Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2018, 07:36 PM   #21
richard crow

Default Re: Fake buyers? here?

never count money you cant fold . that said just put a want add on ham or ford barn you wont bleve the crooks that answer
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:29 AM   #22
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Castle View Post
or, sometimes the seller is the bad actor. U request pics, for instance, on a supposedly pristine item, the pics arrive 2 weeks later & the item is junk, why get back to the seller ?
You are correct, I just rememberered this. There was actually a fake seller posting for sale ads here because he was apparently unhappy with another member. He would post an ad for the identical item another member had just posted, but at some rediculusly low ball price. The next day he would post a reply to his ad claiming the item had been sold.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:31 AM   #23
bobfrev

Why would you call them a fake buyer? just because they didn't buy your item? I have buy ads up from time to time in the wanted section looking for something. Sometimes no one responds and other times i will get 15-20 responses within 2-3 days. I will be corresponding with a few people trying to get pictures and shipping prices and that takes a few days. Sometimes a price for the part is good and i will say, " please let me know a shipping price based on my zip enclosed" and waiting again. Then in the mean time someone else responds maybe local or closer and its less expensive . Not having committed to anyone yet i buy the part from someone else. I try the best i can to respond to everyone to let them know, " Thanks for answering my wanted ad but i have found the part already " but sometimes i miss someone or there are so many responses i don't get back to all. Just because someone responds that they have something for sale and i am interested while responding to 6 other responding Fordbarner's doesn't mean i am going to buy the part and just because i don't buy the part from them doesn't make me a " FAKE BUYER" > like i said i try to respond to everyone that answers my ad's as a courtesy but sometimes miss someone. Not fake buyers but just a lot of Fordbarners that are always trying to help with parts and advice which is why we are all here and sometimes those responses get overwhelming while I for one will never complain about, Because that's what the hobby is all about.
bobfrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #24
jimTN

Pictures and a price! Lots of sellers do not post a price in hope of getting a better price after talking to a prospective buyer. Sort of like the high "buy it now" with the "make an offer" on ebay. They know the BIN price is out of reason and hope to snare someone. If you have something to sell, lay it on the line.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #25
TJ

It all comes down to common courtesy. If a potential buyer wants photos , shipping price, or other info and the seller responds back with the requested info. the potential buyer should at least respond back if they are still interested or not. With modern technology how hard is it to send a PM or e-mail saying "no longer interested". Many times you have others interested in the item, so how long do you have to wait for the first person to respond back before you move on to the second person? a day, two days, a week? Again it all comes down to old fashion common courtesy to respond to the seller or buyer.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #26
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
One way to avoid a lot of this and sift out the non-responders from the get-go would be to post pictures with your ads when you first post them. The old adage is true - "A picture is worth a thousand words". It only takes a little more effort when you first post the ad to include a few photos and people can see what is for sale. If they aren't interested they will generally move along and won't go to the effort of wasting your time.

My 2 cents.
I once mentioned making this a requirement here on any for sale ads posted, and you would not believe the whining, and crying responses I got on that suggestion, from folks who said they could not post pictures, and did not care to even try learning. I kid you not, but won't mention names, and some are still active members posting here

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 05-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #27
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
Pictures and a price! Lots of sellers do not post a price in hope of getting a better price after talking to a prospective buyer. Sort of like the high "buy it now" with the "make an offer" on ebay. They know the BIN price is out of reason and hope to snare someone. If you have something to sell, lay it on the line.
One of Ryan's rules for posting for sale ads here is the ad must state a price. If no price is posted, report the ad and it will most likely be deleted.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #28
TJ

JM, you are 100% correct about listing the price and, if available, the price for shipping. I don't post photos immediately as some people request specific views of an item, so I send all photos via e-mail and give them the views they need. It also minimizes the chances of your photos from being stolen off this site and being used somewhere else by some scam artist on places like Craigslist.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #29
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
JM, you are 100% correct about listing the price and, if available, the price for shipping. I don't post photos immediately as some people request specific views of an item, so I send all photos via e-mail and give them the views they need. It also minimizes the chances of your photos from being stolen off this site and being used somewhere else by some scam artist on places like Craigslist.
Tom, that's a good point about pictures being dounloaded by folks who are not even interested in the item for sale. I see my pictures posted here being used by others all the time. In most cases I don't mind, but sometimes I feel these are my personal pictures being used with no credit given to me whatsoever, as if they belonged to those who are posting them.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #30
TomT/Williamsburg

Describe, post pics - after that, hope for the best but prepare for the worst! Carlisle is p the same way - guy looks at your part, negotiate a price then they say I'll think about it. If and when they come back they will never get it at that price again. It will always be higher. If they really bust my chops I'll put the part in my truck and say it's not for sale. Should they come back again I'll tell them I sold it for LESS than our negotiated price. Man they get upset - but, you snooze, you lose ... I am not a car salesman - I own the part and the right to do with them as I please ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:26 AM   #31
dwick01

Some sellers on here do the same thing. They may sell an item unaware to a potential buyer. The potential buyer asks questions about the part and never gets a single response from the seller because he already sold the part. All the seller had to say was he sold the part, but chooses to leave the person hanging. Had this happen to me. Very rude, JMHO.
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote