Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2018, 06:10 AM   #1
P.S.

Default Trouble shifting into 2nd or 3rd- BUT.. Unique situation

I have a somewhat unique situation, seeking advice before I dig in.

I have a 29 Model A standard fordor that has never been apart. A "preservation car" if there ever was one. It was featured as the July car in the 2017 Hemmings Model A calendar. Still has factory paint, interior, drivetrain, etc. Car has about 69K miles on it and drives and rides like a dream. However, since it is an absolute time capsule, I don't exactly go touring in it, but to keep things operating, it goes out every 2 to 4 weeks or so for a little exercise (weather permitting). It has the quietest, smoothest Model A drivetrain you ever heard.

About one out of 50 times: When shifting from 1st to 2nd, you get sorta locked out. The shifter simply will not move into either higher gear. It feels like there is a solid block keeping the shifter handle from moving fore or aft, but it still moves very easily side to side. The only way to get it to go into 2nd or 3rd is to slow down and shift back in to first, THEN it will easily go into any gear after that. Then, everything works perfectly again for another many shifts. Other than that, the gears feel excellent and there is almost zero slop in the shifter.

I was thinking of pulling the shift tower this winter and doing a closer inspection. Kinda suspecting a sloppy shift fork. Since I have to turn some bolts that were last turned at the factory to do this, I'm obviously going to be disturbing some "historic fabric", so I want to be minimally invasive. If you have ever had this same thing happen to your Model A, what was the culprit? And, what was the solution?

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise!
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote