Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2019, 02:28 AM   #1
stillwater

Thumbs up mocdern car refinishing products

I used to be an autobody guy back in the 1980s, before I learned that in my area it pays better to work in a factory. And much healthier...

However as I look in a paint supply store, I see the scene has changed. New type of paint systems, different recommendations of products, etc.

Hoping someone here can direct me to a good website, or maybe better yet, an excellent book for restoring our "A"s with modern paint systems, including sandpaper products and primers. I have a shop to do this in, but it's dated too.

I have my pickup cab on a rolling platform, and the roof off, and most of the replacement parts ready. Will use a Porta-Power to finish getting the twist out of the cab.

Just need info on the latest refinishing techniques & products...thanks

Last edited by stillwater; 08-21-2019 at 02:36 AM.
stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:08 AM   #2
chrs1961815

Default Re: mocdern car refinishing products

The same thing basically happened to me. I would recommend getting this book, it details the whole painting process at the factory and includes paint chips and how an A should be painted these days.
https://mafca.com/cart/index.php?productID=129

Since things have moved to the hardener system, everything has changed and is better in some ways. I will say if you have any old equipment like guns and old non laquer paint, buy new.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:37 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Personally I would start by going to your local paint supplier and find which paint lines he carries. I would try to use either PPG or Axalta brands. The tech data sheets these manufacturers have is much better advice than what you find on social media or forums IMHO. The issue is that you never know if the advice you are receiving is coming from someone experienced, -or from someone just blurting out something that seems believable to them.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:21 AM   #4
kenparker

Brent is right. Establih rapore with the paint dealer of your choice. My choice is my local (30 miles away) PPG dealer. He is knowlegable, experienced an helpful. Supplemental to the dealer is the website for the (in my case) PPG paints. Lots of good info.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:48 AM   #5
77Birdman

I am def. a novice in the car field, but I have had great success with painting and body work on my cars. In general, if you have experience painting then theres no need to go into that. I have only used the 'modern stuff' so I cant compare to the old. I have experience with both single stage and bc/cc. I learned from watching some dvd tutorials (as well as experience finishing furniture and cabinets), and talking with some people that knew things. BUT this is probably where you are already. I also have a very good mom n pop auto store that is also a paint dealer. They were a wealth of information regarding what products to use, what gun to buy, and how to prep. The technique is the hard part, the rest is just the sum of the parts. For putting down epoxy primer and sandable primer/sealer I use a cheap hvlp gun from HD or Lowes. They cost about $50 and the tip size is perfect. I can put down a pretty good finish with these, besides it will all mostly be sanded off. For the finish coats and clear coat I bought an Aiwata spray gun. It was about $350 or so but worth every penny. It is a professional gun made for the hobbyist.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
john in illinois

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Ken. And Brent have good advice. The paint store will tell you what products the pro shops use and have success with and will help you. The product. Data sheets will tell you how to prep the metal and how to use their paint. The data sheets is your number one source of information.

John