Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
vtwinsideways

Default Business coupe windows?

How hard is it to find replacement windows for a '28-'29 Business Coupe? Does anyone make them? What do they bring if I can find originals? They look kinda different and I was thinking of going this way with a project.
vtwinsideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Business coupe windows?

First and foremost from the purist standpoint...the 1928 Business Coupe did not have the oval quarter panel windows...just the 1929 model. However if you wish to put them in a 1928...well, it is your car but I think you need special brackets for the assembly.

Second, the other windows in the car one can find through your Model A Ford parts house...I think.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
Aerocraft

One of our local club members has a oval window '29 Business Coupe. This summer, we took the top off so that I could re sew two damaged seams at which time I removed both windows. The original windows are cut glass with beveled edges. One of the windows was a replacement cut from Plexiglas. They are mounted in frame which are very similar to the Roadster rear light frames. The frame assembly is "suspended" in the top material. I have not seen neither the glass nor the frames advertised in suppliers catalogs. On several occasions, I have seen the items advertised for under $200 a set. I suspect that they are so rare that one would have to pay whatever was asked. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
vtwinsideways

The ovals are what I was referring to. I didn't realize that the '28's didn't have them. Learn something new every day. The project is a '29 that got separated from it's quarter windows at some point.
vtwinsideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Motorace

I purchased a pair of beveled oval windows from a lady antiques dealer who said she'd bought them many years ago from a car dealer who figured he'd never sell them... but she didn't remember what kind of dealership it was.

I thought they might be for the 1929 Ford Model A Business Coupe side windows, but I've never confirmed what the dimensions are for those, so I'll give you the dimensions of mine in the hope someone can confirm if these are from the 1929 Fords or not.

Longest dimension of the Oval = 10-3/4"
Shortest dimension of the Oval = 5-5/8"
Width of the beveled edge = 1/2"

If anyone is interested, I'd like to get $100 for the pair. They've never been installed in a car and so are in great condition. You can contact me at (248) 437-5528.
Motorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
Steve Ciccalone

Real window frames are extremely hard to find. What never is mentioned are several hardware pieces in the top that are not the same as sport coupe. I've owned several of them, my favorite body style. The dimensions you've posted are not for a business coupe.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
Lycoming-8

Just for the record, 1929 Business coupes produced (or at least dated in Jan & Feb) also did not have the oval windows. They are essentially the same as the 1928's and are likely the same structurally as a '28 or '29 sport coupe. This is because the the 'bow' that is positioned right where the window would be, goes all the way down to the corner bracket. It is not truncated as in the oval window design.
Lycoming-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:51 PM   #8
Motorace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ciccalone View Post
The dimensions you've posted are not for a business coupe.
Thanks, Steve - Do you have the glass dimensions for the oval glass used in the 1929 Model A's that had oval glass side quarter windows?
Motorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:34 AM   #9
dave in australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ciccalone View Post
Real window frames are extremely hard to find. What never is mentioned are several hardware pieces in the top that are not the same as sport coupe.
Steve, they're even harder to find in Australia. No 29 buisness coupes were imported into Australia originally, which makes my two sets of windows and frames and roof hardware rare. They are also my favourite body style.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #10
Steve Ciccalone

Motorace, I'm away from my car right now. Will post later or maybe someone else can. You might check the archives. I remember the dimensions were posted several months ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0549.JPG (99.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0550.JPG (86.6 KB, 518 views)
Old 07-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft View Post
One of our local club members has a oval window '29 Business Coupe. This summer, we took the top off so that I could re sew two damaged seams at which time I removed both windows. The original windows are cut glass with beveled edges. One of the windows was a replacement cut from Plexiglas. They are mounted in frame which are very similar to the Roadster rear light frames. The frame assembly is "suspended" in the top material. I have not seen neither the glass nor the frames advertised in suppliers catalogs. On several occasions, I have seen the items advertised for under $200 a set. I suspect that they are so rare that one would have to pay whatever was asked. Gar Williams
Actually there were cardboard panels covered in the mock twist fabric originally, and a thin layer of padding between them and the outer fabric. These supported the windows quite solidly. If you look closely at Steve Ciccalone's second pic you can see the two small split rivets that pull the cardboard panel tightly against the curved support bracket.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorace View Post
I purchased a pair of beveled oval windows from a lady antiques dealer who said she'd bought them many years ago from a car dealer who figured he'd never sell them... but she didn't remember what kind of dealership it was.

I thought they might be for the 1929 Ford Model A Business Coupe side windows, but I've never confirmed what the dimensions are for those, so I'll give you the dimensions of mine in the hope someone can confirm if these are from the 1929 Fords or not.

Longest dimension of the Oval = 10-3/4"
Shortest dimension of the Oval = 5-5/8"
Width of the beveled edge = 1/2"

If anyone is interested, I'd like to get $100 for the pair. They've never been installed in a car and so are in great condition. You can contact me at (248) 437-5528.
Motorace, I think you are the one that called last night and left a message on my shop phone. The problem was that your number was garbled where it was unclear what you were saying however if I could have returned your call, the info you just received is what I was about to tell you. Every mass-merchandiser in the day sold 'Opera windows' it seems.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:46 AM   #13
grj

These are harder to find than the belt rail. Frame size: 14"H x 9"L x 3/4"W. Glass: 13" x 8" 40* Ellipse. I have only seen a few sets for sale in 30+ years. The special brackets are just as hard to find. If I can find the one stashed in the barn I will post a picture. Most of the ones you see for sale are too small. G
grj is offline   Reply With Quote