Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
Lahti35

Default 1926 Ford model T seller issues

Just want folks to know... There's a 1926 Ford Model T Roadster in Union City, Indiana for sale by a guy who has decided to keep my cashier check and not allow me to pick up the car or refund the price. Not sure what his deal is but i've got a copy of the check endorsed by him and cashed yet he refuses to admit he has the funds.

If you see a black '26 roadster with red wire wheels and accessory front bumper, stewart speedo, and old factory sticker on the lower windscreen this car is in dispute.

Last edited by Lahti35; 11-28-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Lahti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
visionary

Default Re: 1926 Ford model T seller issues

Has it been ten days sice the check has been cashed? he may just be playing it safe and waiting till his banker tells him that the money has been credited to his acount.
visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
yachtsmanbill

Call his bank... it should have a cancellation stamp on it and confirm. ws
Old 11-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
trulyvintage

Lightbulb The rest of the story ....

Your posts on this matter over on the MTFCA Forum:

" I just want folks to know that if you run across a 1926 FORD model T for sale in Union City Indiana by a seller named Dan watch out. I paid for this car 5 weeks ago and he keeps insisting my cashiers check has not cleared when I have the copy to prove it has. He won't refund my money or let me pick up the car. This sort of thing really ruins the hobby. "

" I felt comfortable with the deal when it was started. originally I was going to drive to his house and pick it up, pay him in cash...etc... Uhaul wouldn't let me rent a hauler from them because my truck only had a 4000lb hitch so we altered the deal to paying with a cashiers check and a transport service. He says his bank won't release the funds to him but after 5 weeks i've got to draw the line somewhere... "

" I have a copy of the check, endorsed by him, and stamped by his bank. I had my bank dig into it. He swears its out for "collecting" and that everything is good. No title as of yet because he won't release it until payment clears... i'm inclined to think his bank is the real issue as it took them 3 weeks just to present it to my bank for cashing. We're now on week 5. If the guy's bank really is jerking him around that bites.

At this point i'm not saying more either way, just wanted folks to be aware that this T is involved in some trouble that hopefully will be resolved soon. "

-------------------------------------------------

What is MISSING from your posts is how you found the car - whether you have seen the car in person - how you agreed to a sale price - whether you have talked to the Seller over the phone or in person ......

Bay City, Michigan to Union City, Indiana is only 300 miles @ http://goo.gl/maps/2C85L

300 miles ? ? ?

Why didn't you just buy the car in cash - in person - then flatbed it away to local storage or pay to have it hauled back to where you live ?

Sorry, but to pay for a car by cashiers check and then wait
for weeks for " the check to clear " does not make sense when you live 300 miles away ........

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
Big John

ain't it the truth........
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
BUBBAS IGNITION

Your bank should be able to tell you how the check is handled on his end.
Over the past years i have been in this position and the cashiers check just didnt clear very quickly for one reason or another.
In this time of crooks and robbers a check ( for larger amounts) dont clear very quickly.
A Indy guy took a fake cashiers check a few years ago.......no one thought that could happen either....
I would give it some time....
I do have some car friends in Union City , be glad to ask for ya.....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Lahti35

Long story short you can read the thread over at the MTFCA forum if you want full details.

The sellers bank has some funky check verification service they offered him for $25 that takes 4-10 weeks... nobody told me it would take 4-10 weeks until week 5... Both the seller and I wish it had turned out different but it is what it is. I was acting on information/advice provided by my bank and would still do the same if I had to do it again.

The seller is a stand up guy, just some mis-communication between us and a funky bank involved. No ill will towards him... he'll refund the payment as soon as he can... I jsut hope it doesn't take the full 10 weeks. I know we'll both be dealing only in cash after this though... and i'll be bowing out of Model T anything for a long time to come.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
Lahti35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Your bank should be able to tell you how the check is handled on his end.
Over the past years i have been in this position and the cashiers check just didnt clear very quickly for one reason or another.
In this time of crooks and robbers a check ( for larger amounts) dont clear very quickly.
A Indy guy took a fake cashiers check a few years ago.......no one thought that could happen either....
I would give it some time....
I do have some car friends in Union City , be glad to ask for ya.....
Thanks for the offer but its all good. The check actually did clear back on the 16th, its just that his bank is holding the money hostage while they do this "domestic check collection" thing. I sent the cashiers check on 10/25 and he presented it at his bank before november so it took them 2.5 weeks to just clear it... slightly longer than my norm of 8-10 days but still within reason. Crazy banks, I won't send anymore cashiers checks I guess... darn Nigerian scammers!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
Lahti35

Default Re: The rest of the story ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulyvintage View Post
Your posts on this matter over on the MTFCA Forum:

" I just want folks to know that if you run across a 1926 FORD model T for sale in Union City Indiana by a seller named Dan watch out. I paid for this car 5 weeks ago and he keeps insisting my cashiers check has not cleared when I have the copy to prove it has. He won't refund my money or let me pick up the car. This sort of thing really ruins the hobby. "

" I felt comfortable with the deal when it was started. originally I was going to drive to his house and pick it up, pay him in cash...etc... Uhaul wouldn't let me rent a hauler from them because my truck only had a 4000lb hitch so we altered the deal to paying with a cashiers check and a transport service. He says his bank won't release the funds to him but after 5 weeks i've got to draw the line somewhere... "

" I have a copy of the check, endorsed by him, and stamped by his bank. I had my bank dig into it. He swears its out for "collecting" and that everything is good. No title as of yet because he won't release it until payment clears... i'm inclined to think his bank is the real issue as it took them 3 weeks just to present it to my bank for cashing. We're now on week 5. If the guy's bank really is jerking him around that bites.

At this point i'm not saying more either way, just wanted folks to be aware that this T is involved in some trouble that hopefully will be resolved soon. "

-------------------------------------------------

What is MISSING from your posts is how you found the car - whether you have seen the car in person - how you agreed to a sale price - whether you have talked to the Seller over the phone or in person ......

Bay City, Michigan to Union City, Indiana is only 300 miles @ http://goo.gl/maps/2C85L

300 miles ? ? ?

Why didn't you just buy the car in cash - in person - then flatbed it away to local storage or pay to have it hauled back to where you live ?

Sorry, but to pay for a car by cashiers check and then wait
for weeks for " the check to clear " does not make sense when you live 300 miles away ........

Jim
It sure doesn't... had i known it was going to be this long I would have taken the check back when first offered the chance, got a refund at my bank and made a 2nd try at an in person pickup. It gets a little complicated when you don't have a truck/trailer though and have to depend on others to borrow from now and then. I wish I had a yard big enough to keep a trailer in for these occasional needs.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:30 AM   #10
fordman67

all that and you arent going to get the car? what?
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote