Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2018, 10:06 PM   #21
miker98038

Default Re: 56 throttle linkage

Had pretty much the same Eddy on my bird. There’s a bushing/fitting to move the attachment to the big hole in the top. That carbs on my buddy’s Nomad now, I’ll see if he can send a picture.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:42 AM   #22
miker98038

Here’s a picture of the hookup on my bird, but I don’t know if it’ll blow up enough to show the detail. My memory was wrong, it wasn’t the big hole on top. But it follows what dmsfrr mentioned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58419708-63C8-427A-B503-7EB0A47DFCBA.jpg (66.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 04-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #23
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
Here’s a picture of the hookup on my bird, but I don’t know if it’ll blow up enough to show the detail. My memory was wrong, it wasn’t the big hole on top. But it follows what dmsfrr mentioned.

I noticed you have a later Holley carb on your '56 T-bird, but still appears to have the dual diaphragm Loadomatic style distributor. How did you make it work with the vacuum signal from the carb being too much and having excessive spark advance when cruising at steady state ?

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:38 PM   #24
miker98038

I had a problem posting the picture, and the third time around I posted the wrong one. I meant to post the photo of the old setup with the Eddy carb for Mercman.

That’s a Boss EFI throttle body, hooked to an Accel gen 7 computer. The fuel and ignition curves are run by the computer, the dizzy has a Dura spark module to send the proper signal to the computer, and it’s locked out. I kept it for the tach drive. How it ended up with the 56 dual diaphragm instead of the original 55 is forgotten. One of these days I’ll get around to pulling that unit and build a block off plate just to make it more confusing.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:19 PM   #25
scicala

OK, gotcha. That's a pretty slick set up.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #26
miker98038

Thanks, Sal. It’s amazing how many people tell me it won’t work, some even argue it not a throttle body.

Mercman, I think this is along the lines of what you need, maybe not the right one, but close. I also sent another pm, but I know we’ve got a big time difference. Goes in the big upper hole and let’s you mount a variety of 1/4” studs, whatever you need.

https://www.luttyschevy.com/i-208317...shing-kit.html
Old 04-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #27
mercman from oz

The above picture and comments were received from miker98038:-
Here's the 1406 on the sbc in the 56 Nomad. I posted a link on the site of the rubber grommet and nylon bushing GM used to reduce the hole from 1/2" to 1/4" On my Camaro, the rod had a bend with a cotter pin, washer, thru the grommet, washer, cotter pin. It had the threaded adjustment on the firewall end of the rod.
This also provides some vibration isolation thru the linkage. Must be something here to help you out.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:34 PM   #28
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 56 throttle linkage

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post

That’s a Boss EFI throttle body, hooked to an Accel gen 7 computer. The fuel and ignition curves are run by the computer, the dizzy has a Dura spark module to send the proper signal to the computer, and it’s locked out. I kept it for the tach drive. How it ended up with the 56 dual diaphragm instead of the original 55 is forgotten. One of these days I’ll get around to pulling that unit and build a block off plate just to make it more confusing.
So the TB has the injectors in the body? That would be ID'd as TBI (THROTTLE BODY INJ). MPFI (Multi-Port) would have separate injectors at the intake runners. So you are correct and can give them this argument (but I am sure you know this all ready).

IMO only...

I would find the correct vacuum advance canister for the 55 LOM to add more fuel to their confusion...

OH! The EDEL carb shown has the throttle lever for a GM/CHRY. You can either install a FORD dedicated shaft and lever or there are aftermarket solutions. The kit you showed will work (again IMO).

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:17 AM   #29
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post
Can anyone advise me what kind of linkage I should use to achieve the required results?

Where do I begin???
You see those two offset bolts on the back of your intake manifold there (one of them is being used by the chassis ground wire. Okay, that wire does not go there, there is another bolt down by the temperature sending unit where that wire should terminate.
Now back to those two bolt holes in the back corner of the intake. You are missing the bellcrank bracket that was originally connected to the bellcrank on the firewall and the two of them were interconnected by a rigid, adjustable carburetor link.
If I am not mistaken, that missing part was used on '55/56 V8's with 4bbl carb only, but in 57/58/59 I believe it was used on all V8 intake manifolds regardless of 2bbl or 4bbl.
Sorry I don't have picture as I only deal with '55-2bbl's which used a different part. BUT, if you can get a shop illustration out of a shop manual, then you should be able to go on epay and find some for sale on there.
Once you get that part, then there is major adjustments to do to get everything to work right beginning at your gas pedal height off the floor, then up to the carb link adjustment between the bellcranks and selecting the proper length rod pulling the throttle lever on the carb.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:05 AM   #30
mercman from oz

Daves55Sedan, I have these two similar but different brackets in my collection of parts. Photos show both the top and bottom of them. Is this what you are referring to? While the actual brackets are the same, the moving parts are different? Which one would be correct for my rebuilt 312 Y Block?
Old 04-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #31
54vicky

[this is a pull not a push as you need.note the return springsQUOTE=mercman from oz;1621773]
The above picture and comments were received from miker98038:-
Here's the 1406 on the sbc in the 56 Nomad. I posted a link on the site of the rubber grommet and nylon bushing GM used to reduce the hole from 1/2" to 1/4" On my Camaro, the rod had a bend with a cotter pin, washer, thru the grommet, washer, cotter pin. It had the threaded adjustment on the firewall end of the rod.
This also provides some vibration isolation thru the linkage. Must be something here to help you out.[/QUOTE]
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:13 AM   #32
54vicky

without being there it is hard to explain what you need to change it to push you need to improvise on linkage from firewall to carb.these are a couple of pics of needed parts from speedway but I am sure you can find similar parts from racing parts place locally you need one or the other using the top hole{large one}

Last edited by 54vicky; 04-25-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #33
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: 56 throttle linkage

...whew ...

This is getting overly complicated.

mercman-

Is the 56 MERC originally AT or ST? You are going now with what style trans?

Adding to the complication(s) is the fact(s) that the MERC may be different in design from the FORD (MERC did use both the H4000 and WCFB in 1956). Add to that the addition of a 57 B intake and an aftermarket carb, it will be even more difficult to re-assemble correctly (IMO). If parts were readily available, it would be much easier to gather them.

In a situation such as this, one needs the correct MPC (MERC) and ENGINE ASSEMBLY MANUAL.

R U trying to keep the car original or would you consider a throttle cable?

There is a seller now on EvilBay that is offering what he describes as a full 56 MERC assembly take-off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Accel Cable- 57 BIRD.jpg (66.3 KB, 6 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 04-25-2018, 03:07 PM   #34
54vicky

a cable will entail a few more modifications then you think.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:10 PM   #35
KULTULZ

Post Re: 56 throttle linkage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54vicky View Post

a cable will entail a few more modifications then you think.
The OP is in AU. Parts are difficult to come across down there.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 04-25-2018, 11:16 PM   #36
mercman from oz

The car was imported from California back in 1988 and is still Left Hand Drive. It has an Automatic Transmission. My engine builder had to modify the holes so as to fit the original 4 barrel intake manifold, as I am not running the original teapot carburetor. We chose an Edelbrock Weber Carb, as it was available and economical. Also, the Distributor is a modified 302 Windsor Dist. As you can see, the car is not going to be 100% original, so we just need a solution to hook up the Carb with the accelerator. My son-in-law is coming over next week. He is a Mechanic and very cluey. I have been sending him the various suggestions that have been posted on this Thread. With all this help, I believe that we will be fine. Will keep you posted.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:51 PM   #37
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Which one would be correct for my rebuilt 312 Y Block?

Yes, those are the ones that will bolt up to those two bolt-holes I mentioned, but as to which one specifically will depend upon the carburetor you are using. It is possible some modifications to the linkage/connections can be made to the bell-crank to make it work. As long as the action at the carb is intended to pull the accelerator lever back, this is what you need along with keeping the firewall bellcrank and adding interconnecting linkage.

Last edited by Daves55Sedan; 04-26-2018 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:09 AM   #38
Daves55Sedan

So then, for Rich Largent, since you have a 312 with the original type teapot 4bbl carb, what you need is the intake manifold bellcrank as pictured in mercmans post on 4/25. Keep your original firewall bellcrank as is and add adjustable interconnecting linkage between firewall crank to intake crank and then a link from intake crank to carb.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:49 AM   #39
KULTULZ

Quote:

The car was imported from California back in 1988 and is still Left Hand Drive. It has an Automatic Transmission. My engine builder had to modify the holes so as to fit the original 4 barrel intake manifold, as I am not running the original teapot carburetor. We chose an Edelbrock Weber Carb, as it was available and economical. Also, the Distributor is a modified 302 Windsor Dist.

As you can see, the car is not going to be 100% original, so we just need a solution to hook up the Carb with the accelerator. My son-in-law is coming over next week. He is a Mechanic and very cluey. I have been sending him the various suggestions that have been posted on this Thread. With all this help, I believe that we will be fine. Will keep you posted.
Check this link out- https://www.ebay.com/i/362199402284?chn=ps

The seller may have the correct answer(s).

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 04-26-2018, 08:35 AM   #40
KULTULZ

Post Re: 56 throttle linkage

- 1956 MERCURY 312 AT THROTTLE LINKAGE -

Shown is a 56 312 with an ECZ-B intake and HOLLEY so the hookup should be as the same or near the same as what you now have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 MERC 312 _3 - w ECZ-B & HOLLEY _1.jpg (54.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 1956 MERC 312 _3 - w ECZ-B & HOLLEY _2.jpg (12.2 KB, 75 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 04-26-2018 at 08:40 AM.