Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
fredski53
Member
 
fredski53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: La Porte, IN
Posts: 80
Default Barrett-Jackson

I was just watching the Barrett-Jackson live from Scottsdale. Listening to the comments from the so called experts. A 29 Model A pick up rolled across the block and expert Steve Magnatta commented on how hard is was to drive with all the controls on the steering column! Saying that at higher speeds you have to retard the spark! WTF! Earlier there was a 1960 Chevy Impala with a V-8 and they were saying it had the 348 in it. I couldn't tell what size engine it was, but I know it wasn't a 348! These guys are a joke!
fredski53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
WHN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,071
Default Re: Barrett-Jackson

It’s all for TV. There just filling time with words.

There’s a lot of that on cable TV today.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #3
desotoguy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Greenwood SC
Posts: 234
Default Re: Barrett-Jackson

My control has a mute button, I don't listen to the dialog, just watch the picture and the bid price.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:51 PM   #4
Jeff/Illinois
Senior Member
 
Jeff/Illinois's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,978
Default Re: Barrett-Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotoguy View Post
My control has a mute button, I don't listen to the dialog, just watch the picture and the bid price.
That's a good move.

I DVR this event to speed thru the endless mindless commercials seems like they sell three cars and then it's 6-8 commercials for the next 8 minutes or so. And just when you see something coming up that may be worth watching. They do this especially to antique cars they highlight the big buck muscle cars.

Best to watch it live on the Internet you don't see all the commercial junk.

That reminds me, I'm supposed to ask my doctor about some pharm garbage but I can't recall the names That's what the voice over keeps telling you anyway! And last year Americans spent just south of 5 billion on prescribed drugs god knows how many billions on the street corner guy's stash. If people were addicted to the old car hobby not drugs it would be a nicer place to live.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:29 PM   #5
Classiccanuck
Senior Member
 
Classiccanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada
Posts: 221
Default Re: Barrett-Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
Itís all for TV. There just filling time with words.

Thereís a lot of that on cable TV today.
Agree
Classiccanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #6
Patrick L.
Senior Member
 
Patrick L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Upstate NY and western Florida
Posts: 5,184
Default Re: Barrett-Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredski53 View Post
I was just watching the Barrett-Jackson live from Scottsdale. Listening to the comments from the so called experts. A 29 Model A pick up rolled across the block and expert Steve Magnatta commented on how hard is was to drive with all the controls on the steering column! Saying that at higher speeds you have to retard the spark! WTF! Earlier there was a 1960 Chevy Impala with a V-8 and they were saying it had the 348 in it. I couldn't tell what size engine it was, but I know it wasn't a 348! These guys are a joke!




What did the valve covers on the Chevy look like ?
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:45 AM   #7
Bob Bidonde
Senior Member
 
Bob Bidonde's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,520
Default Re: Barrett-Jackson

The 348 Chevy V8 was a truck engine that found its way into passenger cars during the horsepower war years. In the Impala, the 348 first appeared in 1958, and it was offered until 1961 when it was replaced by the 409.

The 348 was Chevy's first big block for passenger cars.
__________________
Bob Bidonde
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #8
jhowes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upstate NY near Mass border
Posts: 760
Default Re: Barrett-Jackson

The chevy 348 and 409 had a scalloped valve cover. The 348 may have been available in the 60 impala as i don't know when the 348 was bored out to make the 409. I had a 348 in 1958 but the 409 came in the early 60's jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #9
1931 flamingo
Senior Member
 
1931 flamingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: new britain,ct 06052
Posts: 8,174
Default Re: Barrett-Jackson

It's entertainment...................................
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:38 PM   #10
fredski53
Member
 
fredski53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: La Porte, IN
Posts: 80
Default Re: Barrett-Jackson

Patrick, the valve covers were just plain, straight covers. I always thought the Chevy 348/409 valve covers were scalloped. It just made me laugh when the expert said it had a 348 ! This "expert " had his own tv show called junkyard gold! He would go to old junkyards and talk about the old cars he would see in the yards.
fredski53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #11
GPierce
Senior Member
 
GPierce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Germantown,TN
Posts: 186
Default Re: Barrett-Jackson

Chevrolet 409
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 51A1C609-FAEE-41D5-A368-484C12BC2E00.jpeg (44.4 KB, 40 views)
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #12
1928Mik
Senior Member
 
1928Mik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Zanesville Ohio USA
Posts: 136
Default Re: Barrett-Jackson

I used to faithfully watch the B/J Scottsdale every January, doing the fantasy bids and all that. Then I noticed #1, all Steve Davis talks about are Fords, Mustangs in particular, and how the car is the 'real deal' when he interrupts the auctioneer, #2, Craig Jackson is very rude to bidders at times and loves to interrupt the bidding to try to hike it up, #3, everything is inflated, commercialized, and categorized according to what the announcers favorites are, #4, Mike Joy has always owned one of the cars on the block and talks about how great it was, #5, Steve Magnante is a walking car encyclopedia but he is not always correct, and #6, Chris Jacobs is a tool and knows absolutely nothing. Now I casually will watch but only for a much shorter time. Basically the best thing now is to keep an eye out for the leather pants on the 'Sold Sticker' girl.
__________________
1928 Niagara Blue Phaeton
1972 Olds 442 Convertible

Last edited by 1928Mik; 03-07-2019 at 04:12 PM.
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:19 PM   #13
30 Closed Cab PU
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,503
Default Re: Barrett-Jackson

I am amazed at the quantity and the quality of the cars. The show currently running said the auction was for either 500 or 700 cars, I forget which # is correct. And this is only one auction. It seems strange to me that over the past few years there is a large enough market for this quantity of hugely expensive cars that either are not used, or trailer queens, or only used for leisure. And the builders keep adding to the quantity. Makes me wonder if there will be a huge crash in this market. Probably at the next major economic downturn.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:12 AM   #14
holdover
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SW Virginia near the Blue ridge Parkway
Posts: 564
Default Re: Barrett-Jackson

I no longer have Direct TV, got tired of paying 80 bucks for a commercial every few minutes. I watch BJ by live streaming and opt not to listen to the talking heads. That is one nice thing about BJ, they give you that option.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #15
JRN1967
Member
 
JRN1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Springfield, MA
Posts: 64
Default Re: Barrett-Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
I am amazed at the quantity and the quality of the cars. The show currently running said the auction was for either 500 or 700 cars, I forget which # is correct. And this is only one auction. It seems strange to me that over the past few years there is a large enough market for this quantity of hugely expensive cars that either are not used, or trailer queens, or only used for leisure. And the builders keep adding to the quantity. Makes me wonder if there will be a huge crash in this market. Probably at the next major economic downturn.
Same as you, I often wonder how much longer this will continue? One of my older brothers is a Baby Boomer and he refers to his muscle cars as 401K's. I disagree, because I think there will be a void when Baby Boomers get a few more years older. Younger generations grew up driving foreign cars in their teen age years. They don't look at older cars the same way we do.

That's why I like my Model A driver. For under 10K I'm out there having fun, and if the bottom drops out of the market. I won't really care, because I own it cause I love it. Not because of some profit I might get out of it.

John
JRN1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #16
California Travieso
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Moreno Valley, CA
Posts: 609
Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso
Default Re: Barrett-Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928Mik View Post
I used to faithfully watch the B/J Scottsdale every January, doing the fantasy bids and all that. Then I noticed #1, all Steve Davis talks about are Fords, Mustangs in particular, and how the car is the 'real deal' when he interrupts the auctioneer, #2, Craig Jackson is very rude to bidders at times and loves to interrupt the bidding to try to hike it up, #3, everything is inflated, commercialized, and categorized according to what the announcers favorites are, #4, Mike Joy has always owned one of the cars on the block and talks about how great it was, #5, Steve Magnante is a walking car encyclopedia but he is not always correct, and #6, Chris Jacobs is a tool and knows absolutely nothing. Now I casually will watch but only for a much shorter time. Basically the best thing now is to keep an eye out for the leather pants on the 'Sold Sticker' girl.
I agree with everything you said, but especially about Chris Jacobs. He's an idiot and not a car guy at all.

On the early episodes of Overhaulin' he used to do those stupid pranks where they would pretend to "steal" the cars they were going to work on.

He tried to prank one car owner by putting Chip Foose in trunk of the car when they "recovered" the car. The car owner was a cop and when they opened the trunk and Chip popped out he pulled his gun out and aimed it at Chip. Chip almost got shot! Must have scared the $..t out of Foose.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #17
Jeff/Illinois
Senior Member
 
Jeff/Illinois's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,978
Default Re: Barrett-Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRN1967 View Post
Same as you, I often wonder how much longer this will continue? One of my older brothers is a Baby Boomer and he refers to his muscle cars as 401K's. I disagree, because I think there will be a void when Baby Boomers get a few more years older. Younger generations grew up driving foreign cars in their teen age years. They don't look at older cars the same way we do.

That's why I like my Model A driver. For under 10K I'm out there having fun, and if the bottom drops out of the market. I won't really care, because I own it cause I love it. Not because of some profit I might get out of it.

John
Truer words never spoken. Only the people hawking high dollar cars to increase the sold price for their own commission speak as though these things are 'investments' for the future. If that was true why aren't they buying them up? No, 401K and collector cars can't be used in the same sentence I don't see it.

I think the market for cars is already going soft. The prices on some of this stuff is un-sustainable. Buy what you want, have fun, don't fret about resale value. You're going to die someday anyway after that they will shove your car out in the driveway and some auctioneer will send it on it's way. Somebody else is going to get it. The cars will always have SOME value and once that is turned into cash, that money will be long gone on something else.

I don't know the value of Vettes, but I was just at a friends house one day this week and he has a '64 convertible that is a show car. He is the second owner has the whole history of the car. Anyway he said to me 'See that Vette over there?' (He has a huge Morton building he keeps his cars in). I told him yes. He said 'Do you know what that car is worth today?' I told him I had no idea. He said $35K on a good day but I don't think I could even get that today. The value has dropped a LOT in the last several years.'

He knows that market a lot better than I do, I don't follow that part of the old car segment.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #18
30 Closed Cab PU
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,503
Default Re: Barrett-Jackson

Pranking a cop? Just asking for problems, but sure is funny since Chip did not get hurt


With these shows you never know, could have been staged.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #19
1928Mik
Senior Member
 
1928Mik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Zanesville Ohio USA
Posts: 136
Default Re: Barrett-Jackson

"I agree with everything you said, but especially about Chris Jacobs. He's an idiot and not a car guy at all."


Yeah for sure, that guy is just annoying....



But really, I think those shows have skewed the market quite a bit, and now everyone thinks they have something worth a fortune. I know one guy who bought a GTO at a Mecum Auction a few years ago for 11 grand, then reentered it the next day hoping to cash in. It went for 9 grand the second time, so he lost many $$ since he paid both buyers and sellers fees. More money than sense. The market tends to readjust every few years anyhow. I'm like JRN1967, Model A's are a good hobby that are reasonable and fun and I don't think of them as big money makers.
__________________
1928 Niagara Blue Phaeton
1972 Olds 442 Convertible
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #20
Jeff/Illinois
Senior Member
 
Jeff/Illinois's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,978
Default Re: Barrett-Jackson

B-J, American Pickers, and other 'reality' TV shows have done a lot to hurt this hobby. More harm than any possible good.

They have taken a lot of the fun out of this hobby. For reasons stated, mainly every fool with any rusted out hulk thinks he has a gold mine sitting there.

Big money seems to wreck a lot of hobbies. They have done it to antique guns, petroleum collectibles, old tractors, and on and on.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 PM.