Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-06-2021, 02:59 PM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Front fender usage claification

I am restoring a July 1928 OCP.

The Standards tell me on page 13-6 Revised 2016, Paragraph 4, April 1928, the last sentence, that "The earlier rounded style fender was installed in some assembly plants through July 1928".

OK...If I use the "early rounded style fender" on this July 1928 Pickup as the Standards indicate...Should this type of fender have the "flat stamped steel plate" reinforcement bracket OR the "Steel forging" reinforcement bracket on the fender?

OR, would either/or be acceptable?

Now...The early, rounded style fender ALSO came with the "Steel forging" bracket.

Thanks.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:59 PM   #2
marc silva

Default Re: Front fender usage claification

When you say rounded fender do you mean the rear part of the stamping nearer the fire wall at the bottom ? My car is a November car and that part on mine rounds out to the outside and is not like a 29 fender. I am the third owner of the car and as far as I can tell it’s all original parts. It is a local car. Not a California car but local to the area since purchase + or -

Last edited by marc silva; 04-07-2021 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Correction
marc silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:10 PM   #3
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc silva View Post
When you say rounded fender do you mean the rear part of the stamping nearer the fire wall at the bottom ? My car is a November car and that part on mine rounds out to the outside and is not like a 29 fender. I am the third owner of the car and as far as I can tell it’s all original parts. It is a local car. Not a California car but local to the area since purchase + or -
Yes
Old 04-08-2021, 08:10 AM   #4
marc silva

Thanks Steve. I forgot to include that my car has cast fender braces front and rear.
marc silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:33 AM   #5
Neil Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
I am restoring a July 1928 OCP.

The Standards tell me on page 13-6 Revised 2016, Paragraph 4, April 1928, the last sentence, that "The earlier rounded style fender was installed in some assembly plants through July 1928".

OK...If I use the "early rounded style fender" on this July 1928 Pickup as the Standards indicate...Should this type of fender have the "flat stamped steel plate" reinforcement bracket OR the "Steel forging" reinforcement bracket on the fender?

OR, would either/or be acceptable?

Now...The early, rounded style fender ALSO came with the "Steel forging" bracket.

Thanks.

Pluck

Steve, Do you have an early design fender (original) with the forged reinforcement? Or does anyone? All early fenders I have seen had the flat design reinforcement.

There were actually two designs for the early fender - 7" and 5" frame flange (see attached photos).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-16006 d1 q8.jpg (48.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg A-16006 d2 q8.jpg (59.8 KB, 68 views)

https://aafords.com Ford Model AA Truck Club @ aafords.com
Neil Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:14 AM   #6
Steve Plucker
BANNED

I will check today Neil.

Pluck
Old 04-08-2021, 10:28 AM   #7
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Neil,

I have three (3) of the 7" type with the flat reinforcment.

The other five (5) are of the 5-3/4" type and those have a mix of flat and forged reimnforecments.

Pluck
Old 04-08-2021, 11:28 AM   #8
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
Steve, Do you have an early design fender (original) with the forged reinforcement? Or does anyone? All early fenders I have seen had the flat design reinforcement.

There were actually two designs for the early fender - 7" and 5" frame flange (see attached photos).
Neil, I know about that,..but I don't think it's in the JS.
I brought it up and got shot down..
djm
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #9
Neil Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Neil,

I have three (3) of the 7" type with the flat reinforcment.

The other five (5) are of the 5-3/4" type and those have a mix of flat and forged reimnforecments.

Pluck
Thanks for checking Pluck. It is good to know some design 2 front fenders used the forged reinforcement. I checked https://aafords.com/aa-chassis/aa-16000-fenders/#s1ff and see it is lacking in usage dates for these two reinforcements.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:58 AM   #10
Neil Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
Neil, I know about that,..but I don't think it's in the JS.
I brought it up and got shot down..
djm
The 7" and 5-3/4" frame-flange designs was pointed out to me by Fred Gooding (now departed) many years ago. I have a few sets of these (some d1 and some d2).

I should have tried to include this in the AA Fords supplement when working on that in 2015. But, this was not unique to the AA and I hoped it would be included in the last revision in Area 13. The photo on page 13-6 shows the d2 5-3/4" and the d3 3-1/8" frame-flanges.

Changing the RGJS is close to impossible. With photos, the standards community might take a second look.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:41 PM   #11
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
The 7" and 5-3/4" frame-flange designs was pointed out to me by Fred Gooding (now departed) many years ago. I have a few sets of these (some d1 and some d2).

I should have tried to include this in the AA Fords supplement when working on that in 2015. But, this was not unique to the AA and I hoped it would be included in the last revision in Area 13. The photo on page 13-6 shows the d2 5-3/4" and the d3 3-1/8" frame-flanges.

Changing the RGJS is close to impossible. With photos, the standards community might take a second look.
Neil,

I knew nothing of the 5-3/4" d2 front fender till your post and I have about 4 including 4 of the 7" ones. Yes, it is really to bad that it was not pointed out in the Standards as I think it is significant to those wanting to restore their car correctly.

I have not yet proven this fact but I wonder when the FLAT reinforcement bracket went to the forged reinforcement bracket on the inside of the fender to attach the Fender bracket to in April 1928,...I wonder if that was when Ford went from the 7" d1 Fender to the 5-3/4" d2 fender? This would also be in relation the change from Front Fender bracket #1 to Front Fender Bracket #2 at the same time.

It is interesting to see the damage that the shock arms did to these early fenders with the raised bump. I have both types, d1 and d2 type fenders, with the damage so unique that it is in the same spot on both fenders.

No wonder Ford went to the d3 fender just to really stop that problem.

The d2 fender must have been short lived....But I see that you indicate it went from May thru December 1928.

I just can not figure out just when the d2 went to the d3 type fender...Must of been January 1929?

Pluck