Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2014, 02:13 AM   #1
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Helping out a young newbie model A owner later today

A local friend of mine neighbors son just acquired a 29 coupe. The family contacted me to help them out, apparently they went and purchased this car without external advice ( first mistake)after being driven in it a few times by the previous owner. Well needless to say they're in a bind now after having a family friend who knows nothing about these cars but is mechanically inclined pull the radiator to take it to a local shop to get repaired (( the rad shop does not have the ability to rod it just soak it and try to clean it ))after they thought it overheated. (Second mistake) For all I know they could have had the thing filled to the top. I told them to have they're friend put the car back together then contact me. Well now it won't even start so tomorrow I am going over to evaluate the entire situation. The boy is 17 years old and nobody in the family knows how to even drive the thing so I believe I have my work cut out for me. The bright side is that they live about a half mile from me so once we get things going and show Ethan the ropes he will be able to pal around with us and enjoy his car if he so desires. It's great to have such a young teenager interested in the hobby. Will post back my findings
Here is a pic they emailed me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (23.3 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 12-07-2014 at 02:26 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:16 AM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Helping out a young newbie model A owner later today

And another
I think this is their friend driving it before they pulled the radiator
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (25.6 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 12-07-2014 at 02:22 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:55 AM   #3
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

I'll have the coffee on Mitch................How do you like your eggs?????

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
Brother Hesekiel

Well, woke up at 1:00, then my wife's iPhone "binged" at 2:30 'cause she got a facebook message, and I had to get up at 3:30 anyway to head to the Pomona Swap Meet. So good morning, and have fun! Must have been a very spontaneous decision.

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
Binger

Good luck with helping a newbie. I have had several People call me with similar situations. Recently I have helped a gentleman with his '26 T sedan and another one with a '30 tudor. I always like helping folks that are new to the hobby.
Binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
700rpm

What people who don't know what they're doing can do is startling, and sometimes funny. An inexperienced newby brought his new A over because it wasn't running right, and he was pretty discouraged. His fuel line had two inline filters and some kind of home-made copper gas line. That was an obvious and easy fix. But the startling feature was a 32 distributor installed 180 degrees out. I admit I missed that because I know nothing from 32s, but another friend spotted it right away. Tried to make the 32 work but finally ended up putting a correct A distributor in. Car runs beautifully now, owner is happy again.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
mshmodela

Mitch,

Hat's off to you for giving this young fellow a helping hand. I somehow sense you'll get much more out of lending a hand than you expect. One day when this young man is old and I'm sure still driving a Model A in the 2nd half of this century, he'll remember your helping hand and with his first A.

Cheers!

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i just got back a little while ago from checking out the coupe.. Ethan is a real nice kid along with his great folks. first thng i did was looked in the fuel tank and it is clean as a whistle. the oil is also clean w no signs of water. i had no spark but did have power at both sides of the coil but nothing at the points with them open. even manually grounding the points i still had power to the ignition side of the coil so i knew it had a switch problem or circuit to the points arm issue. . . it has an original pop out that doesnt pop the key just turns on and off. playing with the key i was able to get a flicker on the amp meter thus also got power to the points at the same time.. by holding the key very steady she fired right up and actually sounded good. i recommended for them to have the AAA monkeys tow it to the
shop and i will donate my time to get it going and to also thoroughly go over it plus teach him how to drive it. Ethan will be off soon for break from college so it will be convenient for him to come down to the shop and learn. it sure beats screwing with it in a tight cold garage.. the pics do it some justice on the paint because it is real flat and rattle can like in person. even though i didnt drive it i guess they did alright paying 8k for it..
along with the switch problem the distributor has modern points and a mickey mouse plate wire so we'll go back to original style points along with the proper plate wire. my buddy bob came with also in his A so we drove both of our A's over to his house. afterwards we took him out for a ride around which he loved. since we live so close we came back to my place and i showed him lucy.
p.s this kid has a vintage sign collection in his basement like i have never seen. wall to wall signs unbelievable.

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 12-08-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

thanks guys but i am just doing the deed like anyone else on the barn would have

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 12-07-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #10
31 Model A

You do know Mitch, Reality Shows are a thing, just look at Pickers......I can see the "A Man Across America" coming on my TV screen. There is house builder shows, landscape shows, cooking shows......galore.

Just a thought.....Martha Stewart started someplace and look at her now!!!!! You could be the Martha Stewart of Model A's!!!!!

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 12-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #11
31 Model A

Anyone who wants to stop by my humble home and go over Sarah, I'd pay them in kind, Ribs, steaks, beer, wine and I could look up a few of my ex-wives.....they're rich, they have my money!!!!!

Old 12-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
1931 flamingo

Very nice of you Mitch. I knew when we met you were a good guy.
Paul

Looks like a good driver, what's the inside like??
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
You do know Mitch, Reality Shows are a thing, just look at Pickers......I can see the "A Man Across America" coming on my TV screen. There is house builder shows, landscape shows, cooking shows......galore.

Just a thought.....Martha Stewart started someplace and look at her now!!!!! You could be the Martha Stewart of Model A's!!!!!
i appreciate the plug but i dont think i am any martha stewart on A's. there are many more knowledgable barners on here than me. diagnosing a no spark or start condition is basically the same as other point style system cars with the model A having slight differences such as a pop out etc
...my forte is modern cars thats what i do all day / everyday..

per your other post i could use a sugar momma ,i think i could get the wife to agree

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 12-07-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #14
rosenkranswa

A number of years ago I came upon a '29 Model A Coupe stalled on the side of the road. It was a lovely couple who had just bought it and didn't have a clue what was wrong, but they had called a friend for help. I told them to hang tight while I went home and got my tools.

Came back in my '30 pickup with the tools which seemed to make them feel better. Proceeded to run some electrical checks then checked fuel flow - nothing. The gas gauge indicated just under a quarter tank, so tried the simple thing first and put a couple gallons of gas in in case he had a tank filter that was standing proud of the fuel level. Started right up and ran well. About that time the friend arrived with a tow truck behind her.

They have been very active members of our club now for many years.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #15
armchair67

When I was 15, my dad was living out if state for about a year working on a large case (he's an attorney). At the time I was trying to get an old 56 vw I owned up and running. I called a friend of his that had a ton of experience on old British cars-Morgans, MGs etc (my dad has a 51 MG). Even though it wasn't a make he normally worked on, he came over and spent time showing me how to get it running and tuned up (besides what person growing up in the 60s-70s didn't have at least some experience on one). The guy spent a few evenings after work for him and school for me. We became good friends outside of my dad and I will always remember him for not just fixing the car for me, but showing me how to do things. It's a good thing you are taking the time to help this young guy out. Great to see young people that are into old iron. And it is people such as yourself, every bit as much as the cars themselves , that will get people into the hobby and keep them there
armchair67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #16
Ted Duke

This is what will KEEP the hobby alive. Help when you see a need and don't be overly critical. We all make mistakes, buying, working on them and sometimes we even sell ones we should have kept. (1951 Chevy BelAir hardtop in my case, had an engine knoc, otherwise in perfect condition, but I traded it for a 55 (built on the Friday before Labor Day?) wish I had the 51 back.) Heck that was in the fifties, before many of you were born.

Ted
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote