Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #1
TJMack

Default Overheating cured by adding thermostat

This may be of value to someone else. I was having an issue with my 1929 sedan overheating. I was losing water but it wasn't obvious where it was going. After some investigation I found that it was going out the overflow tube in the radiator neck as I was driving. I found this by running the engine at a high idle and watching in the radiator neck. I could see it swirling around and going out the tube. It didn't do it at a normal idle speed.

I added a 160 degree thermostat to slow down the flow from the water pump and it worked like a charm. I realize my radiator may be partly plugged, but I don't really think it's too bad if it is. I didn't time it, but when I had both radiator hoses off I held my hand over the lower hole and filled the radiator then watched the water come out when I took my hand away. It gushed out and didn't appear to be restricted.

I bought the car in December and I don't know if the previous owner had the same issue or not. He hadn't driven it in years. I had one of the fan blades come off, so I replaced the water pump when I put the new fan on. Therefore I know the flow of the pump is right up to par.
TJMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #2
Dick Steinkamp

Default Re: Overheating cured by adding thermostat

Exactly the same problem and solution with my 1930. I believe the new pumps have TOO MUCH flow. Another solution might be to shave some off the WP impeller blades.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:47 PM   #3
Railcarmover
BANNED

putting an extension on the overflow tube helps,a piece of 1/4 " fuel line works.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:51 PM   #4
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
putting an extension on the overflow tube helps,a piece of 1/4 " fuel line works.
I did try that and the nail trick also. No joy.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:15 PM   #5
Railcarmover
BANNED

If your not going fine point the Riley steel crankshaft pulley does two jobs in one,it slows the water pump down 30% and being steel it wont crack and fly apart like the cast ones..

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/r...nkshaft-pulley
Old 03-01-2019, 12:35 AM   #6
ALJ

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Putting the thermostat close to the bottom of the radiator hose helps. Hold it in place with another hose clamp so it doesn't work its way to the top.
ALJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:25 AM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
Exactly the same problem and solution with my 1930. I believe the new pumps have TOO MUCH flow. Another solution might be to shave some off the WP impeller blades.
That has been discussed and debunked several times. I don't believe it for one second.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:56 AM   #8
1crosscut

Were you actually overheating?? Did you use any type of thermometer to check the temperature?
Sounds to me that you may have had your radiator very full and the water was being pushed out the overflow tube.
Many folks add water to the top only to have it pushed out the overflow tube.
As long as the tubes are covered with water you are fine.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

There are more than a few who have tried reducing flow and also using thermostats, and it has worked for them. Personally, logically for me, I do not understand why it would work. So many theories for and against. But to coin a phrase t"he proof is in the pudding" There must be something to this. I do not want to start another big discussion on the subject, has been thoroughly discussed on the Barn in the past resulting in very strong opinions on each side. I am just going to accept it as a mystery to me, and keep the knowledge of it for use in possible troubleshooting.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:00 AM   #10
mfarley

So, if you put in the alternative crankshaft pulley, that would affect charge rate also, correct?
mfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:01 AM   #11
eagle

This subject has been discussed many times. The takeaway is, a marginal cooling system can benefit from the restriction of the thermostat or cutting down impeller blades. However, the benefit is seen in reduced negative pressure in the engine block, making steam flashover less likely. The reduced flow though does create less turbulance, and turbulance is good for heat transfer. Much better solution is to get the cooling system up to snuff. Clean block and clean or replace radiator.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:08 AM   #12
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarley View Post
So, if you put in the alternative crankshaft pulley, that would affect charge rate also, correct?
Haven't ran the pulley with the original generator.Logic says it would,but George Riley found the pulley effective 80 some odd years ago,imagine they increased the charge rate to offset any issue.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:31 AM   #13
steve s

Another straw to grasp at is a larger-diameter fan pulley. Slows pump but not generator.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:39 PM   #14
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
This subject has been discussed many times. The takeaway is, a marginal cooling system can benefit from the restriction of the thermostat or cutting down impeller blades. However, the benefit is seen in reduced negative pressure in the engine block, making steam flashover less likely. The reduced flow though does create less turbulance, and turbulance is good for heat transfer. Much better solution is to get the cooling system up to snuff. Clean block and clean or replace radiator.
As you say, any improvement by reducing the vanes on the impellor is counter intuitive. I understand how reduced pressure inthe block will hasten boiling but has anybody measured the pressure inthe block? I think the Model A water pump would best be described as high volume, low pressure which would mean that the reduction of pressure in the block is minimal.
Also agree that reducing the vanes is a stop gap for a system that needs attention.
Radiators vary enormously in efficiency. I have a friend who had his radiator recored with a modern core (and therefor working at 100% efficiency). While we travelled together, both towing camper trailers in temps in the mid 30s (mid 90s F), my car was on the edge of boiling constantly. He had a piece of cardboard covering the lower 1/2 of his. Prior to this, he had overheating problems where ever he went even without the trailer. Sometimes ya just gotta bight the bullet.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:32 PM   #15
TJMack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
Were you actually overheating?? Did you use any type of thermometer to check the temperature?
Sounds to me that you may have had your radiator very full and the water was being pushed out the overflow tube.
Many folks add water to the top only to have it pushed out the overflow tube.
As long as the tubes are covered with water you are fine.

It was definitely overheating when I ran it long enough to pump the water out the overflow tube and below the core. As I said, I could see it swirling around and going out when I ran the engine at fast idle. With the thermostat in place it doesn't do that. The thermostat sure worked for me, but I'm also sure it's not a panacea for everyone's issues.
TJMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:17 PM   #16
WHN

Thermal Syphon with water pump assist. That is what you are dealing with.

As I have mentioned many times. Goggle, Rocky Mountain Model A Club Cooling System Presentation. It will tell you everything you need to know about this subject.

I think you need your radiator looked at, and maybe also you block cleaned.

Do yourself a favor, Goggle the presentation.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:25 PM   #17
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMack View Post
It was definitely overheating when I ran it long enough to pump the water out the overflow tube and below the core. As I said, I could see it swirling around and going out when I ran the engine at fast idle. With the thermostat in place it doesn't do that. The thermostat sure worked for me, but I'm also sure it's not a panacea for everyone's issues.
Your answer to overheating wasn’t really clear. Just because water is swirling and going out the overflow doesnt necessarily mean your overheating. Was the temperature 212° and was there steam?
My car pukes water to below the overflow (which can’t have any holes), and consistently only need a couple of cups more than 2 gallons. I don’t overheat.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:11 AM   #18
30 Closed Cab PU

Hi TJ,

If not already installed, install a coolant temperature gauge in the top coolant hose neck. Do not trust motometers. There is a possibility your issue will return as it gets into spring/summer temps. Keep an eye on the temp, repeated overheating is hard on the motor. You have a cooling system in unknown condition. A model A cooling system normally does not overheat if it is in tip top shape. This includes a motor/head with no rust/scale, and a good functioning radiator that is properly sized for the model A.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:51 PM   #19
Rons A

I was doing a little research on overheating and came across this post from four moths ago. I'd love to read the article:
"Cooling System Seminar by Andy Weideman, Feb 25, 2012, Rocky Mountain A’s http://www.rockymountainmodelaclub.org/Technical_Info/technical_info.html"
However their server is no longer active. Does anyone have a pdf of this or know where I can get it?
Thanks
Rons A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:04 AM   #20
alexiskai

Found it archived on the Wayback Machine.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160418...tion_Final.pdf
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote