Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
luckyal

Question Is it Roadster Pickup or open cab pickup

Whenever I post about my 1929 Roadster Pickup I get these sarcastic little posts that it is not a Roadster Pickup as there is no such thing. I am told it is an Open Cab Pickup.
In their catalogues Brattons, Snyders, Berts and Mikes refer to it as a Roadster pickup. Does that mean they are all wrong also and that they should change their terminology.
Thanks for your help !
Al
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
1930artdeco

Default Re: Is it Roadster Pickup or open cab pickup

I think the correct Ford term is 'open cab' but if you use roadster p/u everybody knows what you mean. So let people deal with it and ignore them as it is not a life or death issue.

Mike
Old 05-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Hicktick

Al , does your top go down ????

Then its a roadster .

If the top don't fold then its a open cab .

Don't sweat the small stuff .
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Nomenclature is something that has changed in the last decade or so where the proper names are the popular term to use over the fabricated words many have used. Open Cab Pick-up is the proper term for the 76A and 76B bodystyle if someone is to be politically correct.

Just a few other 'slang' words are "Touring Car" instead of Phaeton, "Splash Aprons" instead of Body Aprons, "Bellhousing" instead of Clutch Housing, "Backing Plates" instead of Brake Housing Plates, ...and the biggie one is, the term 'AR' instead of Early Model-A.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Bruce

There sure are a lot of experts in our hobby.
Technically, it is an Open Cab Pickup or Commercial. Put the dandy LeBaron Bonney folding top on it and it sure works like a Roadster. 'Course, if you live in England it might be called a "Drophead."
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
29ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Nomenclature is something that has changed in the last decade or so where the proper names are the popular term to use over the fabricated words many have used. Open Cab Pick-up is the proper term for the 76A and 76B bodystyle if someone is to be politically correct.

Just a few other 'slang' words are "Touring Car" instead of Phaeton, "Splash Aprons" instead of Body Aprons, "Bellhousing" instead of Clutch Housing, "Backing Plates" instead of Brake Housing Plates, ...and the biggie one is, the term 'AR' instead of Early Model-A.
Brent, Do you know where the term AR originated and what it actually stands for? I have seen this posted many times but do not know the history of it.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
CarlG

Depends on what colour it is, or what size tyres it has.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
Wick

Some of the terms are from the T era..."Touring Car" is one of them. Then if you had a (roadster) it was called a "Runabout". Heck folks are gonna call every Black model A.....you know im gonna say it....a Model T
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
WTSHNN

I've always wondered if the people who are so easily offended about the misuse of Model A nomenclature grab a kleenex or a tissue to console themselves.

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
Steve Wastler

29modelA,
In short, it goes back to confusion in understanding parts suffix lettering. the r standing for replacement. with the A and R suffix added poeple mistook the meaning to refer to the early cars, Not so.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
RonC

The quick answer is the "R" was added to the end of the part number to signify that the part was no longer in production but was available for “repairs” because the current production part will not fit an earlier vehicle. A lot of first production 1927 and 1928 cars used parts that can not be replaced with later version parts. Hence most parts had an “R” at the end of the number for teh early cars.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

Al,
Call me anything, as long as you call me for SUPPER! ALWAYS being CORRECT ain't NO FUN!
OH! WAIT!, PANIC!! I think I just "DROPPED MY HEAD"
bILL w.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
Charlie Stephens

I have a '31 roadster pickup with a Model C engine, that is my story and I am sticking to it.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
Joe K

Quote:
I've always wondered if the people who are so easily offended about the misuse of Model A nomenclature grab a kleenex or a tissue to console themselves.
Some folks block posts from people they have determined do not have a fine point car.

Others folks block posts from people they have determined DO have a fine point car.

I kind of think of myself as an equal opportunity poster AND reader.

And some people have WAAAY too much time on their hands.

Joe K
Old 05-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #15
Keith True

My grandfather sold A's new,and they were never referred to as open cabs there.They were roadster pickups.Phaetons were touring cars.He said nobody there called them anything else.As to the AR thing,I told a fellow I met here about an early chassis that was complete except for most of the frame.When the farmer needed a piece of channel steel he would whack a section of the frame out with a hack saw.Every early brake part was intact.I took him over to look at it,and I warned him about trying to explain to an old timer there was no such thing as an AR.When old Charlie asked if he was the fellow looking for the AR chassis parts the guy said no,I'm here after the early 28 parts.He left empty handed,Charlie told him he didn't have any early 28 parts,he just had that AR chassis.Right or wrong,if he had just nodded his head he could have walked out with the whole thing.You can't screw with old people,they screw back.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #16
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSHNN View Post

-Tim
Or how about the guy that lubricates everything with Vasaline (Woops -- Petroleum Jelly !)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #17
Ken Ehrenhofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
The quick answer is the "R" was added to the end of the part number to signify that the part was no longer in production but was available for “repairs” because the current production part will not fit an earlier vehicle. A lot of first production 1927 and 1928 cars used parts that can not be replaced with later version parts. Hence most parts had an “R” at the end of the number for teh early cars.
I thought I might expand on this a little. In my memory (and it is going fast) The early 28 brake system was so bad it was outlawed in the State of Pennsylyvania. This means Ford had to go to the seperate emergency brake system real fast and that AR was then used as a designation for a replacement parts. Doc Kalinka and all of us "early birds" started using the "AR' designation to incorrectly refer to Early 28 cars and parts in the Ford parts books not realizing we were not correct it went on for years until just a few years ago we started calling them "Early 28" cars and parts.
I hope this helps, Ken
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #18
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ehrenhofer View Post
I thought I might expand on this a little. In my memory (and it is going fast) The early 28 brake system was so bad it was outlawed in the State of Pennsylyvania. This means Ford had to go to the seperate emergency brake system real fast and that AR was then used as a designation for a replacement parts. Doc Kalinka and all of us "early birds" started using the "AR' designation to incorrectly refer to Early 28 cars and parts in the Ford parts books not realizing we were not correct it went on for years until just a few years ago we started calling them "Early 28" cars and parts.
I hope this helps, Ken
Ken, are you sure the braking system was so bad it was outlawed? IMO bad brakes are defined by what the 1928 Chevrolet had. And remember, the 1927 T only had a brake inside the transmission that operated just the rear wheels, --no front wheel brakes. I think what PA disapproved of was it did not have a separate Emergency braking system from the 4-wheel system. My experience with the early 28 Ford braking system is quite adequate, ...just a pain to setup properly ...however not as big of a pain as the 1928 Chevrolet brakes were!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #19
spdway1

I just bought a pair of 1930 Weaver Jack Stands, I found an old advertisement for them and they are called "Auto Crutches"

WANTED: Weaver Service Can.
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #20
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicktick View Post
Al , does your top go down ????

Then its a roadster .

If the top don't fold then its a open cab .

Don't sweat the small stuff .

Actually the top on an Open Cab (RPU) does not fold down like the top on a Roadster (car). The whole top is simply removed on a nice day.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #21
Rock Hornbuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post

The biggest slang of them all is "Motor" when referring to an Engine.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #22
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ehrenhofer View Post
I hope this helps, Ken
Was the early brake system really ''outlawed''??
It was not dangerous & Ford brakes on the first Model A were often superior to the other makes in a similar price range. Actually, I think Ford changed to a separate emergency system because of laws in Europe & other markets. Foreign sales were a huge profit for Ford in the early pre War era.
The 1932 Ford went back to a similar early 1928 brake system but a separate emergency brake was also produced for most foreign sales.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #23
Keith True

It was never really outlawed,Ford just couldn't sell cars in Pennsylvania with the combined braking system.In the early 70's somebody researched and wrote a very detailed article on just what happened.There's got to be somebody here who remembers who wrote it.I will come across it someday,I have every piece of paper I collected pertaining to the A since 1968.It seems like New Jersey was involved too,but that may have been something to do with the gas tank.Somebody tried to prohibit the tank in the lap,but it was shown not to be a problem.My limited experience with the early braking system has been excellent.Just a little work on the setup and they are good for a long time.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
Hicktick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Actually the top on an Open Cab (RPU) does not fold down like the top on a Roadster (car). The whole top is simply removed on a nice day.

Don't pay me any attention , I don't know anything about these cars .
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #25
southfork

The early brake system was phased out by June of 1928 according to the book "Henry's Lady," but didn't it continue on in the USA on commercial cars well into 1929? What's the latest Model A built for the American market that still has the early brake system (with the left hand emergency brake arm)? Any of you Model A experts seen left hand brakes on 1929 Model A's? If so, were they correct?
southfork is offline   Reply With Quote