Macs makes one without the A and B but it has the wrong connections. Drakes is wrong in many areas. Any help from someone would sure be appreciated.
RTWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
richard crow

Default Re: 1932 Ford Generator Cut Out

if you have the orignal you can install a dieod in it. it will work as good as the orignal & no one can tell unless they take the cover off
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

I think only an original will do...innards are pretty sturdy, better built than the repros, and frequently need only cleaning up of the contacts. You need one with the right marking, and if that one is dead insides from any of the early ones will interchange. Repro ones are functional replacements only, not really restoration parts.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
oldandtired

I believe I have some out in the parts bin that may be what you are seeking. I am pretty sure I have some with a "B" stamped on them...don't know about the script or other letters until I go look.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
Jerry Parr WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
if you have the orignal you can install a dieod in it. it will work as good as the orignal & no one can tell unless they take the cover off
The problem with the "modern" diode cutout conversion is it converts over 10% of the stock generator's output to heat in the cutout at full load. Requires a heat sink to dissipate the heat and robs the system of the power. Original cutouts are very reliable and efficient.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
Charlie ny
BANNED

RT,
I have the cutout you need.....A & B with the Ford Script.
Mine are converted to diode. I only use nice originals to restore.
The diode seems to work very well. I've run these c/o's in all my
3 brush generator cars.
Charlie ny
[email protected]
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
bobH

I hope this is a related question... I have one that I would like to get into... To clean & check out, like Bruce suggested. I can't figure out how to get into it, and I don't want to damage it, trying. It's a Ford-script cutout. Any suggestions? Thanks.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

The De Angelis "as Henry built it" books have a chart of the letters and marks on the can correlated to years of use.
Can is held by a couple of light spotwelds visible from the bottom...need little more than a few file strokes to get the can off of the platform
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
DavidG

RTWCO

Strive for one without any letters on the top (beyond the Ford script) as these are '35 and up cut outs. The other distinguishing characteristic is that the feet on a 'letter-less' cut out are slotted for the screws that attach the cut out to the generator. Those cutouts with the letter 'A' or 'B' (or both) have no slots in their mounting feet.

You might try the Model A side of this site as the '32 cut out is a carryover Model A part.

Dave

Last edited by DavidG; 03-14-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: mispelled word
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #10
31chevy

Mac's has a diode kit with heat sync for $2.90 I installed one in my 34 and works fine, cutout still looks original.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:25 AM   #11
chuck stevens

does anybody make a cut-out that has a regulator of some sort so i don't boil my battery on long trips? My car is a early 39, with just a cut out, and adjustable 3rd brush. Thanks Chuck.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #12
Kurt in NJ

The oval cutout has a regulator, but they are $$, look on the A site for Tom Wesenberg (his screen name also), he makes a regulator that fits inside the original generator that works good.

The A has much the same generator (function wise, not looks), I run direct fit halogen headlight bulbs, have my charge rate set at 14to15 amps, just enough to show a 1-2 amps to + with the lights on, when I go for a long drive I will turn on the lights after an hour of driving to limit the battery charge --that is how I regulate my charge, it works for me, I have 14 years on my Optima battery, have never used a maintainer to charge it, the 1 time it was dead was my fault, I left the ign on.
I also have a diode cutout, I made it fron an original cutout, and a used diode from a 60s mopar alternator, I drilled the relay bracket for the heatsink, and for a place to press in the diode, it has been working untouched for 40 years ---so has the generator, the 6V system has been very reliable for me,
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #13
Barlea

Here's where you get the voltage regulator that looks like a cutout. ..B. http://www.funprojects.com/search.cf...&querytype=all
Barlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
RTWCO

Thank you very much. Bob
RTWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #15
jerseyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
I hope this is a related question... I have one that I would like to get into... To clean & check out, like Bruce suggested. I can't figure out how to get into it, and I don't want to damage it, trying. It's a Ford-script cutout. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Bob,

I have a copy of Tom Wesenberg's thread from the old Barn, on how to open and repair the cutout. I will email you a copy if you want it. Just pm me.

Keep v-8ing and 4-banging!
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #16
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWCO View Post
I am getting my 1932 Ford ready for this show season and am in need of the correct cut out relay. I would appreciate any help. I have looked at page 6-4 in the 1932 Ford Book, by David Rehor, which describes the cut out I need. I have looked at swap meets and checked with all of the major suppliers, Drake, Macs, etc. The correct rendition of this part seems to have slipped by all of the manufactures, so no one has the absolute correct part. The differences are slight, like mine has a B and a A stamped on top in addition to the FORD script. Macs makes one without the A and B but it has the wrong connections. Drakes is wrong in many areas. Any help from someone would sure be appreciated.
If none of the posters above can help,try Jim Kroll on here @ 1-440-259-5466. Has mostly 32 parts. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote