Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2019, 08:24 PM   #1
Gold Digger

Default How much weight in a attached trunk

When I'm on a tour for a long distance I carry a 5 gallon can of gas along with a tool box, fire extinguisher and a jack. Also a gallon of water and a raincoat. Not sure what all of this weighs but I get a little concerned on bumpy roads. Last month I was on a tour and got stuck with 3 passengers besides my self. That was a load but I kelp up and got 24.04 mph. My biggest concern is the brackets that hold the trunk on the frame. I crawl under the car every time I carry a load in the trunk to see if there is any cracks but so for nun has shown up. Maybe I'm just worrying for nothing.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:32 PM   #2
rfitzpatrick

Default Re: How much weight in a attached trunk

Do you actually carry that much extra gas -- where is it stored during your drive?
I'd be worried this was the safety-issue.
Thanks
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:46 PM   #3
MickeyT

Send a message via MSN to MickeyT Send a message via Yahoo to MickeyT

Between the gas and water you've got about 40 lbs.The rest of it another 20 to 30+ depending on that tool box. I think you're looking at breaking something down the road
MickeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:19 AM   #4
Gold Digger

The reason I carry the extra gas on long tours only is we can't buy non-ethanol gas just anywhere here and I want burn ethanol anymore. My trunk is off an old 1924 Packard and is a little big for a ford but I like the way it opens and works out real well. Just wondering what the weight limit should be for trunks.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:53 AM   #5
rfitzpatrick

[QUOTE=Gold Digger;1760885]The reason I carry the extra gas on long tours only is we can't buy non-ethanol gas just anywhere here and I want burn ethanol anymore.

OK, so you don't carry say around town? Curious -- do many carry cans on their running boards now? Like oil/water maybe a tire pump? I like how that looks like when I do see it-- takin' the car back to period
Thanks
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:22 AM   #6
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyT View Post
Between the gas and water you've got about 40 lbs.The rest of it another 20 to 30+ depending on that tool box. I think you're looking at breaking something down the road
How about the weight of the trunk itself? An original wood with duck covering can be heavy as well.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #7
Jim Brierley

It is dangerous to carry gasoline in an enclose area, such as a trunk, because of the chance the fumes will explode (not just burn, EXPLODE) if a spark reaches it. I suspect 90% of us use unleaded in our A's, with no problems.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #8
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
It is dangerous to carry gasoline in an enclose area, such as a trunk, because of the chance the fumes will explode (not just burn, EXPLODE) if a spark reaches it. I suspect 90% of us use unleaded in our A's, with no problems.
Follow Jim's advice. No need to carry gas. I carry a small bottle of fuel stabilzer that I add at fillups., approx. 1oz/ 10 gallons or guess at it for less. The ethanol can eat up seals and gaskets and I dump it in for re- assurance. Probably the only mod A seals affected would be in our modern shut off valve and fuel filter.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:57 PM   #9
daveymc29

If I carry extra gasoline I have it out on the running board in a gallon can. I don't smoke anymore so gasoline doesn't worry me as much as it did when everyone smoked and there was a good chance someone would light up while I was filling from a can or at the pump. Never was a problem and in 34 years of car fires I never saw a gas tank explode. That's movies. But putting it in a trunk is not my idea of a safe place. if you got a leak you wouldn't know it until you opened the lid. By then a lot of things could be saturated and gas will burn rapidly if there is a flame or spark around and it has vaporized.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:13 AM   #10
MikeK

You didn't say what brackets you now have holding that unusual (for an A) Packard trunk. Wouldn't be too hard to design and make up stronger brackets, or even an add-on bracket to what you now have with more frame attachment points further forward to distribute the load.

You also seem concerned about checking for cracks. I'd be more concerned about shear loading on the existing fasteners. I've seen frame bolted trailer hitches with light loading shear wrong-spec bolts with no warning.

Both grade 2 (soft) and grade 8 (often too brittle) are wrong for shear. Use 5. Ideally there should be no fastener threads in the thru holes. That would cut the shear strength of the fastener in half. When in doubt, bigger is better and fine thread trumps coarse.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:00 AM   #11
Y-Blockhead

Not what you asked but I also think carrying a gas can in your trunk is unsafe. Have you ever looked into saddle tanks? https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tanks...nks,80729.html They hold 6.5 gallons per side and carry the weight down low.
I know they are a little on the expensive side but you could split the cost with a buddy and have 6.5 gallons each?
Just a thought...

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 05-25-2019 at 01:10 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:02 AM   #12
Gold Digger

That's a good idea Y-Block. I think I'll go that way. Thanks everyone for thoughts and information.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:26 AM   #13
old31

delete.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #14
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
Gold, I am smarter than the average model a'r. I just drilled a 3/4 inch hole in the center of each hub cap.
I'm sorry old31. I'm a little slow this morning. Could you explain that one to me , please?
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #15
old31

Your not slow, I am stupid. That was meant for someone else. DUH, senior moment.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:34 AM   #16
Ruth

Not a problem.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #17
7_Zero

As Mike pointed out, it will depend on the brackets you are using. When we got our 'A' it had the A-18576 type trunk brackets. During the first national convention we attended we were so nervous about what to expect that we probably loaded 70# worth of spare parts and tools into the trunk. The weeks activities went well, but when we arrived home and went to unload the car from the trailer we found that the trunk brackets were bent. The trunk and rack were still attached to the car, but the brackets were bent to a 90° angle.

We replaced the brackets with the A-18577 type. These are much sturdier and the rack now feels solid. I bet these brackets could handle the extra weight, but we lucked out once already and I do not want to take the chance to find out. With these heavy duty brackets I think the bolts would let go well before the bracket gave out.
7_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:02 PM   #18
Chris in WNC

carry no more than 1 gallon of 93 octane gas (no ethanol) if you feel you really might need it. I disagree- I have driven 50,000+ highway Model A miles and never needed a can of gas.
carry an empty gallon jug to fetch water in the unlikely event you need it and cannot find any close by. I have wheeled into folks' driveways and used their garden hose if nobody home.
now your trunk is a manageable weight...….
Old 05-30-2019, 04:44 PM   #19
Benson

never mind ...
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:42 PM   #20
brum1

On my 30 coupe I installed a second stock cross brace on the end of the bracket. This help to box the support and reduce trunk movement putting less stress on the brackets & frame.