Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
Cape Codder

Default Roadster vs. Closed Cab Pickup

Is there more room i.e. body to steering wheel in the Roadster then in the Closed Cab Pickup 1930/1931?
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Roadster vs. Closed Cab Pickup

Yes there is more room in the 30-31 roadster than the pickup . The seat back is adjustable to some degree in the roadster . My standard roadster with the taller top is very comfortable to me and I am 6.2. the taller top makes it easier to enter and exit than a deluxe model and I prefer the look
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
Cape Codder

Thanks Purdy sure appreciate the response. Any idea how your Roadster compares to the Roadster Pickup in room ?
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #4
Purdy Swoft

I don't know from experience because I don't have an open pickup but I suspect that the pickup is closer
Old 12-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #5
31a

The Roadster pickup is a challenge to get in and out of unless you change the top to fold down, being 6'2 made it difficult
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:39 AM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I have quit trying to get in the drivers side of the 1929 Roadster / open cab pickup. I get in the passenger side and slide over. Less trips to the chiropractor that way ( lol ) !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:52 AM   #7
Floats

Cape Codder,
I am 6 ft and have a Roadster Pickup. I have not compaired it to a CC Pickup as I have not seen one here in Cape Town.
Mine is a RHD with the spare in the left front fender, which means the driver door can open slightly more. I trimmed my seat back foam down to about an inch, which made a big difference in leg room. Obviously the seat back does not help getting in or out and since I fitted the hood it is rather A tight fit.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:41 AM   #8
Drive Shaft Dave

A friend of mine owns a 28 roadster pickup, on the occasion i drove it ,i found it hard to get in and out of it. I am not that big of a person , i think people were smaller back then. Also the 31 Phaeton was also difficult to enter and exit. I own a 30 coupe and it is much easier to get in and out.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
Purdy Swoft

The narrow doors make it harder to enter and exit the roadster and roadster pickups.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
barkleydave

It is easier to get in the passenger side of my CC. Spare on left makes it VERY tight.

Yes folks were smaller and so was I 25 years ago
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #11
Purdy Swoft

Because of parallel parking back in the day, I think that entry was suppose to be on the passenger side
Old 12-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #12
Patrick L.

There is adjustability of the seat back on STD roadsters ? Hmm, I'll look but never noticed anything on mine.

I really don't have a problem getting in or out of them [ I'm 6'1" and swelling a little more around the middle each year], but, its kind of a learned experience over the years.

I wonder if there is a real problem with that, if a shorter steer column would help.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Marco made this illustration that I think shows the relation between the Pick-up and a Roadster very well. (the seating between the open & closed cab is the same).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PickupRoadsterComparison.jpg (60.4 KB, 115 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #14
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Marco made this illustration that I think shows the relation between the Pick-up and a Roadster very well. (the seating between the open & closed cab is the same).

Wow. If that holds true for 30/31 also, then, I guess I'll probably stay away from a PU.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
Wow. If that holds true for 30/31 also, then, I guess I'll probably stay away from a PU.
Well, think about the length of the pick-up bed, and then locate it by way of aligning the two rear fenders, then see if the same does not hold true!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #16
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
There is adjustability of the seat back on STD roadsters ? Hmm, I'll look but never noticed anything on mine.

I really don't have a problem getting in or out of them [ I'm 6'1" and swelling a little more around the middle each year], but, its kind of a learned experience over the years.

I wonder if there is a real problem with that, if a shorter steer column would help.
Patrick, the backrest of the 30-31 roadster, standard or deluxe is adjustable. The adjustment is in the package tray. The package tray is two pieces with two rows of screw holes. if the pieces are bolted together using the back row of holes the seat backrest moves backward slightly. This is pretty well hidden under upholstery and will be difficult to find and adjust after prior assembly. I used the front row for Debs sake because she is the primary driver, it still feels comfortable for me. This original style part is listed in Brattons catalog on page 150 bottom of center column. Most people that didn't do the actual restoration of their roadster probably are not aware of this adjustment because it is completely out of sight. The older catalogs showed a detailed picture of how these parts fit together. The pics in the new catalog is not so good.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #17
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Patrick, the backrest of the 30-31 roadster, standard or deluxe is adjustable. The adjustment is in the package tray. The package tray is two pieces with two rows of screw holes. if the pieces are bolted together using the back row of holes the seat backrest moves backward slightly. This is pretty well hidden under upholstery and will be difficult to find and adjust after prior assembly. I used the front row for Debs sake because she is the primary driver, it still feels comfortable for me. This original style part is listed in Brattons catalog on page 150 bottom of center column. Most people that didn't do the actual restoration of their roadster probably are not aware of this adjustment because it is completely out of sight. The older catalogs showed a detailed picture of how these parts fit together. The pics in the new catalog is not so good.

As usual, this sounds Purdy good. Thanks. I've not had the need to look and have not done anything in that area. My Brattons book is a couple years old and doesn't seem to show that, but, thats OK. I'll go and have a look probably in the spring. Too darn cold up there right now.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #18
1931 flamingo

Before I bought my Tudor I was at an AACA meet. Saw a ccpu and a roadster pick-up. I 'm 5'10" and could get into the CCPU (30) but it was tight after getting in. The rpu I had great difficulty getting in and then couldn't bring my legs up to work the cluth or brakes (29). Got into a coupe and no problems, same with a four door. The front seat in my 31 Tudor is moved back about 6" and is fine once I get in (harder now since the hip revision surgery). The owners of the cars were very gracious in letting me ck them out.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #19
Purdy Swoft

I think that the 1928 thru june 1930 open pickups are closer than the later 30-31 pickups.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #20
pooch

I have a 28 roadster and a 28 CCPU .

It seems like I fit in the CCPU better , even though there is less room from seat back to wheel .

Maybe it is just because it is far easier to drop inside the CCPU with the much larger door and possible wider between the inside doors to stretch a bit more sideways.

Will run a tape over both of them when down in garage .

edit, checked width, at upper arm/shoulder height, the CCPU is one inch wider, it seems more.

Last edited by pooch; 12-03-2014 at 09:38 PM.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote