Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2020, 03:21 PM   #21
flatheadmurre

Default Re: Is this Interesting?

Turbo and flathead is not like oil and water...there are a couple of street engines around here one with the turbo hidden under the floor for a "oldschool" appearance.
You can cheat a bit with turbos by injecting fuel into the exhaust creating instant boost to avoid spool up time.
If mixture is an issue go E85 that gives you a wider span.
Gas is very picky about mixture compared to ethanol/methanol.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:39 PM   #22
tubman

Thanks Murre, for the information.

Let the "bench racing" resume!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:51 PM   #23
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
Turbo and flathead is not like oil and water...there are a couple of street engines around here one with the turbo hidden under the floor for a "oldschool" appearance.
You can cheat a bit with turbos by injecting fuel into the exhaust creating instant boost to avoid spool up time.
If mixture is an issue go E85 that gives you a wider span.
Gas is very picky about mixture compared to ethanol/methanol.
I can only speak to LS motors and I respect Ronnie's opinion on the issue. Was it Flatfire that had the twin spools and reverse flow?

E85 is the fuel of choice for boosted LS motors.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:58 PM   #24
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Heres my Two cents on the turbo idea.
Using a turbo on the Flathead in this application to run all out top speeds would not really be any better if the boost was progressive. If anything the progressive boost can create a huge problem by being lean in one RPM range and creating a rich situation in another RPM level. Running Lean is the killer when running a Flathead with a blower no matter if its a turbo or a roots type. Just going lean for a split second and the damage is done. Turning the turbo with the exhaust will create a restriction of exhaust flow thus increasing the super heating of the water taking place inside the block. This also will add to the danger of going lean. However things dont end there with the boost air pressure entering the carb inlet once the air pressure level goes above the fuel pump regulated pressure point the carb fuel bowls now filled with this air pressure will not allow the floats to drop to let the gas flow in and fill the empty bowls now you risk being lean in another way. To address this last issue the fuel pump/regulator system must be designed for the blow threw system. Going with a turbo turned by exhaust flow on a Flathead is not easy I know Phil Landry hes going in a different direction and is setting records along the way if it was easy everyone would do it. This combination is truly the best of what back yard hot rodding is all about. Now some may ask if i would try this idea and the answer is no. The supercharged class i run with the race car is a vintage class the rules do not allow the use of turbos,electric injectors or engine management systems.
Interesting. Didn't think about the spool up wait time creating a "cork" and heating the water jackets.

I wonder if you could make a two turbo (small lead in) and a larger, primary spool set up work. Some OHV use this to prevent lag.

I'd assume all the serious guys would have tried this before, so I'm just thinking out loud.

Really intrigued about this since it's "free" power, but I guess nothing is really free.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 03-03-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:20 PM   #25
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Well, there goes that "bench racing" session.

I am coming to the conclusion that some people on here take things waaaay to seriously.

you say that like it's a bad thing. All good. I'm learning something myself.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #26
tubman

I could explain to you how each thread has a "context", and now some posts fit better than others. This was a relatively light-hearted bit of banter that started with, of all things a flathead in a Mustang, that progressed to an attempt at trying to use a cheap though inappropriate roots type blower, and on to a $172 turbo. You yourself started it, and look at how you titled it.

Had someone purchased one of these, made the brackets and exhaust manifolds and started a thread asking what jets to use, it would be one thing, but that isn't what this one turned out to be about.

Last edited by tubman; 03-03-2020 at 09:38 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:53 PM   #27
Tinker

I'd like to see this kinda playout and not get into too much banter. So I'll shut my mouth.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:21 PM   #28
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Interesting. Didn't think about the spool up wait time creating a "cork" and heating the water jackets.

I wonder if you could make a two turbo (small lead in) and a larger, primary spool set up work. Some OHV use this to prevent lag.

I'd assume all the serious guys would have tried this before, so I'm just thinking out loud.

Really intrigued about this since it's "free" power, but I guess nothing is really free.
Tim if i was doing this type of system i would use compressed air to get the turbo spinning then the free power would become a reality. This way near instant boost would also be achieved plenty of new found power however fuel economy would probably suffer a bit.
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:57 PM   #29
Tinker

twin turbos have been around for a while. Compressed air is interesting.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:33 PM   #30
Tinker

Could you run compressed straight bottle oxygen with something like a super charger? Straight oxygen boost? Nitrous octane is better maybe.