Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #1
mfirth

Default Extreme coil & plugs, why ?

O K gurus, the only way my 8ba with 6 volt pos grnd, Max 1 cam, Offy 400 heads & 94 carb runs good is using xr4 Ngk plugs & a 45k volt coil.
New wires and ign parts and gr8 fuel delivery. Any ideas....seems nuts to me.
Thanks fellas, mike
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:38 PM   #2
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: Extreme coil & plugs, why ?

Well heres my take on it . The fact that NGK changes nothing except the heat range . A champion 10 ( suggested) might not run as well as the ngk , however if thats true ( and it could be) the the engine needed a different design OR a different heat range !!! Next if you need a 45K coil we really do have a problem ! A coil will fire only whats needed no more or no less. With the flathead design there no way ( without a blower) that we would ever/ever need 45 volts !! On a good day even going up hill with a load 8-12 max would work just fine.
Not saying that ya dont need those parts , my point is something like mods etc created the issue. Could be so lean it needs a higher out put but i for sure would spend some time looking at it .............
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:29 AM   #3
mfirth

Thanks BUBBA ! Just heard yesterday that some guys here have gotten "bad Gas" from the same place i filled up last time. What you said makes alot of sense..... I'm gonna fill it with Sunoco Ultra & try the stock coil & go from there. THANKS AGAIN !
Hope you're do'n good & glad you only go twice a week now. mike
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:06 AM   #4
oldandtired

Poor quality gasoline seems to be a prevalent issue these days. When my wife and I travel, the fuel economy in the same vehicle, same load, same speeds, nominally the same octane gas, we routinely have fuel efficiency variations that sometimes go as high as 20% or more after using up the fuel and filling the tank elsewhere. I am writing about late model vehicles with the mpg display on the instrument cluster but the miles driven and the instrument cluster mpg check out so it is not some calibration issue and it happens on virtually al of our trips. Yes, there are different formulations for fuel when travelling long distances, but it is difficult to see how anyone benefits from a different fuel formulation if it knocks 20% or more off of the fuel economy. Burning 20% or more more fuel would seem to more than offset any claimed benefit to the different formulation in terms of emissions.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:46 PM   #5
Ronnieroadster

The NGK plugs your using are not correct the correct NGK plug for the Flathead is B-4L colder and B-6L hotter gaped a t.030 to .035. The plugs you have I think are a resistor type if they are thats a big mistake with a six volt system. Another mistake made at times is the type of plug wires being used suppression type plug wires are also not a good idea with a six volt system.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote