Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2020, 06:50 PM   #21
jb-ob

Default Re: Rear Motor Mount Rubber Issue

Chris,

I went thru this drill last Fall with rear cushions way to thick & poorly made.

Consider a bowling ball and the 'sneaker's' you wear daily.....both made from the same stuff except one is highly compressed & the other lightly. Which do you suspect will absorb vibration better ?

With the Snyder's cushions (and two talented friends) no issues installing the engine WITHOUT A FRAME SPREADER. Never needed it before, why now ???
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:43 PM   #22
JoeCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdonge View Post
CHRS1961815: In going back to your original mounts from the FAMs, did you double check that the originals are crack free? With my engine currently out for rebabbitting I was considering putting the originals back in with new rubber cushions. While the cushions were on order I took the grunge off the old mounts and bead blasted them in preparation for paint. The attached pics show the sort of cracks I then found on both sides of both mounts. Needless to say, I'm now putting in new FAMs!
I question if those "lines" are service failure cracks. I believe that that part is manufactured using a heavy fold and deep draw operation, from heavy gage sheet steel. What I see in these photos are metal fold and draw marks. Your thoughts?
For info, I understand that the Canadian cars used cast iron engine mount brackets.

Joe B
JoeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:44 PM   #23
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
Update - I attempted to install my new motor and it was way too tight to fit in between the two mounts. I guess the Brattons rubber is still too thick - I also guess I have to get some from Snyders.
Those you have can be installed. I used a bottle jack and a 2X4 as a frame speader. Lube the rubber with some silicone grease and you will be surprised how quick and easy it will all go together. With the mounts already installed just spread the frame a bit and grease the metal some.

Last edited by J Franklin; 04-26-2020 at 09:09 PM.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:00 AM   #24
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Snyders Rear motor mount rubber pads are slightly thinner AND slightly softer than those that Brattons sell. I tried Brattons at first and had to use a frame spreader...was not happy so I removed them and used Snyders...engine went in perfectly. It was just that little adjustment that made the difference and made the engine fit the way it was supposed to.

I have no idea if Snyders pads are made to specs or if Brattons pads are made to specs...But it sure would be interesting to find out someday but I do not have to worry about it any more.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:30 AM   #25
chrs1961815

I did try to use a piece of wood to pry it in their along with greasing the mounts to no avail. The gap just is not big enough.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:50 AM   #26
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Get the pads from Snyders and quit fighting it plus no greasy Kids stuff!...If they don't work for you then you have BIGGER problems with your frame.

Pluck
Old 04-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #27
macdonge

JoeCB: I had considered that possibility and initially hoped that was the case but, on close inspection, these are definitely cracks (predominantly through-wall). Mine are the drawn steel - not cast iron.
macdonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:48 PM   #28
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdonge View Post
JoeCB: these are definitely cracks (predominantly through-wall). Mine are the drawn steel - not cast iron.
They will be easier to weld than cast iron.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:06 PM   #29
chrs1961815

Question for everybody: if the engine is very tight against the mounts will that affect the vibration rather than having the correct thickness pads?
Old 04-27-2020, 09:24 PM   #30
dankurth

I was going to order some pads from Brattons tomorrow but after reading this I thought I'd try Snyders. I don't have their catalog so I tried their online catalog. Hardest thing I've ever seen to try to navigate, so I guess I'll take my chances with Brattons .
dankurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:48 PM   #31
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankurth View Post
I was going to order some pads from Brattons tomorrow but after reading this I thought I'd try Snyders. I don't have their catalog so I tried their online catalog. Hardest thing I've ever seen to try to navigate, so I guess I'll take my chances with Brattons .
Why don't you just call Snyder's and order them? The have a Toll Free number...888-262-5712.

Pluck
Old 04-28-2020, 06:56 AM   #32
dankurth

Thanks Pluck, that's what I'll do. Brattons is still my favorite, they've always been great to deal with.
dankurth is offline   Reply With Quote