Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2022, 06:22 AM   #1
ETAModel

Default Storing restored model A without a garage or carport

what is the best way to temporarily (a few months) store a restored model A without a carport or garage? I thought about asking friend's who own large buildings/shops, but I could only have access when it fits their schedule.

How sturdy are the custom made covers sold in the magazines?

Thanks
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:12 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Storing restored model A without a garage or carport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETAModel View Post
what is the best way to temporarily (a few months) store a restored model A without a carport or garage? I thought about asking friend's who own large buildings/shops, but I could only have access when it fits their schedule.

Thanks
So what are you trying to accomplish? I can think of many ways such as a heavy-duty tarp, or an enclosed trailer, or .... Where do you keep it normally??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:24 AM   #3
Mike Peters

Tarps flap in the wind outside and can damage the paint on your car. Enclosed trailers are a great storage option, and you don't pay property taxes on trailers like you do on a garage.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:52 AM   #4
ronn

go rent a storage unit and dont be cheap............

lol
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:53 AM   #5
77Birdman

Can you rent a mini warehouse building? Depending on the level of restoration and the weather conditions during the outside storage options may vary. If its going to be relatively dry and somewhat warm, not exposed to any more than typical windy days a good cover should be fine. I would not even think about parking one of my restored cars outside during our mid atlantic winter.

Depending on finances it may be worthwhile to buy a trailer (if you can find one) then re-sell when your finished with it.

Another thought, my insurance stipulates that I must keep my car indoors. You may want to check with your policy just in case something should happen.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:42 AM   #6
nkaminar

A friend bought several shipping containers, the kind that are used on ships. He kept his collection of antique motorcycles in them. If you go that route, consider a dehumidifier or air conditioning depending on the climate. I think you can rent the containers. They are very secure with a good pad lock.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:01 AM   #7
rotorwrench

Shipping containers that set out in the sun in humid climates can get very hot inside during the day and then the air condenses inside at night when they cool down. I've seen water dripping from the ceilings here in south central TX. It just depends on where a person lives.

I rent a 10 X 30 storage unit for less than $200 a month. It's good for temporary. If funds are not a problem then an enclosed trailer could be OK for a time but then a person has to store that as well. A car cover with flannel lining and water resistant outer cover is likely the least expensive option with possibly another water proof cover over that if needed. Tie it or bungee it so the wind won't flap it it the breeze and it would get a person by for a few months.

Back in the mid 80s, Schweizer Aircraft covered a new 300C helicopter that was going to be trailered from Elmira, NY down here to TX for delivery to the local PD. They used a very good cover but they elected to use bubble plastic over the cabin between the exterior surfaces and the outer cover. I guess they felt it would pad the cover better. When the helicopter arrived and the covering materials were removed, The bubble plastic had worn little circles in the plexiglass all around the cabin. The paint was fine but the cabin is mostly plexiglass transparencies on the outer surfaces so I got really good at polishing out plexiglass. It took the better part of a week with a Micromesh polishing kit and a quart of fine compound to get it usable again. The guy that towed the vehicle was driving average highway speeds for 1985 but even at 55 MPH, that's a pretty strong wind. 10 or 20 MPH wind likely wouldn't have done near as much damage.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-10-2022 at 09:16 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:22 AM   #8
Colonial coupe

When we moved from New Mexico to Virginia we stored our 30 Coupe in one of the storage facilities like Stormore, nice clean and secure. Also not very expensive.
Colonial coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:11 PM   #9
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonial coupe View Post
When we moved from New Mexico to Virginia we stored our 30 Coupe in one of the storage facilities like Stormore, nice clean and secure. Also not very expensive.
Agree. Store in safe, clean place. No matter the level of restoration, it would be expensive to correct any damage done to your car.

I would forget anything that has to do with storing car outside.

Good luck.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:43 PM   #10
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETAModel View Post

Thanks
I would think the friends shop with limited access is the best and most reasonable option you have.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:53 PM   #11
31Cabriolet68-C

I agree 100% that your car should be inside If at all possible.
However........ You really might want to consider this:
For abt $165 I got a Harbor Freight "Garage in a Box" using a coupon... Size 10'x17' and its gotten us through at least three fairly significant winters here in Connecticut. My Mason set four substantial eye bolts into a preexisting apron of Belgian block at the end of our driveway and we used ratchets and tie-down straps instead of the auger types included. (Temp storage shed permits from the town were abt $8-$10/year, no inspection needed since it's under 200sq ft). As another upgrade, I slid some long 1" PVC pipes into the lower hems of both the cover and the end panels, and then ziptied them to the eyebolts and that way it kept out even wind blown snow.
Cheap, effective, temporary, and easy to install. (But I'm sorry to say, my wife hates the color... I don't...)
Yes, It's quite true that there can be condensation and it may well drip, but it would only happen when there was a significant (6 inches or more) snow load on the cover....
TallyHo...... John
31Cabriolet68-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:46 PM   #12
MAG

I"m sure you are already aware of, during storage, protection from varmints should be done.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:01 PM   #13
Gene F

May I ask what is your long-term plan? Sorting to me means just wrapping up, and fixing a few odds and ends, not major surgery. Since you live in Texas, I'd think the Sun is more of a long-term issue for the car.

Your long-term plans may weigh into you immediate need strategy.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:10 PM   #14
gary678*

A garage or rental space is the best; those portable tents are OK if you get a good one; not a Harbor Freght special. If you do go the tent route put it on a concrete slab with anchors installed in the slab for the tie-downs. The concrete slab will greatly reduce ground moisture from harming the car. Also provide some type of ventilation on all four sides. Good luck!
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:37 PM   #15
Eccentric Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Cabriolet68-C View Post
I agree 100% that your car should be inside If at all possible.
However........ You really might want to consider this:
For abt $165 I got a Harbor Freight "Garage in a Box" using a coupon... Size 10'x17' and its gotten us through at least three fairly significant winters here in Connecticut. My Mason set four substantial eye bolts into a preexisting apron of Belgian block at the end of our driveway and we used ratchets and tie-down straps instead of the auger types included. (Temp storage shed permits from the town were abt $8-$10/year, no inspection needed since it's under 200sq ft). As another upgrade, I slid some long 1" PVC pipes into the lower hems of both the cover and the end panels, and then ziptied them to the eyebolts and that way it kept out even wind blown snow.
Cheap, effective, temporary, and easy to install. (But I'm sorry to say, my wife hates the color... I don't...)
Yes, It's quite true that there can be condensation and it may well drip, but it would only happen when there was a significant (6 inches or more) snow load on the cover....
TallyHo...... John
John's suggestion of a "garage in a box" sounds ideal, if the area is secure.

Here's a link:

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-...age-62860.html

eog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62860_W3.jpg (18.9 KB, 14 views)
Eccentric Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:47 PM   #16
KenD

I have used the peaked roof portable garages in the past but they don't do well with snow loads. I have a semi-restored AA behind my garage under a 10x20 round-top tent. It is a ShelterLogic product www.shelterlogic.com and I recommend it for a temporary to 5 year use. Agree you do need to think about drifting snow and summer condensation but with care it should work for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shelterlogic_tent.jpg (31.4 KB, 3 views)
KenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:53 PM   #17
bruceincam

My truck's permanent house is an 8 x 20 Shelter Logic garage. Cover the top with an additional tarp to keep the sun from ruining the garage. The sun will destroy the extra tarp in about a year. Just replace the tarp.
bruceincam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:07 AM   #18
J Franklin

Have you ever droped a small part in the grass or gravel? Rent or build a garage.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:44 AM   #19
Rodrelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary678* View Post
A garage or rental space is the best; those portable tents are OK if you get a good one; not a Harbor Freght special. If you do go the tent route put it on a concrete slab with anchors installed in the slab for the tie-downs. The concrete slab will greatly reduce ground moisture from harming the car. Also provide some type of ventilation on all four sides. Good luck!
Yes, a buddy put a gravel bottom carport on the side of his barn in west NY for his motor home and it was always damp under it, rotted the floor out. East Texas as I recall not very dry. Need a floor under it, wood deck.
Rodrelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:48 PM   #20
ETAModel

Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions. Here's my situation.

I don't own a model A, but may be getting one soon. If it happens it will be from an estate and need to be moved in a hurry. It is currently stored under a carport, the dust and a little wind the only problem, but I don't have a carport or garage. BTW, I live in North Central Texas, north of Ft. Worth. Snow rarely happens, rain and wind is the most prevalent problem.

I talked to a local contractor re a carport, he said he's backed up about 4 months on projects. So if I got the call next week to come get the A, it would be stored outside until around May.

I am trying to be proactive, and get ahead of possible problems.
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote