Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2005, 11:22 AM   #1

Default 39 Tranny casting #

What is the casting number for a 39 Ford transmission?

Old 03-30-2005, 11:34 AM   #2

Default Re: 39 Tranny casting #

Car or Truck? The part number is stamped near the area where the transmount bolts on a car box.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:46 AM   #3

Sorry, 39 car 3speed transmission top shift. Thanks!

Old 03-30-2005, 12:02 PM   #4

The '39 transmission used the bare case originally released in 1937. The casting number is 78 indicating a 1937 release date. Note that the '39 gears are different, the 78 indicated just the bare case.

Charlie Stephens

Old 03-30-2005, 12:10 PM   #5

I assume I need to know the 39 shift cover number to idenify if it is a 39 trans?

Old 03-30-2005, 12:25 PM   #6

Dan-

You don't need a casting number to spot a '39 shift cover. It is easy to check and it only takes a second.

The '39 requires a different shifting top (I am not talking about the lever) than a pre-'39. There are a couple of reasons for this but I won't clutter your mind with them, just look on the left-hand side of the shift cover and you will see a screw. On pre-'39s the screw is 1/2" across. On '39s the screw is 5/8" across. If this sounds confusing let me know and I will send you a couple of pictures showing what I am taking about.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Old 03-30-2005, 12:57 PM   #7

Dan,

What you are looking for is not a "39 Ford Transmission" since a transmission that came with a 39 car from the factory (with 39 part numbers) can be a 37/38 style or the "39 style" distinguished by the desireable 2nd/high synchros. So you need to look at the synchro where the 2nd/high fork resides. If the slot is in the center, it is the old stle; if the slot is to the rear, you have the "39 style".

The corresponding shift fork (91A- part number) sits 1/4 inch further back than the earlier style. It can be put into the earlier style towers and vice versa so just looking at the outside of the towers won't conclusively tell you what you want. Here you need to look for the 91A part number on the fork.