Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #21
john in illinois

Default Re: overdrive transmissions

Carl,Glad you heard from him,I always thought he was a nice guy to deal with.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #22
kenparker

All the information in the above post is correct. Here is a little bit more in - or info put another way.

Of the 4 ratios available the .71 OD ratio equals 38-39%. That is a huge strain on most Model A motors.
The .72 OD ratio equals approx 37%. Still a big strain on Model A Motors unless you have a beefed up HP wise motor.
The .78 OD equals 27%. Almost perfect for most of out A's.
The .79 OD equals 25-26% and also is a great match to the A. But it is the most difficlult ratio to find. In fact in 13 years of building these kits I have never seen one. I believe it was Al that posted a chart that showed which transmission was fitted behind which Ford motor.

Someone ask about using the Cast Iron Case Top Shifter. It can be made to fit but is VERY HEAVY and larger. It was designed for the heavier duty trucks, as in the F250.

Another ? was can the earlier version be used. By that I think he meant the 1977 thru 1983 version of the 170 RTs. It is called the 170 RUG and the shifting stick is mounted on the tailhousing- 4" further back and 1 1/2" to the left. It is also refered to as the Single Rail Shifter. It can be fitted to the Model A and I have done two of these. One in is my Speedster. Since the tail housing must be left on the transmission the Drive Shaft must be converted to Open Drive Line.-No big Deal.

Now to explain my %'s. The Output shaft on a 27% OD ( .78) turns 27% faster than the Input shaft.

for the record I have two 27% kits and one 37% kit on the shelf - partially finished.
But , I do not ship any longer - pick up at shop only. After these three are gone I will get out of the business. The trannys are getting too hard to find. Especially the 27% ones.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #23
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
Carl,Glad you heard from him,I always thought he was a nice guy to deal with.

John
Well -- if you note the date on that post, it was almost a year ago. And yes, Dave WAS a nice guy to deal with. I have his Alternator and Weber Carb kits. Then right after that last post, I sent him money for the OD tranny. Last I heard from him was probably in March of this year when he said that he was shipping the tranny "next week". Too much to go into here, but bottom line is -- he's gone! And my expectation of ever seeing a transmission or my money back from him are slim to none.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #24
john in illinois

I did not notice the post date. I was hoping that you got the product or the money back. I in no way condone Dave's actions.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:32 AM   #25
happiathome

Hello, I'm the new kid here to the Model As. Just bought an early 28 and I'm wondering about an overdrive unit to install. I' m already tired of the 45-50 mph vibration. If anyone has any ideas I wouldn't mind some info. I have an early 28 Sport Coupe with a multidisc clutch. I'm here in Wisconsin so my car is asleep for the winter.
happiathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:15 AM   #26
old31

You have 3 or 4 OD options open to you. Do a search on overdrive and that will keep you busy for a while.

It all depends on how much you want to spend, how much work you want to do, how many changes you want to make to the car, the kind of changes you want to make to the car.

While your at it consider a sychro trans.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote