Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2019, 07:31 AM   #1
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll
Default Model A crashed by distracted driver.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/21056/d...1-ford-model-a

What a shame. Damn Texting.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
Mike Peters

Default Re: Model A crashed by distracted driver.

Yeah, it happens. I've been lucky so far...
I would begin a re restoration of this coupe with a nice 30-31 rolling chassis with engine and steering column. Then salvage what body and fender sheet metal that isn't too extensively damaged, and purchase only what is needed in terms of fenders, etc. The body doesn't look too horrible.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
burner31

Hagerty Insurance here, with agreed value and uninsured motorist coverage, I won't leave the driveway without it.
But like that young man...I am going to drive my car.
Can we bring back public hanging for people who have no insurance, no license and no sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AP3608141879-630.jpg (152.7 KB, 164 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:14 PM   #4
woofa.express

I don't have insurance.
Can't people be responsible for themselves. I do insure my house because it is beyond my ability to replace it.

below is what I came back and wrote after reading of the damage and destruction. I apologize to burner31

I have just read of the '31 coupe being totalled by an irresponsible person and perhaps it was irresponsible of me to have made the above statement. Boy do I feel for the Coupe owner. gary.

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-08-2019 at 03:24 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #5
Synchro909

Woofa, the insurance/registration system in the US is so very different from ours that I don't think we are qualified to comment on it. I've driven thousands of miles over there (scary) and still don't know much about how it works. I leave that to others. I expect that there are parts of ours that are better than theirs and vice versa.
As for the distracted driver, she clearly knew she had done wrong - that's why she ran. All I can hope is that one or both have adequate insurance cover and that the female driver learns from this and tells her friends.
These cars don't fare well in a collision so insurance is a MUST HAVE, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #6
77Birdman

Typically, if there is a lien on the vehicle (a bank note) full coverage insurance is mandatory to pay the loss. If the vehicle is owned free and clear then a minimum of liability insurance to cover others is needed. Covering yourself in case of an accident is up to the owner. In order to get the car tagged proof of ins. is required. However if the insurance lapses then there is no coverage and whomever gets hit is SOL! Collector insurance is a different story.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
Typically, if there is a lien on the vehicle (a bank note) full coverage insurance is mandatory to pay the loss. If the vehicle is owned free and clear then a minimum of liability insurance to cover others is needed. Covering yourself in case of an accident is up to the owner. In order to get the car tagged proof of ins. is required. However if the insurance lapses then there is no coverage and whomever gets hit is SOL! Collector insurance is a different story.
Get the car tagged????
Old 01-08-2019, 05:10 PM   #8
Bruce of MN

That means to pay the annual registration fee. Many US states have a one-time fee for old cars.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:10 PM   #9
Jeff/Illinois

Actually this happened in May, 2018 it was on the news back then.

I'm sure it won't be the last, we will be seeing much more of this in the coming years.

https://www.motor1.com/news/243168/t...model-a-crash/
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #10
cederholm

Leaving my car parked scares me a lot more that driving it when it comes to accidents.

~ Carl
cederholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:59 PM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
I don't have insurance.
Can't people be responsible for themselves. I do insure my house because it is beyond my ability to replace it.

below is what I came back and wrote after reading of the damage and destruction. I apologize to burner31

I have just read of the '31 coupe being totalled by an irresponsible person and perhaps it was irresponsible of me to have made the above statement. Boy do I feel for the Coupe owner. gary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Woofa, the insurance/registration system in the US is so very different from ours that I don't think we are qualified to comment on it. I've driven thousands of miles over there (scary) and still don't know much about how it works. I leave that to others. I expect that there are parts of ours that are better than theirs and vice versa.
As for the distracted driver, she clearly knew she had done wrong - that's why she ran. All I can hope is that one or both have adequate insurance cover and that the female driver learns from this and tells her friends.
These cars don't fare well in a collision so insurance is a MUST HAVE, as far as I'm concerned.
I think I am with Woofa on this one. I carry a large amount of liability insurance since it is easy to exceed my budget with a major accident. I don't carry collision insurance knowing that my maximum I could loose is the value of the car.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:16 PM   #12
jm29henry

Unfortunately it’s only going to get worse!!! Especially in Michigan where they have legalized pot God help us all
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:15 PM   #13
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm29henry View Post
Unfortunately it’s only going to get worse!!! Especially in Michigan where they have legalized pot God help us all
I wonder if there is any data proving that one's driving is impaired after smoking dope. If there is and someone is hit by a dopey driver, would it be possible to sue the state?
Old 01-09-2019, 09:04 AM   #14
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I wonder if there is any data proving that one's driving is impaired after smoking dope. If there is and someone is hit by a dopey driver, would it be possible to sue the state?
No more so than a driver impaired by alcohol. Our laws for impaired driving do include other substance abuse than alcohol already though. Charges used to be 'DWI'-driving while intoxicated, If someone is high on something that is not alcohol they are charged with driving under the influence, or driving while impaired.
To clarify my previous post, getting a car "tagged" is the state issued license plate/registration. This is mandatory to operate on public roads.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:33 PM   #15
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
To clarify my previous post, getting a car "tagged" is the state issued license plate/registration. This is mandatory to operate on public roads.
It is mandatory here too for the owner/driver to have the car registered. Registration includes a fee to cover the insurance for any person injured on the road as a result of an accident whether they were in a car or not. There is no requirement to insure for property damage though I think Third Party Property insurance would be a good thing. The terminology "Tagged" leaves me puzzled. When we pay our registration, there is nothing put on the car to show that it is paid. We used to have a sticker on the windscreen but the government realised they could save a few $ by eliminating it.
Every police car is fitted with number plate reading scanners which check the details against data on an onboard computer in real time. The data in the mobile comupter is uploaded daily to allow for changes such as ownership transfers, drivers who have lost their license etc We do not have titles for cars either.It seems to me that the systems here and there are very different.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #16
77Birdman

Interesting, very different indeed. All of our states have at least one 'license plate' which is attached to the rear of the vehicle. In my state, Maryland, we are required to carry two. One on the front of the car as well. The back plate has the annual registration sticker attached and the plate will stay on for several years. Recently Pennsylvania did the same as you and did away with the annual renewal sticker (they still have the plate though). There was a lot of confusion in nearby states when cars were seen running with expired stickers!
We do have a state run insurance company that one can claim against if they are hit by an uninsured driver. This is somewhat of an oxymoron though because technically you are not allowed to have a car on the road without insurance. It happens when someone pays their premium, gets the tags, then either drops the insurance or gets cancelled.