Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #1
Ron Pilger

Default 1937 speedo gear failure/replacement

when replacing the speedo drive gear on my 37 Ford, it seems to me that it likely failed due to lack of lubrication. I use JD corn head grease in the U-joint. Why would the gear not be getting adequate lube? When installing the replacement gear, how much grease should be applied? Thx.
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:26 AM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: 1937 speedo gear failure/replacement

Are you referring to the speedometer drive gear that fits into the front driveshaft splines or the driven gear that mounts in what's sometimes called the turtle? Both of those speedometer gears should be getting lubrication from the grease in the universal housing/clamshell housing unless there is not enough lube in there to do the proper lubrication. I've been using JDCH Grease in the universal joint housing of my '35 sedan for the last seven years, and it has been doing a fine job of lubricating that entire area, including the front driveshaft bearing and the speedometer gears.
On occasion, I've removed the turtle assembly from the torque tube and pumped grease directly into that torque tube opening, just to make sure those areas had plenty of lube.
Is it possible the wear/failure of your speedometer gear began due to poor lubrication prior to using JDCHG?
Another thought is, the front driveshaft lip seal may be defective, allowing the grease in the universal joint area to run back into the torque tube.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
Ron Pilger

I'm replacing the drive gear which is engineered into the "turtle". It's served me well for thirty years to perhaps it's just old age. I will add a scoop of JD grease into the opening. I assume more is much better than less, in this case. Thanks JM.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:28 AM   #4
ford38v8

Ron, Is the turtle geared as original, or has the gear itself been changed out to match the speed of a differential gear change? Count the teeth on the worn gear and compare to the number on the turtle back. If someone had changed the gear within the turtle, it's diameter would no longer mesh correctly with the drive gear on the driveshaft, and would wear out for that reason.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #5
Ron Pilger

Thanks, Alan: your excellent thought had crossed my mind. Both components are of stock original vintage.