Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2016, 08:37 PM   #201
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

I got the front door stiles laminated up and today I got a few hours to rough out the driver's door side. There are seven laminations of 3/8" maple and there will be one more on the outer surface. This outer layer will extend about 1/2" forward of the post, creating the forward lip which fits into the cowl's rabbet. Using this method allows me to bandsaw the inner door's contours to fit the door opening, then fit the last outer layer that shows. The 'built in place' finger joints created by offsetting my material should be really strong while maintaining a fair curve to match the vertical lines of the pickup cowl. This is a very labor intensive project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door posts 005.JPG (128.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg door posts 010.JPG (87.7 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg door posts 015.jpg (44.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg door posts 018.jpg (34.0 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg door posts 028.JPG (129.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg door posts 029.JPG (57.8 KB, 98 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:01 AM   #202
flatford8

Hey GB....... Great video!!!.... Very professional.... Nice place you have there.... Nobody could do a video like that about my projects... Because my face only looks good on radio!!!!... Let me know if you want the rubber and what size, so I dont bother shipping something thats to small....I work alot of hours and am busy with my own projects, so it might take me a little while to find suitable packaging and get it shipped way "over there"... The truck looks great!!!!..... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #203
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Hey GB....... Great video!!!.... Very professional.... Nice place you have there.... Nobody could do a video like that about my projects... Because my face only looks good on radio!!!!... Let me know if you want the rubber and what size, so I dont bother shipping something thats to small....I work alot of hours and am busy with my own projects, so it might take me a little while to find suitable packaging and get it shipped way "over there"... The truck looks great!!!!..... Mark
I had been working for the guy and he's a cinematographer in Hollywood. My last kid had just moved away and he was the one who had always done a cellphone video of my 'first drives' for youtube. Their place is nearby and Geoff seemed like he needed a project so I asked if he'd come by after work and film the panel truck. Well 3 trips later with a high definition movie camera he comes up with this. I will get some good measurements today and heck, you could at least let me pay the shipping!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 04-25-2016, 09:31 PM   #204
GB SISSON

I keep going back and forth between the wood body, the engine and the sheet metal depending on my mood...... After work today I pulled out my best grill bars and the front bumper I bought off CL a year ago anticipating the woodie project. Just cleaning up and sorting, not installing anything for good. Maybe I'll drag out the front fenders next week and start welding up the cracks......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodie grill and bumper 014.JPG (135.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg woodie grill and bumper 015.JPG (138.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg woodie grill and bumper 016.JPG (108.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #205
docrock

Outstanding workmanship on these doors, and great pics. Thank you
docrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:18 PM   #206
tiger.1000

Graeme,

Here's my Goldie....once a year in the summer we have a "Goldie evening".....see who can actually start it and determine who's first to recover from either bruised shins or severe arm-ache after a belt up the country lanes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GOLDIE 003.JPG (196.8 KB, 86 views)
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #207
GB SISSON

Been working on the rear doors and riding the BSA a bit too. I finally built the rear doors. Not the tailgate but the rear doors for passengers. I had bought some real heavy duty 2 1/2" hinges to hang them on but for the life of me I can't find them anywhere..... The photos show the very first fit into the opening and it isn't too bad. Some needs to be relieved so they will sit plumb. I have yet to determine how the windows will operate, but I have a lot of router bits and a welder to alter them if needed to get clearance. Tomorrow we will be on the mainland starting a much needed 4 day weekend. First stop is a guy I found in Oak Harbor who has 3 ford woodies and is willing to show me the doors and lots of other parts so I can get some dimensions and photos before I build the front doors. The front doors have been keeping me up at night, but really it's the regular work jobs that stress me and the woodie project keeps me sane. Or relatively so...... The mahogany looking panels you see are marine plywood I get from my supplier for 70 bucks and it's 9 ply 3/8". I see woodies that have mahogany panels and others with birch or ash or whatever. I tend to like the blonde wood for panels. Any advice on what would have been customary for the era? I have a vacuum press for veneers and access to any species so open to ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear doors for real 002.JPG (132.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg rear doors for real 015.JPG (95.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg rear doors for real 026.JPG (120.8 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 05-20-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:04 AM   #208
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger.1000 View Post
Graeme,

Here's my Goldie....once a year in the summer we have a "Goldie evening".....see who can actually start it and determine who's first to recover from either bruised shins or severe arm-ache after a belt up the country lanes.
Absolutely beautiful the ultimate 500 " one lunger" in my opinion, a real Isle of Man bike, you have to love the rake of that pipe. Thanks for posting the pic.

Hey GB haven't looked at this thread for a while, the woodwork is a masterpiece, the blond panels look fantastic.

Graeme

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:06 AM   #209
Bill

Well I gotta stick my nose in it ..again. You're a mile away from wood varnish but when the time comes I'm suggesting you go with the dark panel inserts and for varnish make sure it has an amber tint not clear. This will make it look like it was refinished years ago which should be the effect you are looking for. Go with a spar varnish not the plastic looking urethanes. You can thank me later..you'll see!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07725.jpg (114.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07726.jpg (133.1 KB, 50 views)
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #210
GB SISSON

I'm a huge fan of old fashioned spar varnish. The more amber the better. I totally get what you are saying. Still on the fence about mahogany or lighter wood for the panels. Well, I gotta run to catch the ferry. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #211
wga

GB - wow, incredible work. Something about working with spar varnish that brings out the inherent beauty of the wood. For the doors, Ford had the dark mahogany inserts,
and when varnished, the contrast is awesome - as with Bill's. Either way, you have will have a stunning car.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:46 PM   #212
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Well I gotta stick my nose in it ..again. You're a mile away from wood varnish but when the time comes I'm suggesting you go with the dark panel inserts and for varnish make sure it has an amber tint not clear. This will make it look like it was refinished years ago which should be the effect you are looking for. Go with a spar varnish not the plastic looking urethanes. You can thank me later..you'll see!
Bill what are those wheels you are using...interesting, are they merc caps? Very subtle, lovely woody.

Graeme

Old 05-21-2016, 05:16 PM   #213
docrock

20160325_185936.jpg This is my Woodie and I am a big fan of dark panels. I use Mahogany with gunstock stain. This car is built out of Birch and I stained it with Golden Pecan and 15 coats of Epifanes. Keep up the great work and the pics.
docrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:00 PM   #214
GB SISSON

Finally got some time to fit those rear doors to the posts prior to hinging and latches. I have a new camera because the old one is trashed with too much dust and grit. For the most part the woodie project has taken a back burner to my busiest summer ever. Perhaps my biggest pet peeve with the car hobby is people who start something and never finish it, sell it for peanuts as a basket case with boxes of unopened expensive parts. I have been rebuilding old ford trucks since 1973 and have driven every single one and next spring I will be driving this woodie. In some ways it's almost a curse. My dad once asked me if I remembered how as a kid I would get a model car kit and I would not quit until it was done. Sometimes that meant 3 am and sleeping at my desk the next day at school. Like there's something wrong with that.... I need to learn to be more like my supervisor (pictured) and sit down and relax and enjoy the project, but I'm just not used to such a complex endeavor as this woodie. I guess this one's a two year project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new camera fuji 056.jpg (64.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-02-2016, 03:45 AM   #215
Graeme / New Zealand

Here's a 37 Woody that SWOOP who posts on this site made from a sedan that has been "trucked" I'll let him tell the story.......... "I started to build this from a 37 sedan that had been trucked.
Got the wood templates from Ken Terrio.
Had the doors ,rear 1/4's and tailgate made by an old woodworking craftsman.
Stained and varnished them myself, and then sold the car to a buddy.
Doesn't look too bad for a copy though".

Just thought this may be of interest to all woody fans.

Graeme
Attached Images
File Type: jpg myold37woody [410160].jpg (90.5 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Graeme / New Zealand; 06-02-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:32 AM   #216
GB SISSON

That's a great job he did. I guess 'trucked' means the sedan had been converted to a truck or ute. Any before picture?
Old 06-02-2016, 11:44 PM   #217
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
That's a great job he did. I guess 'trucked' means the sedan had been converted to a truck or ute. Any before picture?
Swoop will see this and if he's got a pic he can send me I can post it. Yes "trucked" is exactly that. It was common practice here in NZ to cut the rears off old sedans and turn them into trucks/ utes, especially by "cockies" (farmers).

Graeme

Old 06-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #218
jerseyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I guess this one's a two year project.
GB, You are way ahead of me, and I started in 2006! Now I just have to finish reconditioning all the parts, and assemble.
You are getting this done quickly!

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:38 PM   #219
GB SISSON

Somewhere along the last month I found the missing hinges and hung the rear doors. The hinges were for weld on so I had to drill and countersink them. I'd like to have all the doors and rear gates installed this fall if possible. That will make one year. I sort of look forward to the mechanical work like engine/trans and brakes as it is so much different than my ordinary work day. Today I found some early photos of the project that were miss labled in another section so thought I'd post one from the early days along with my door hinge pics. With the busy summer we are having at work, four kids and five grandkids, big wedding in August, I guess the front doors have to wait. We'll have tons of new relatives from Northern California who we have never met and have never been to the island, so we have to clean up the place a bit. Here's something anyhow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodie mockup.jpg (75.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg newesr fuji 026.jpg (39.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg newesr fuji 043.jpg (65.2 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg newesr fuji 046.jpg (58.2 KB, 73 views)
Old 06-19-2016, 11:20 AM   #220
RalphM

Boy that sure is coming along! I like the logo on the front door too!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote