Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
LOWRIDER

Default Front end alignment

Need to get my 61 Starliner's front end aligned. What specs are being used outside of the stock alignment. I have radials on it so I know I can increase the caster over the factory spec. Mainly looking for it to track straighter down the road. Everything is new up front, just need an alignment.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
5851a

Default Re: Front end alignment

You might try to find a shop that just specializes in alignment. The one around here was good enough to go to Indy for the 500. When they did your car it would never be better. Not saying you can't get good alignment somewhere else or chain brand but when they get to something not on the computer most are at a loss.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #3
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Front end alignment

Agreed, find a specialty shop.

They will (should) know how to go about an alignment on an older chassis with radials. The will be an increase in POSITIVE CAMBER and a reduction in TOE-IN.

Buy a tread depth gauge and keep an eye on wear.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
Ole Don

I visited with a friend who has 40 years experience with alignment. He said on a vehicle with changes such as a different front clip, or serious lowering, he likes these figures. He like three to four degrees of positive camber or as much as you can get, and zero to 1/16 toe in.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #5
Ford blue blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Don View Post
I visited with a friend who has 40 years experience with alignment. He said on a vehicle with changes such as a different front clip, or serious lowering, he likes these figures. He like three to four degrees of positive camber or as much as you can get, and zero to 1/16 toe in.

Do you mean "positive castor"? Positive camber will lean the top of the tire out and give serious under steer.

Every car I have taken to my alignment guy (stock 58 Edsel, 62 Bird, 57 wagon, three with Mustang II suspensions) puts 3 - 4 degrees positive castor, 0 - 1/2 degree negative camber and 1/16 toe. Cars have all driven great and tire wear is negligible. Tires on my 36 "aged" out before any significant signs of wear!

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #6
bobss396

The most caster I could get on my '59 was 2 degrees. Which was fine, it drives well. I followed the factory camber settings, toe set at 0 since I run radials. I borrowed a rack at a friend's shop to align it. Otherwise I recommend the oldest alignment shop in town, or truck shops are good places too.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:51 PM   #7
LOWRIDER

Thanks for posting your alignment specs, that's what I was looking for. I was thinking along the lines of 2 degrees positive caster, 0-1/2 degree negative camber with 1/8in toe-in. Not far from stock specs and it should run good down the road. As far as finding the oldest alignment shop there aren't any. Seems like only the tire stores do alignments here.