Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2017, 11:06 PM   #1
prsvf1

Default 1940 Ford Column Shift Transmission

I have rebuilt column shift transmission that I put in my 1940 Ford Tudor. I pulled the rear axle to remove the trans - major pia. Anyway, in my haste of putting the rebuilt trans back in the car, I knocked the 2nd & 3rd lever in to gear turned the ujoint to line up the input shaft so that it would slip in to the clutch. Bolted up the trans to the bellhousing adapper, trans mounts, etc. Next step was to put the rear axle in & I couldn't spin the u joint to align it w/the rear axle splines. Well the u joint wouldn't turn, checked the levers & couldn't move them. I removed the side cover & I could manually slide the 1st gear back to neutral,but I can't slide the 2nd/3rd to neutral. I've removed the trans from the car to examine & sure the top & bottom gears are meshed & can only turn the input shaft just a little bit each way. Iam at a crossroads as I do not know how to fix this issue & how to be sure it will work properly when it is back in the car. Again as many of you know this is a major pia to change.
prsvf1 is offline   Reply With Quote