Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2019, 11:39 AM   #1
GOSFAST

Default 8BA Rear Cam Brg Oil Supply??

Looking for feed back on EXACTLY how the rear cam brg gets oiled, for the moment specifically on the 8BA platform only??

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. If I'm thinking correctly how the system is setup I MAY have another nice "mod" to help with better oiling to that specific brg, we'll see. I'm also thinking this may only work if the OEM fuel pump pushrod isn't used! In other words for an electric fuel pump setup!
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: 8BA Rear Cam Brg Oil Supply??

Wasn't aware that there was a lubrication problem but it sure looks like the idler/cam gear chamber gets filled up with residual oil from the pump then extra oil seeps out the top and thru the bearing.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 10-19-2019 at 12:27 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #3
19Fordy

The 3 Fordbarn videos by Walt DuPont in this thread explain it.Check it out.
Watch all 3 videos. Excellent info.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ures+V8+Oiling
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Wasn't aware that there was a lubrication problem but it sure looks like the idler/cam gear chamber gets filled up with residual oil from the pump then extra oil seeps out the top and thru the bearing.

Thats exactly correct the rear cam bearing sees the oil that fills the rear idler gear chamber.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #5
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Thats exactly correct the rear cam bearing sees the oil that fills the rear idler gear chamber.
Ronnieroadster
Hi Ronnie, thanks, now that I have a cam nearby (I didn't have one when I initially posted) I can see that's absolutely how it gets oiled!

If I get time I'm going to try to modify the oiling to the rear cam brg anyway.

Getting the oil supplied there thru the main oil galley is relatively easy, not sure why it was ever designed the way it is now? As long as the fuel pump rod is not in the program it's very easy!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. On a side note here for many who believe the cam brgs play a very small role in the overall oil pressure I can tell you this, we've gone to the lengths of coating the cam brgs to "tighten" them up some! Just stripped a 255" Merc in relatively nice shape, but here's the issue, the brg clearance as it is now measures .004"+. It's a combination of the brg "wear" (in this instance is not all that bad really) and the fact that every journal is on the "low", this is the OEM Merc cam. I have other original ones here and almost all are the same size, on the "low" side. This makes for the add'l clearance between the brgs and the journals. We like to send them down the road with about .002", but no more than .0025". All the aftermarket cams I have here now are actually on the "high" side of the dimension, this helps, the "Teflon" coating helps more still if needed, we can tighten it up another .0005"/.0007" with no problem!
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #6
Ronnieroadster

Gary I would be very careful with the idea of modifying the oiling to the rear cam bearing. One problem your going to have is that angled slot on the camshafts rear bearing surface. Thats slot is going to create a huge loss of oil pressure and volume delivery when its introduced into the oil flow from the oil pump. Remember this added opening will be located at the beginning of the oil feed before getting to the rest of the engine. So now the remaining bearings will end up receiving a reduced volume of oil. Myself and a few others have pondered the Flathead oil system for a while now as designed its more than adequate. But if the intention is to really produce lots of power improvements are needed and the changes we do still leave the rear cam bearing oiling design alone even when making well over 500 HP.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #7
Pete

Converting the rear cam bearing to priority oiling like the other 2 is relatively simple.
All that is required is a set screw to block the groove (2 grooves in early cores), pull the bushing and tap the hole for a plug.

It also could be done so you could still use the stock fuel pump but that is more complicated.

All of this in NOT really needed for most engines up to 300 hp.
On anything above that it is a good idea to convert the mains to priority oiling.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #8
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSFAST View Post

P.S. On a side note here for many who believe the cam brgs play a very small role in the overall oil pressure I can tell you this, we've gone to the lengths of coating the cam brgs to "tighten" them up some! Just stripped a 255" Merc in relatively nice shape, but here's the issue, the brg clearance as it is now measures .004"+. It's a combination of the brg "wear" (in this instance is not all that bad really) and the fact that every journal is on the "low", this is the OEM Merc cam. I have other original ones here and almost all are the same size, on the "low" side. This makes for the add'l clearance between the brgs and the journals. We like to send them down the road with about .002", but no more than .0025". All the aftermarket cams I have here now are actually on the "high" side of the dimension, this helps, the "Teflon" coating helps more still if needed, we can tighten it up another .0005"/.0007" with no problem!
Took a different route to correct the situation using an Eastwood zink plating kit.
A felt tip marker was used to coat the areas where no plating was wanted.
A .001 layer of plating was deposited using my own home made battery charger instead of the kit battery method.
The sharp edge on the block where the bearing is inserted was broken using a flapper wheel to round off.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 10-20-2019 at 09:55 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote