Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #1
Bluebell

Default How well will a Pertronix module go on an old distributor cam (42-44 crab)

I am looking to buy a pertronix II. (91285 LS) It appears they do not use an adapter on the cam and I wondered how well (accurate timing each cylinder) the unit will go if the cam is a bit rough?
Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #2
Drbrown

Default Re: How well will a Pertronix module go on an old distributor cam (42-44 crab)

By using the word "rough" do you mean a cam with worm lobes and/or a cam gear with excessively worn gear teeth ?
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:09 PM   #3
Bluebell

Default Re: How well will a Pertronix module go on an old distributor cam (42-44 crab)

Hi Dr Brown, the distributor has sat for many years. there is rust on the cam which I have sanded. I think it will be o.k.
What actually triggers the module? Is it magnetism (proximity?) or is it light or what else?
Old 07-28-2016, 06:45 PM   #4
wga

Call Pertronix or go to their website to find out how it works.
Send it in to Bubba and he will adapt it for your Pertronix, and generally get it
working just fine.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:30 PM   #5
Tony, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
Hi Dr Brown, the distributor has sat for many years. there is rust on the cam which I have sanded. I think it will be o.k.
What actually triggers the module? Is it magnetism (proximity?) or is it light or what else?
The unit has a lobe sensor that triggers it.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:08 PM   #6
Drbrown

My '47 came to me with a Pertronix unit, which keeps working very well, and I had Bubbas make up a duplicate with coil to keep in the trunk as a spare.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:51 PM   #7
Bluebell

hi Tony, by lobe sensor, you mean it's part of the the module and works out when a cam lobe is closest. It appears that the cam has nothing fitted over it. Is that correct?
Old 07-29-2016, 07:27 AM   #8
Tony, NY

Quote:
hi Tony, by lobe sensor, you mean it's part of the the module and works out when a cam lobe is closest. It appears that the cam has nothing fitted over it. Is that correct?
Nothing on the cam. Sensor is on replacement point plate and is near the cam.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #9
BUBBAS IGNITION

The LS Lobe Sense will work very well on a cam thats slightly pitted etc. The module triggers on the high point of the cam when it swings close . We have installed quite a few of the LS units in a crab and have very little problems with them. When we sell one we included the correct ignition coil ( 1.5 ohm) as thats the module killer when a customer buys the incorrect resistance coil...
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:02 PM   #10
Graeme / New Zealand

Is this with a 6 or 12v set up?

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #11
Bluebell

Thank you Jim. That's what I wanted to know. Also thanks on the coil.Cheers.
Graeme, The Pertronix II is only available as 12 volt negative earth. (that's what I'm doing)
The Pertronix I can be bought in 6v+ earth, and 12v+ earth., I believe.
As Tony says, It comes on a plate that replaces the points plate. New small bush (I hope) and is adjusted in the same fashion as a std dizzy. The two wires have a grommet that goes through the primary terminal hole. It looks nicely worked out. I have to give one a shot, now that Jim has got me past a small hurdle.
Pertronix's web site says a coil with primary resistance of at least .6 ohms but I will run with Jim's advice and hopefully buy one here that is 1.5 ohms.
Once again, Thank you guys!
Old 07-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #12
xix32

I put one on my 59a with a crab distributor. I had set Top Dead center on piston # 1 before I put the heads on. Then marked the crank pulley so I could check to be sure of the timing.
It's amazing how perfectly positioned, relative to the cam, that Pertronix module is on their plate that replaces the Ford points plate. My engine was perfectly timed. It seems to start and be running before I even get the key switched all the way on. With their correct 1.5 ohm 12 Volt coil that is a wonderful product.

Last edited by xix32; 07-29-2016 at 04:25 PM.
xix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:46 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Pertronix's web site says a coil with primary resistance of at least .6 ohms but I will run with Jim's advice and hopefully buy one here that is 1.5 ohms.
I think Jim has addressed that issue in the past and that the information on Pertronix site is WRONG, LOL
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:46 PM   #14
Bluebell

Thanks JSeery. for another bit of important info.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:04 PM   #15
BillM

Quote:
Graeme, The Pertronix II is only available as 12 volt negative earth. (that's what I'm doing)
The Pertronix I can be bought in 6v+ earth, and 12v+ earth., I believe.
The Pertronix catalog (section on ignition conversions) states that the LS 91285 is available in 12v pos gnd as well as 6v pos and neg gnd. See the footnotes at the bottom of page 17.
The description of the Ignitor II sounds a lot like the GM HEI so I am of the opinion that the .6 ohm coil spec is not a mistake. Using a 1.5 ohm coil will probably work but I would think you would not get the advantages of the Ignitor II features over the Ignitor I.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #16
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
The Pertronix catalog (section on ignition conversions) states that the LS 91285 is available in 12v pos gnd as well as 6v pos and neg gnd. See the footnotes at the bottom of page 17.
The description of the Ignitor II sounds a lot like the GM HEI so I am of the opinion that the .6 ohm coil spec is not a mistake. Using a 1.5 ohm coil will probably work but I would think you would not get the advantages of the Ignitor II features over the Ignitor I.
Thanks for that Bill

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #17
Bluebell

Bill,as I read it, on page 4 of the 2015 catalog,(is there a later one?) the 5th note down states that the Ignitor II is only available in 12 volt negative earth. This is part number 91285LS
The Ignitor I (just called Ignitor)is available in 4 options, 6,12, +,-, Its part number is 1285LS and requires the appropriate suffix added when ordering.

Last edited by Bluebell; 07-30-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:10 PM   #18
BillM

The on line catalog I see is here: http://www.pertronix.com/catalogs/pd...ition_conv.pdf
See page 8 for the 42-48 Dist. and the footnotes at the bottom of page 9.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #19
Bluebell

Bill, read the application notes on page 4. (same catalogue)
The following is "copy and pasted" directly from that page, without alteration.
" Ignitor II and Ignitor III kits are only available in 12-volt negative ground."

I guess the answer would be to contact them directly if you happened to want an Ignitor II in any alternative to 12 volt negative earth.

I have read some of your stuff on your web site. You do good work. I have read about your oil filter set up and your dizzy conversion. This leads me to ask how you arrived at your coil resistance comments.

Last edited by Bluebell; 07-30-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #20
BillM

I see "Application Questions" under Product Support in the on line catalog but its not four pages; are you looking on line or at a printed catalog?