Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #1
nellis003

Default 3-D printed hard-to-find parts

Hi all,

I recently took a tour of a company here in Chicago that has a 3-D printing division. They're able to do a lot with 3-D printing these days, especially with more rigid, steel-like materials. Nothing that could support suspension or drivetrain, but door handles, latches, etc.

I had a conversation with the head of the company after the tour, and mentioned the classic car connection. He said he'd be willing to absorb the cost of scanning a hard-to-find part, something that isn't reproduced, and putting it in their archive so it could be created on a one-off basis.

So, here's my question: Do you all have a part in mind that's extremely hard to find and not reproduced? It wouldn't even necessarily have to be a Ford - just something that's kind of the "holy grail" for car guys. And if so, is there anyone out there who would be willing to let this company scan it and return it?

Let me know what you think. This seems to me to be a good resource for that one elusive car part a lot of people need but no one can seem to find. And from what I've seen, the parts can be fairly complex.

I've posted this in the Early V8 forum as well.

Thanks,
Nick
nellis003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: 3-D printed hard-to-find parts

That might be good for a rare car, but doubtful on Fords because of general availability?
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
That might be good for a rare car, but doubtful on Fords because of general availability?
Original parts are not generally available. Repros are usually very inferior in quality and fit, and often different in appearance. If original parts can be found in good condition, they could be scanned to provide accurate dimensional data for parts manufacturers, if not directly printed.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #4
Gary Karr

Here a couple of ideas.
VE-28 On-Off-Dim steel light switch
400A ash trays
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
SeaSlugs

Long Model AA mirror arms are a pain to find. How durable is durable? Lotta wind resistance and flexing on that part tho...

I cant think of much that isnt already reproduced or could even be made out of something 3d printed...
Old 06-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #6
Simonpie

I've machined a bit on stainless parts made by Shapeways. They are quite hard. I haven't broken one, so I can't speak to strength. It would be easy to print a tensile test specimen.

This isn't model A, but I know there are a number of rocker and tower components that are hard to find for after market Model T OHV heads. These would be easy to print, but would need a little finish machining.

The picture is a printed steel radiator cap ornament on my A speedster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back corner car cropped.jpg (41.9 KB, 51 views)
Simonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #7
duke36

How about 'C' shaped metal plates with detents/ grooves to replicate the worn flat areas at the steering column spark and throttle rods. They could be glued over the existing plates after filing down the areas smooth . Most A owners could use these after being produced in quantities at hopefully reasonable cost. There should be enough slack in the lower springs to place these with a little added material thickness.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #8
Great Lakes Greg

Duke36's idea is excellent.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:08 PM   #9
denniskliesen

Wiper motors all years and all models. That should keep him busy.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #10
denis4x4

Jay Leno did a very interesting you tube video on this subject. He has one in his shop. Worth watching.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #11
cpf240

Trim pieces for the 49A top...
cpf240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #12
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke36 View Post
How about 'C' shaped metal plates with detents/ grooves to replicate the worn flat areas at the steering column spark and throttle rods. They could be glued over the existing plates after filing down the areas smooth . Most A owners could use these after being produced in quantities at hopefully reasonable cost. There should be enough slack in the lower springs to place these with a little added material thickness.
well part of the problem is the worn detents but the spark rods also wear down on the backside - they were kinda teardrop shaped when new on the underside if i remember right.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #13
WTSHNN

Town Car windshield crank knob.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #14
Synchro909

A car restoration business here in Australia was recently given the task of restoring the sole Delage Grand Prix car in the world. Delage only competed in the GP one year, won and never bothered again. This car is the sole survivor of the championship cars and so is priceless but the engine block was cracked beyond saving. A new one had to be made. The restoration shop used 3D printing to create the core for waterways etc for casting a new block. The first one was cut up the verify all was well, then the final one was cast, machined and the car restored. It was an expensive undertaking but small by comparison to the value of the car.
New technology has great potential even for we old farts.
I’d post a link to the story if I could on this pad but I don’t know how.

Last edited by Synchro909; 06-15-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #15
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonpie View Post
I've machined a bit on stainless parts made by Shapeways. They are quite hard. I haven't broken one, so I can't speak to strength. It would be easy to print a tensile test specimen.

This isn't model A, but I know there are a number of rocker and tower components that are hard to find for after market Model T OHV heads. These would be easy to print, but would need a little finish machining.

The picture is a printed steel radiator cap ornament on my A speedster.
very cool. so you think a tapered mirror arm 11" long with a 5" mirror out in the wind it would hold up? its a relatively simple shape arm bracket. I had one done in a sandcast mold out of aluminum and turned out ok.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:00 PM   #16
KenCoupe

If I'm not mistaken, the shift forks in the transmission are not reproduced. You can still find some good ones - I got some from Bert's. But that might be a possibility for the 3D printing?
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #17
Simonpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
very cool. so you think a tapered mirror arm 11" long with a 5" mirror out in the wind it would hold up? its a relatively simple shape arm bracket. I had one done in a sandcast mold out of aluminum and turned out ok.

If an aluminum one works, then the steel one will for sure. The surface has a bit of the "wood grain" look from the layering, so the final polish and plate will be quite a job.
Simonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #18
Jw

GREAT IDEA! can you use the OEM Drawings? We have a 3D printer to produce prototype plastic parts.
Jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #19
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonpie View Post
If an aluminum one works, then the steel one will for sure. The surface has a bit of the "wood grain" look from the layering, so the final polish and plate will be quite a job.
yea the AA arm was cast iron painted black so could easily sand the 3D part down and if you have to use a filler primer and paint black.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #20
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post

These have been reproduced. Pretty sure I have an extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jw View Post
GREAT IDEA! can you use the OEM Drawings? We have a 3D printer to produce prototype plastic parts.

This is not as easy as it might sound. Please allow me to interject some personal experience. The 3D printer is not that high-tech any longer, and even my shop will likely have a 12"x12"x12" by yearend. The only thing that a printer can do is assist with prototyping, and producing casting patterns. Printers are fairly cheap now however what most people do not realize is those printers must have a CAD Modeling program to have the part drawn in, and a separate program to write G-code which tells the printer the shape it needs to make. The expense of SolidWorks software which is a good modeling program runs about the same cost as a entry-level Tudor sedan. Then you must take the time to learn to use the program. That typically makes this endeavor cost prohibitive for the hobbyist.

Next, using the original drawings is a great starting point however the original prints do not take into consideration of the shrinkage factor (usually 6% on alloy and about half that with iron) which means everything must be drawn exponentially larger. This also does not factor in for material that will be machined. Therefore it may take 6-8 hours to draw a carburetor, then about that time again to re-draw it for patterns. At $100 an hour for average seat time while the item is being drawn, you can see how expensive this is getting already and the item has not even been to the foundry yet.

Ken mentioned the A-7230 Fork about being reproduced. The issue with the reproduction unit was the cost to restore an original back to factory specifications is less than the cost to manufacture a new one. The same thing applies to many others parts such as gas tanks, etc.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote