Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #101
burner31

Default Re: Not much demand for Model As at any price or is it antique cars in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
You see it in Hemmings and other markets all the time:

"Have over $80,000 in receipts, Just finished it. $45,000 or make offer."

I just don't understand how these street rod guys spend all that time and money to build a street rod and then sell it just a few months after completing the project. They need the money for next street rod build. The cycle continues.
Easy to explain..."It's a mental disorder"
You don't have to take an original car and "hack n hue", "chop n channel" it to make a rod, you can do the same thing with fiberglass and it looks just the same.

But there is help...For just $19.95 a month you can help these poor souls overcome this debilitating condition.

So please give generously to the:

"Right the Rodder's Back to Reality Campaign"
Together...We can find a cure
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stairs-1.jpg (116.6 KB, 66 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:10 PM   #102
FrankWest

Default Re: Not much demand for Model As at any price or is it antique cars in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
My opinion of your firearm analogy may be flawed. Put a firearm out in a cold, damp garage or barn and see how it deteriorates. On the flip side, put a Model-A inside your clean, climate-controlled house and see how well it does!

With regard to Model-Ts, ...their demand is likely just as strong, -if not stronger than the As are. There are 3 major contributing factors for the steady interest level. 1st, the pricing level is of such where they are affordable for any pocketbook. Generally speaking, the older the year model, the more $$ they fetch. For example, where a '27 Touring may be worth $7.5k, an '09 Touring is worth $50k. This allows an enthusiast to easily find one in their price range.
2nd, most Model-T owners are less 'picky' about how authentic their car is, -and more forgiving of their fellow T-owners unauthentic car. Many (i.e.: most) Model-A restorers are quick to "judge" another Model-A to see what is correct and what is not. 3rd, the Model-T clubs have done a great job of promoting touring with the family, and as such, it is easier to get a younger family involved in the hobby. As such, you often see 2 and sometimes 3 generations all on a Model-T tour together.
Nobody stores a classic firearm in a garage or attic for that matter.
What I was stating was that a car, any car is a large complicated machine that needs lots of car..It is unlike a classic firearm which you can oil and hang on your mantel.

Last edited by FrankWest; 12-23-2015 at 05:03 PM.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #103
Vonn Ditch

Restored Model A's or T's no longer hold any interest for me. I wouldn't build one or buy one at any price. What does excite me these days are original survivor cars and traditional model a hot rods either from the period or built to mirror the early hot rod days. So from my perspective I see much less interest in restoration.
Vonn Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:56 PM   #104
jim galli

Fun to read through most of these thoughts. First of all, there were about a billion '29 roadsters made. They're just a notch above tudor sedans on the trip the needle desire scale. I'm on my fifth. Absolutely love them, but they are what they are. So there's that.

Second, a phenomenon we saw 20 years ago and continue to see; We were post-war Lionel collector-operators at that time, and the internet did a number on the prices of that stuff. Who knew there were so many Lionel outfits!! I think it's had a big affect on Model A's also. First of all, there's so many other pretty things to look at that can do 60 all day long and not self destruct, and second of all, my goodness, there's a LOT of Model A's.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com
jim galli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #105
CarlG

Model A was my first car. Probably be my last as well!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:11 AM   #106
My1930ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene R View Post
This brings up something else I've noted over the years. Aside from today's cars having much more acceleration and speed than those of the 70s, when I was driving my A on the freeway, we are also dealing with a vastly increased number of drivers who are distracted and not watching what they're doing. A lot of people are overconfident with the safety of their high-tech new cars and take risks they might not have done 40 years ago.

The other thing about driving a distinctive antique car today is that I find myself running into two sorts of people. First are the ones who see any old car and become aggressive, making damn well sure that they won't get stuck behind some geezer in a slow jalopy. I've had some scary close calls with people passing dangerously and cutting me off to get around me. On the opposite extreme there are the people who absolutely love the car, to the point of not watching the road because they are staring so intently at my car. That's almost as scary as the first scenario. I'm glad (some) people appreciate old cars but it makes me nervous seeing the guy ahead of me intent on his rear-view mirror rather than his windshield.

That said, I am guilty of the same distraction whenever I see any cool antique car on the roads today. It's hard not to get excited by such a rare sighting.

How true this is, I remember back in the '70s, driving on the freeway I would frequently see cars of the late '50s traveling to shows and events. Beautiful sights they were, the magnificent Forward Look Mopars, Cadillacs, Continentals, etc. Nowadays it is extremely rare to see one of these cars on the road, or at a car show period for that matter.
My1930ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:25 AM   #107
ronn

"Fun to read through most of these thoughts. First of all, there were about a billion '29 roadsters made."

think Pluck would disagree on that number.........

now talking about cheeseburgers sold through ronald.....................that's another story!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #108
slackcat

As to the spirit of the thread, demand is relative to price(or vise versa) and both are subject to disposable income. To a certain degree.

I need a grant to study how the value of a Model A is a reflection of the overall economy.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #109
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackcat View Post
As to the spirit of the thread, demand is relative to price(or vise versa) and both are subject to disposable income. To a certain degree.

I need a grant to study how the value of a Model A is a reflection of the overall economy.
That may sound nutty, but I would not be surprised if Uncle Sammy threw a few hundred thousand into a valuable study like that.
If you do get the grant give me a call, I would love to do my internship in that field of study.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:58 AM   #110
mike657894

my model a was given to me but not the first car/truck offered to me from a relative. i passed on a 59 edsel ranger and a 48 jeep body on a 64 chassis. I took on the model A because of parts availability and cheap cost. I also so love the look of a car with running boards. but dont know if i would have taken on a buick or packard. knowing that parts are probably hard to find and expensive. when someone hands you an old neglected car that needs a little bit of everything it will cost a lot of money and time.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #111
BILL WILLIAMSON

We tend to become like the "RUFFIANS" we hang with---Hang around with A Model Guys & shortly, YOU OWN ONE!
Bill W.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #112
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Model A was my first car. Probably be my last as well!

Same here .....
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:15 PM   #113
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackcat View Post

Good thoughts. Today's paper's article by Malcolm Berko the Financial Advisor mirrors what's being said here. He states though, that for every 'Economist' and their predictions there is an 'Anti-Economist' that will argue the opposite. Very true. But he did say again that the U.S. economy is poised for a Recession in the next 12 months, and he explains 'why' very well. But it always bounces back eventually so no need to fret and wring your hands.

He DID state that the REAL number of unemployed folks between the ages of 18-35 are actually 37% not the 5% we are constantly lied to about. That would have an affect on collector car values! It was something like 28% during the Great Depression but today politicians and the press play magician with the truth so that we don't panic. They lie to us (surprise huh

So, I guess the thing to do is bank your cash and wait because if you want to snag a good deal on (fill in the blank what car you like) it's right around the corner! bad for the seller.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #114
Terry, NJ

I submit it to all, that there are MORE model A s (and T s) around now than there were 20 years ago. The source of this is the barns of America. I would estimate approximately 100 a year are released from hiding, unseen and unknown about for maybe 60 years. Then suddenly they're back. If I'm correct with my estimate, that would be another 2000 cars in existence. So that's 2000 more cars to be restored and swallowed up in a market that some believe is diminishing. Think about it! Prices are rising!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:21 AM   #115
Colin Farquhar

Not wishing to start a fire, but I, for one, would welcome prices continuing to fall on Model A's. With a young family and a number of volunteer hobbies/causes I'm involved with (no extra time for a second job), spending $10-15k on a Model A certainly isn't in the cards right now. Buying a parts-pile for $500 could happen, but that turns into a time issue (pretty busy looking after lots of other rusty metal). Granted-these are all my own problems, of my own causing.

While I will certainly agree that a number of people my age (I'm 32) would have next-to-no interest in an 85 year old car or truck, there are a few of us around who are still into rusty old metal That said, I can't help but feel that many people of my generation are in a similar situation, even if we do have a decent job. Cost of living (housing, student loans, food, etc) keeps going up all the time...

Some random thoughts.
Colin Farquhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:01 AM   #116
Steve_Mack_CT

That is understandable, Colin; although I do think pretty good deals are already available to one with patience willing to turn some stones over. I also think with your generation physical location is another factor, a lot of younger people are interested in urban life, and even those who may not be it seems are buying real estate a little later on. This alone is a big factor in terms of getting into the hobby.

We are in a semi-rural place now and recently toyed with getting a little more in town. One of the main reasons it won't be happening is the desire/need to park 5 cars which in some areas is just not practical. There are other considerations besides the initial cost of a car that adds expense to this hobby I think a lot of times gets glossed over - ample proper storage is a big one in addition to ongoing maintenance costs, etc. I think, like horses, it is a little easier to be in this hobby in a more rural location. Not that city folks cannot participate, but just one of those things. I used to keep my TR-6 across town at grandmas when we got our first house, it had no garage, but not everyone has an option like that and self storage can be pretty expensive.

BTW, I suspect you already know this but what matters, Colin, is what interests you, not what the other 95% of those under say 40 are doing, I believe, from my interactions with Model A, T, Full Classic and sports car people that plenty of younger people have an interest. May not be most, but does it really matter as long as you have comeraderie of others regardless of age group? That market, whatever it turns out to be will determine long term values.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:12 PM   #117
29er

Somebody from our local club sent me this link which I thought germane to the current thread. Some of you may be familiar with this dealership, but it was news to me. As many of you suggest, the not-so-antique cars seem popular, but imagine the A's that could be purchased for these prices:

http://www.rkmotorscharlotte.com/sal...ory/active#21/

Mike
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:29 PM   #118
bikejunk

Smile Re: Not much demand for Model As at any price or is it antique cars in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Good thoughts. Today's paper's article by Malcolm Berko the Financial Advisor mirrors what's being said here. He states though, that for every 'Economist' and their predictions there is an 'Anti-Economist' that will argue the opposite. Very true. But he did say again that the U.S. economy is poised for a Recession in the next 12 months, and he explains 'why' very well. But it always bounces back eventually so no need to fret and wring your hands.

He DID state that the REAL number of unemployed folks between the ages of 18-35 are actually 37% not the 5% we are constantly lied to about. That would have an affect on collector car values! It was something like 28% during the Great Depression but today politicians and the press play magician with the truth so that we don't panic. They lie to us (surprise huh

So, I guess the thing to do is bank your cash and wait because if you want to snag a good deal on (fill in the blank what car you like) it's right around the corner! bad for the seller.
Where I work kids between the ages 18 - 35 all have jobs but none of them work
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote