Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2014, 10:36 PM   #61
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Default Re: Parts Hoarding: a Discouragement to Newbies?

This thread will likely never come to an end.

"Hoarder" is not a judgemental term at all, it is descriptive.

Psychologists and psychiatrists have a bible called the DSM5. (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual version5). As you would expect, "hoarding disorder" is in there.
The plain truth is that hoarders don't think like the rest of us so there is no reason to try to change them. And I agree that this does not apply to a resto shop like Brent's or others who need to stockpile parts for builds that they are doing.
Enjoy:

Hoarding disorder is characterized by the persistent difficulty discarding or parting with possessions, regardless of the value others may attribute to these possessions, according to the APA’s new criteria:
The behavior usually has harmful effects — emotional, physical, social, financial, and even legal — for the person suffering from the disorder and family members. For individuals who hoard, the quantity of their collected items sets them apart from people with normal collecting behaviors. They accumulate a large number of possessions that often fill up or clutter active living areas of the home or workplace to the extent that their intended use is no longer possible.
Symptoms of the disorder cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational or other important areas of functioning including maintaining an environment for self and/or others. While some people who hoard may not be particularly distressed by their behavior, their behavior can be distressing to other people, such as family members or landlords.
Hoarding disorder is included in DSM-5 because research shows that it is a distinct disorder with distinct treatments. Using DSM-IV, individuals with pathological hoarding behaviors could receive a diagnosis of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, anxiety disorder not otherwise specified or no diagnosis at all, since many severe cases of hoarding are not accompanied by obsessive or compulsive behavior. Creating a unique diagnosis in DSM-5 will increase public awareness, improve identification of cases, and stimulate both research and the development of specific treatments for hoarding disorder.
This is particularly important as studies show that the prevalence of hoarding disorder is estimated at approximately two to five percent of the population. These behaviors can often be quite severe and even threatening. Beyond the mental impact of the disorder, the accumulation of clutter can create a public health issue by completely filling people’s homes and creating fall and fire hazards.

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 09-29-2014 at 02:24 AM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #62
BILL WILLIAMSON

Well, IF anyone EVER called me a HOARDER, I'd SIC my Dog on them & say, "GO HOME FOREVER & MIND YO' OWN BUSINESS"
Bill W.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:48 PM   #63
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
After giving some thought to this ('hoarding') question, and reading the many comments posted here, I just don't see the 'beef'.

With all the myriad of parts suppliers and of the endless supply of newly-made (and constantly increasing) parts for the Ford Model A - why all the hub-bub about some crusty old codger who has a bunch of greasy, rusty old junk.

A great many people would much rather have a shinny new (non greasy, non rusty, non wore-out) part. And they don't have to clutter up their garage and basement (for years and years - decades) with unneccessary old junk. Just buy what you want when you need it.

If some crusty old curmudgeon feels good about filling up his house with seldom - if ever - used junk, just be thankful that it is him and not you !
You must have missed the 4 page post called "parts rant".
Old 09-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #64
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
Advice to all the hoarders out there who are on the FordBarn:

Please tell all your family members just what all your junky parts are worth.
Make them understand how valuable it will be to them when you you pass on so that they don't just scrap it all for pennies.
My kids know enough about my "stash" that they wouldn't let it go for scrap prices.

That's the problem, a hoarder sees an unreasonable worth to the stuff he has. This unreasonable amount is then ingrained into any family member so when the owner dies the family feels the money offered is an insult and would rather see it junked then be insulted.

The other problem i see is the shear quantity that some have. Was there not a story here on Fordbarn about a guy that had to "take it all" and spent months removing parts from a property? How many of us have the room for 10, 12 boxes never mind 10, 12 truck loads?
Old 09-28-2014, 11:05 PM   #65
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley's restoration View Post
i am sure brent can attest the difference between a hoarder and us (restorers for hire) you never know what car is next and you can only hope that you have the parts in inventory for the next car...to finish it so the next one comes in sooner
hard to find stuff constantly rotates....valve chamber covers stack to the ceiling lol
tk
To me there are two kinds of hoarders; a person that collects items for future use in times of shortage, and where the perceived importance of the items far exceeds their true value.

Restorers, to me, are the first kind. If a parts is needed it will be used or sold to be used by another.
The second kind just adds and adds and adds, never to sell, use, or part with until death.

So if you have 100 carbs and no intention of parting with even one because then you will have only 99 your the second kind.

I often wonder how the life of the second kind of hoarder would change if they had the money realized from the sale of their hoard. What they could buy, maybe the car of their dreams, or the additional visits of children, grand and great-grand children.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 09-28-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:00 AM   #66
DougVieyra

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Mike V. Florida - post # 64 - "You must have missed the 4 page post called "parts rant".

Mike - for all the 'ranting' about crummy reproduction parts, I notice that there are quite a few Parts Houses selling reproduction parts for the Ford Model A. All seem to be healthy, strong, and doing well as a 'service industry'. For all the grips (well deserved) about poor quality, there still remains quite a number of excellent repo. parts being made - and if not excellent, certainly of sufficient quality to please a great number of buyers / restorers.

Having a 'hoard' of original Model A parts, I seldom have need for reproduction parts. But when I do, I do so without any great fear and am generally pleased with the product. And I suspect that a great many other Model A owners also find a great many of the reproduction parts work quite well.

- Doug Vieyra, Cramudgeon Hoader
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:42 AM   #67
pooch

And I have read that the only gripe with a brookville repo is the shape of the rivets .

Who is ever going to pick a repo body from an original in 30 years ,(especially if the rivets are corrected ) except for the purists here and the judges, and what happens when they are dead ?
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:17 AM   #68
Tom Wesenberg

I'm not a hoarder. I just suffer from lack of storage space.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #69
triumphleroy

In my old mans humble opinion more harm has been done to our world by the all knowing, PSYCHIATRIST and PSYCHOLOGIST than any "old man" collector or hoarder........
triumphleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #70
DougVieyra

Tom Wessenberg : I'm not a hoarder. I just suffer from lack of storage space.

Tom - I LOVE that line ! Like poetry - it says a lot in its brevitiy.

- Doug Vieyra, Junk Monger
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:28 PM   #71
Keith True

I've seen a few piles of iron go for scrap that shouldn't have.I met up with a friend that was doing an estate cleanout,the old fellow had been collecting A parts for over 50 years.All heavy iron.No sheet metal,no horns,no goodies,just frames,engines,axles,wheels,bumpers,etc.I followed my friend into a gas station when I saw he had a load of A parts.He had a pretty good idea of his tonnage,and what he would get for it,and offered me the load for $1500.He got a dozen loads out of the place.He actually paid for the scrap.Other scrappers had wanted money to do the cleanout.The heirs had contacted some Model A people,and got so insulted they put the collection out to bid for scrap.Another problem I've seen with an estate collection is the insurance bugaboo.It has been a problem to get into a yard/barn/collection cleanout without insurance.I had a chance to pick up a couple dozen A engines a few years ago in a barn.I could not step foot on the property,nor could anyone with me without liability insurance and workmans comp insurance for anybody that stepped through the gate.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #72
bart78

That's nuts having to have insurance. I don't think anyone around here would even think about that. And we are in a area with a lot of snakes.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:59 PM   #73
dumb person

i knew someone who had dozens of cars including 5 identical restored cars, left to rot outside for 20 years. He refused to sell any of them & when they were falling into the ground i decided there was enough parts between the 5 to make one good one + a speedster, by then he had crushed them "I didn't know you wanted them".
Seems kinda sad...

i notice some hoarders own land but never build any sheds on them. The money they spend buying things to stack in the mud could buy a nice shed.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #74
Model A Man

Talking Re: Parts Hoarding - requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
A good point has been brought up by a couple of earlier posts : When the 'Old Codger' dies - what happens to his 'stuff' ? The stuff he knew had value, generally means very little to others outside the hobby, and the scrap yard is certainly one very distinct possiblity. I am in that 'boat'. And I have given some thought of what might be the best way for me to feel good about how my 'junk' is disposed of.

In my 'Last Will & Testiment' I have given instructions that all of my 'old car' stuff be given to : (and I name a good friend who I know will appreciate the barn full of NOS Ford parts).

In the meantime, as I wind down both my life and my collection, I review all the "Parts Wanted" links in all the Old Car clubs : MAFCA, MARC, FORD BARN, Chapter News Letter, etc. When I see that someone needs something, if I have it, I contact them.

The less of this (unknown) stuff for my surviving kin to have to deal with the better. Meanwhile, while I am alive, I continue feeling good knowing that I have a comfortable 'margin of safety' as regards to original parts of my two Model A Fords.

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, Calif. - Docent of Eureka Ford Factory
Can I be your new good friend?
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #75
tbirdtbird
BANNED

haha i knew my post would flush out the hoarders....I have known many. Re-read my post and you will realize you are looking in a mirror...

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 09-29-2014 at 09:38 PM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #76
Chris in WNC

Just be certain your heirs know about the value.

Years ago I took my adult daughter out to my old garage in Florida and told her, "This looks like pure junk to you, but believe me there is some value here. So after I croak, get a couple of my trusted Model A Bubbas in to give you some guidance when you sell it off."

Hope she remembers that when the time comes.

Or better yet, I hope one of my fantasies comes true: either the one where several hundred items (mostly non-Model A) that we want to get rid of are already GONE before Alice & I leave this earth, or the other one where one of my grandchildren wants all my old car stuff.

Gotta keep a few Model A things, just in case I get another one someday but most of it I want gone. If you have occasion to be in the Asheville NC area anytime please come by the house and buy some of it or let me give you a few things that have limited cash value.

Will not cut loose of my Brumfield 5.9 head until Larry announces another production run. Not likely.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:40 AM   #77
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
I met a very rich, very young married lady about (5) years ago who said she would be the first & last to visit every advertised garage sale in local upscale subdivisions.

She was extremely intelligent & just loved what she was doing -- i.e., not at all a pack rat -- she just bought & sold & never sought employment.

She told me how much she loved it all.
idle curiosity, H.L. - did the young lady indicate if her wheeling & dealing was the source of her wealth or was she wealthy before she started?
Old 10-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #78
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphleroy View Post
In my old mans humble opinion more harm has been done to our world by the all knowing, PSYCHIATRIST and PSYCHOLOGIST than any "old man" collector or hoarder........
Smart Man!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #79
Wrenchy61

Default Bumper Chrome Quality

Howdy,

Last Sunday, I ordered a '31 Model A front chrome bumper kit from Macs for $295. less 15% and shipping. This included the end nuts, bolts and washers as well as the three bumper clamps complete with backing plates.

Today I received the bumper and gingerly opened to box to see a gouge in the chrome on the front side almost the width of the bar. The back sides of these bars have some rough plating but obviously not like the front.

According to the book "Model A Ford Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards, FOMOCO never furnished polished chrome edges and backs of the bars. I would like to hear some comments on whether these bumpers from MACS meet average standards or expectations. Do these bumpers flash rust on the back side?

The end bolt and spacer are chromed which will have to be scuffed to be painted black to look original.

I contacted MACS about the quality who furnished a reference number via email. So far I emailed them and asked if a shipping label for the return would be furnished with that number or when the bumper would be picked up for return. I have not received any information.

My next step is to write to "Matty" in Florida,the CEO of the Eckler group of automotive parts companies. Why not? Companies should be run from the top down not the bottom up.

I am very frustrated with doing a frame up restoration and trying to just have this '31 pickup look like the day my Dad bought it new in June. I am not interested in a Henry or some nickle dime ribbon or lacquer plated trophy.

I would never again do a Model A restoration. I have had nothing but parts vendors, local body shops, engine re-builders, and platters trying to ripping me off.

The body shop specializing in Model A restoration had my all my components including all new running boards, splash aprons, rear fenders, and a hood for the winter to paint along with the cab and the front fenders. The box and the cab were cherry. The chassis was done separately by another vendor. Come spring, I got the bill for $17,000. spring. There were runs in some components and unpainted areas in the cab. To top it off, this guy was a religious freak handing out prayer cards and pictures.

These same Jesus freaks painted the headlight buckets but returned very few parts. I have spent over $125 to out fit the headlights. This does not include the replacement of a new reflector and a new outer latching rim. The freak substituted the chrome plated steel rim of a 28 or 29 and kept the stainless steel rim, and substituted a pitted reflector for my silver plated reflector.

I dropped off my front bumper to be chromed at an Appleton area shop for an agreed upon price of $400. When I got home the shop foreman called to say the bumper needed straightening for an additional $50 because they had to send it out. I returned to see the bumper had been heated and straightened which was debatable whether this was really needed. They never sent it out. I picked up the bumper and ordered the entire bumper kit from MACS.

An engine re-builder in Green Bay quoted a price of about $750 to balance the original Model A engine, replace the cam with my furnished cam, and installed stainless steel valves, new furnished gaskets, and adjustable lifters. When I returned to pickup the engine, the bill was $1600 plus tax. The idiots ran the stud bolts so deep into the block that almost every cylinder head stud nut is short of two threads.

Then the splash aprons from Gaslight are of such poor quality that the hole for the spare tire mount is 1/2" off of center and the aprons don't fit the front fenders. Next summer I am going to install my original aprons.

I don't want to cry on anyone's shoulder but just want to let people know the pitfalls that I have encountered trying to do my best with this restoration. I am constantly returning poor quality parts and trying to correct the required quantities.

Take care and God Bless,
Maury

P.S. I think these religious freaks figure they are forgiven even before they sin because they are the chosen ones!
Wrenchy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #80
pooch

Wrenchy I feel for ya ,

Nothing worse than being ripped off ...and a lousy job to boot .

And the bumpers are quite easy to straighten cold in a press.

Maybe the idiots don't even realize there should be a 1/4 inch bend out in the middle anyway.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote