Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Brentwood Bob

Default loosing water.

The huckster I'm working on has a new radiator, and a new leakless water pump. I took it out for a few miles last night and topped the radiator before I left. checked it today and water is at the top of the tubes. The overflow tube is up into the center of the radiator. The baffle is down some, and I can see the tubes in the center of the radiator, directly under the filler.
I'm hopeful the problem is not a cracked block, or even a loose head gasket. I replaced the plugs and all were sooted up. Oil was dark, but no evidence of water in the crank case. New oil looks good so far.
I'm wondering if the impeller is kicking the water out the overflow. I'll look at that tomorrow. Is grinding down the impeller a solution to consider?
Thanks for any thoughts. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
MAG

Default Re: loosing water.

I'm suspicious of the baffle. I have seen some baffles that were built so that you could see the tubes in the center like yours. But they had a "wall" in front of the radiator input neck that blocked the water from getting into the overflow tube area. I have also had to remove stock from new water pumps to prevent water from being pushed out.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
Model T Monte

Could it possibly have had an air bubble trapped ? Monte
Model T Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
Brentwood Bob

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Monte: Not sure there is any bubble, although it sat for a year with antifreeze in the block, and when I drained at the lower tube I had to start it with a piece of wire, the rust had bridged at the pet cock. I think I will end up back flushing the radiator. Doesn't do these model a's any good to just park them for more than a few months.
MAG: I don't think the replacement radiator is that great. Tomorrow I'm going to run the motor until it warms up in the carport and keep an eye down the radiator to see what happens. Its real possible the baffle is not doing the job.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote