Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2017, 12:23 AM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Generator no-charge update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I'm sure I know the problem. The cutout isn't closing before 7.2 volts is reached. A lot of cutouts won't close before 8 or more volts is reached because without a voltage regulator the generator will produce up to 40 volts, so the makers don't care so much about voltage. I always make sure they are adjusted to close at 6.0 to 6.2 volts.

If you send the cutout to me I can adjust it for the correct voltage.
I got the cutout in the mail today, and as I suspected, the cut in voltage was too high for a regulated generator. I adjust it to 6.2 volts, which changed to 6.5 volts when the cover was reinstalled, so this will work fine now.

I also received a nice original ammeter and a repro ammeter for repairs. I haven't seen this before, but both covers are so tight that I couldn't tap them off. Tomorrow I'll have to make another special tool to remove the covers without damaging them.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:45 AM   #22
redmodelt

Re;
Since Jeff's generator is now regulated,
Sorry but how did it become a regulated generator, I guess I missed something because I read it as being a stock generator. Was this something in his first post?
Old 05-23-2017, 01:22 AM   #23
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Re;
Since Jeff's generator is now regulated,
Sorry but how did it become a regulated generator, I guess I missed something because I read it as being a stock generator. Was this something in his first post?
It's in post #10. He bought the regulator from Tom and installed it.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #24
Jeff/Illinois

Actually I can't take the credit for installing Tom's EVR, I had sent the generator up to Minnesota and he rebuilt it and installed the EVR at the same time.

I have another rebuilt generator, done by one of the big Model A parts houses, as original with the third brush, lying on the shelf.

Tom did the generator on our '36 Pickup about five years ago with his EVR, and the difference is incredible. Real similar to the long Autolite Model A generator look a lot alike. Charges about 2 amps while driving, and the Farm King 6V battery I run in that truck is still in PERFECT condition. I was leary of a 6V battery over five years old, took that battery to a shop uptown, they did a load test on it, and it is fine. Usually 4 years was tops for me on them.

I tag this stuff as I go, so that the next guy who gets it at my estate sale after I miss third gear and go 'neutral' in the shift pattern of life will have some idea of what he/she is buying!

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 05-24-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #25
redmodelt

"Jeff has my EVR to regulate the output to about 7.2 volts, so he's safe as far as burning up the generator."

Ok so I would guess that "EVR" is electronic voltage regulator? How does the generator itself differ from stock using this unit? Is it converted to wiring like the later type generators using the voltage regulator?
I may not be the only one a little lost on this one.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:38 PM   #26
Tom Wesenberg

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
"Jeff has my EVR to regulate the output to about 7.2 volts, so he's safe as far as burning up the generator."

Ok so I would guess that "EVR" is electronic voltage regulator? How does the generator itself differ from stock using this unit? Is it converted to wiring like the later type generators using the voltage regulator?
I may not be the only one a little lost on this one.
When I install the EVR I remove the adjustable brush and it's holding ring. The wire that used to go to the adjustable brush now goes to the EVR. The EVR controls the output to the field windings by sensing the battery voltage. As the voltage drops slightly, like after starting the engine, the EVR feeds more voltage to the field windings.

After a few minutes of running, the battery will be recharged and the higher voltage will make the EVR drop the voltage feeding the field windings. The mechanical voltage regulators of the late 30's through the 70's operate on the same principle, but they have vibrating contacts to control the voltage.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #27
30Ford

I had my Generator sent out for a rebuild ...flashed it before i installed it and it motored ...installed on the car and I could never get it to charge ....after screwing with it for a while I found it's fields were wired backwards ...
30Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:11 PM   #28
redmodelt

Thank you Tom.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:01 PM   #29
Jeff/Illinois

An update on the update:

Installed the Original Cutout that Tom adjusted the voltage on to accommodate his EVR and the original Ammeter I bought that he fine tuned, problem solved.

We're off to the races again She's a-chargin' and working like a champ.

Original parts sure make a difference. Someday somebody will build a good ammeter There has been a LOT of progress on good quality Model A Ford reproduction parts in the last few years compared to the 70's.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote