Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2018, 04:47 PM   #1
rer_239

Default Modern points

How does current get from the lower plate to the points? Does the current travel from the brass colored bottom plate thru the brass piece on the screw terminal on the top plate continuly or does it transfer when the bump on the bottom plate hits the brass piece on the screw terminal on the top plate? Hope this makes sense.
Thanks
Dick
rer_239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:11 PM   #2
wmws
BANNED

Default Re: Modern points

Not sure what you mean by the bump but the current is continuous through that leg. Some people say that system is no good, that you should have the flexible wire instead. I have never had trouble with that brass leg but you have to be careful that it doesn't touch the distributor body anywhere and short out. I trimmed mine to give it a little more clearance.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
Jim M

I'm sure you will get as many opinions as carter has little pills, but I struggled quite a while with the new distributor set up and got completely frustrated. Finally got up one morning and put it back the old way and it started right up and have not had a single problem since. From what I am told the old setup needs checking for correct adjustment frequently if you are a constant driver. I have not had that problem though I must admit I am definitely and occasional driver and then most days under 50 miles. Unless I have a significant problem in the future I will NEVER go back to the new set up. As Walter Cronkite says and that's the way it is - at least I think it was him. Happy and Healthy New Year to everyone!!!! Jim
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
Patrick L.

I'm another that doesn't have an issue with the 'modern' plate as long as the pig tail is used along with quality points/condensor.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote