Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
daveymc29

Default oil leak, B/W O/D

Had a gentleman reassemble my overdrive, (BW). There is a small leak between the Adaptor plates at the front and back. Small drop will form after sitting a day or two. I suspect it will leak more while in operation and probably is no problem if I add a squirt every so often, but I wonder if there is a stop leak like product that works where there is a metal to metal finish and no gaskets used? I doubt he used any form of sealant during reassembly. Not a big deal yet, but I sure don't want to have to pull the dang thing out again. I'm getting too old to do this alone. Took me about a week to get it a installed and adjusted, now I want a magical cure for the minor leak before it gets worse.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:28 AM   #2
Dodge

Default Re: oil leak, B/W O/D

No mechanic in a can you can put in there. The stop leak products that are around are seal swellers that soften hardened seals.
I would drain it and hit it with brake cleaner until it slows down, then put a bead of silicone
Around the joint and let it cure for several days before you refill it.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:39 AM   #3
30 Closed Cab PU

Flex seal?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #4
daveymc29

Dodge,

Could I use the old dum dum sealer after cleaning as you recommend? Or would the silicone be better? We used to stop gasoline leaks with the dum dum, although I think that was just to get the vehicle off the street to a shop, not a long time cure. Thanks, I'll drain it for a few days and add the brake cleaner and and after a spell, try to seal it.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #5
larrys40

There’s no magical cure. I have done a number of those overdrives for the later model ford or Mercury’s and Lincoln’s as they were intended for and you have to seal them up well with etc and he proper fitting gaskets. Make sure all surfaces are flat and free of irregularities. Also make sure the plunger lip seal is fitting well.
Not sure what your assembly and rebuild process was but there’s no other major Bullet I would use as an additive that will seal it. In fact you could do more harm than good. Just know that lack of lubrication is the death of those overdrives so making sure he reservoirs are full is very important.
Larry shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:35 PM   #6
Dodge

I don’t know about the dum dum except that sometime I am one. I have had good luck with the silicone on leaky oil pan ends. So I think it work well here. The adapter plates on the BW’s are usually a lot bigger than the old they both to. That should leave a good area to run a nice bead on.
I buy the big tubes of G.E. 100% black silicone ar Home Depot and use a caulking gun.
It much more controllable than using the little squeeze tubes.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:45 PM   #7
1crosscut

I don't think Dodge meant for you to put the brake cleaner inside but to use it on the outside of the joint to get it squeaky clean before putting a bead around the joint. I did the same thing to the bung on my oil pan as it had been spun slightly and it was seeping oil around it. That was about 7 years ago and not a drop since. I've done the same thing on a couple of other things that were similar. Has worked well for me.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:15 PM   #8
KR500

The BW overdrives I have reassembled I had to make new gaskets. Also make sure you have good rear seal otherwise torque tube may fill with lube from overdrive. Tom Endy offers some good advice on the BW overdrives.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:35 AM   #9
Dodge

DaveyMC29

Any luck? keep us posted.

Dodge