Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2020, 12:25 AM   #1
mercman from oz

Default 1959 Ford Galaxie - Paint Formula wanted

My friend has just purchased this recently imported 1959 Ford Galaxie Hardtop and is into the restoration, however, he needs the Paint Formula for Indian Turquoise, which is the original colour of this Ford. Because we live in Australia, he is having trouble getting the required information. This is what he wrote :-
I am having trouble obtaining a mixing formula for Indian Turquoise which is the colour of my Galaxie. I can come up with the colour codes which are from America but not the mixing formula. I was hoping that perhaps you may have a friend in the States who would be prepared to contact a paint shop in their town that may be able to help in obtaining this formula.
The Ford code is M1019 Ditzler PPG42256 Dupont 2983.
These codes are readily available on the internet but I cannot find mixing formulas. It would be necessary for your contact not only to obtain tinter numbers but also the tinter colour. All tinters have a colour and if I was able to present these colours to a paint shop over here they would be able to mix the product. The quantity of the mixing formula would be for 4 litres.
I like to keep the colour of the cars I restore as per the original colours.

Can anyone help my friend out. Thank you for your help.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:53 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: 1959 Ford Galaxie - Paint Formula wanted

I make no claim to know the whole story, just what I was told at a local auto paint shop when recently looking for a '58 Ford color.
~ Having the original mixing formula will not help you because some of the original ingredients are no longer available ~ (due to current day paint processes and environmental regulations)

If there are areas on the car with relatively undamaged paint that can be cleaned/polished/returned to good condition... a well equipped paint shop can create a very good to excellent color match using modern ingredients, and an in-house painter with a very good eye for color.

I'll suggest having your friend provide an example car part to his favorite paint supplier to have them create a color sample or two for his approval.

IF there is a chance a modern day vehicle has the same apparent color, that formula with currently available ingredients could be used.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-04-2020 at 11:41 AM. Reason: ocd
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:39 AM   #3
Ford blue blood

My paint guy was able to get a near perfect match for my 58 Edsel from BASF. It is a single stage urethane color coat. He had to call their tech desk for the mix. Forgot to say the fire wall is the factory paint, the cowl vent cover is the BASF mix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edsel sill 001 (2).jpg (44.6 KB, 10 views)

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II

Last edited by Ford blue blood; 03-04-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:10 PM   #4
mercman from oz

By sheer coincidence, here is another 1959 Ford Galaxie Hardtop that has been imported to Australia also painted Indian Turquoise. Was this a popular colour?
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #5
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post
By sheer coincidence, here is another 1959 Ford Galaxie Hardtop that has been imported to Australia also painted Indian Turquoise. ...
Ask the owner if the car has been repainted and find out what paint / formula was used.

I saw an online article about a newly restored car in the color I was looking for. Contacted the shop mentioned in the article and they sent me the paint name and mixing formula they used.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 03:45 PM   #6
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post
Was this a popular colour?
If you mean; was this a "common" color? The answer is, there were slight variations of that color from at least '55 thru '59 used by not only Ford and Mercury, but also general motors. In that respect, there were zillions of cars of several makes during the mid to late fifties running around with a coat very similar to it.
My question is, when a dealership ordered new models, did the factory send them a few of every color of the rainbow? What if the dealer knew that he would have a hard time selling black cars in his region? Could he limit the number of a certain color?
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote